Started exercise... what happens now?

moolumps

So I successfully lost 5 stone by following SW alone, now I've signed up to the gym! I've had my induction and so far have done 3 full sessions - every other day, today I'm trying zumba and still hope to fit in at least one more visit to the gym and maybe a swim before next Thursday's weigh in. Loving it so far!
I'm wondering what effect the big increase in exercise is going to have. What are people's experiences? When can I expect to see that the exercise is helping with weight loss?
My consultant says that for four weeks my body will retain water so don't be disappointed... but then what happens? A big loss to make up for the slow month??
I know everyone's different but would love to hear about other people's experience.
Thank you!

You may retain water so your muscles can repair but in a few weeks time you'll see body shape differences you might stay the same on the scales but are replacing fat for muscle. You might want to take measurements so you can see those going down if the scale doesn't show a change

Definitely take measurements! I do calf, thigh, waist, hips, chest and upper arm. Its so good to see the cm's go down.

You may retain water so your muscles can repair but in a few weeks time you'll see body shape differences you might stay the same on the scales but are replacing fat for muscle. You might want to take measurements so you can see those going down if the scale doesn't show a change

I totally agree, the scles might not be moving but your body will definitely be changing.

About a year ago I went from couch potato to doing 15km obstacle runs! I started at almost 12stone and got down to 10stone4 through diet and exercise but not through slimming world. I am however now doing slimming world after regaining some of that weight after travelling for 2 months. I would say using exercise to loose weight I have learned a few things. Firstly exercise is a truly unreliable way of 'loosing weight', your main goal for exercise should primarily be fitness, confidence and strength. It's becomes addictive however the scales will lie to you. You may go up before you go down, exercising at an hour a day 5 times a week I was often putting on weight due to eating habits. Secondly you do become more hungry, I think that is where slimming world becomes an ideal way to improve fitness as many people overcompensate their foot intake with what they have burned with eating more bad stuff. Also do your measurements, I found that when my body wasn't going down on scales my waist to hip ration was changing. I gained a lot of muscle and toned up a lot which didn't show on the scales. The water retention for me was the most annoying thing as I would do 3 hours of running then the week after I was suddenly up 2 lb and getting down about it. I would say exercise for fun and fitness not for weight loss and you will do great.

I certainly notice more change of "shape" than weight loss to start with, trade off between losing fat and gaining muscle I suppose?

Thank you all. I'm very happy with the weight I've lost and the time had definitely come to start toning up, after 3 babies and years of being overweight I'm left with plenty of wobbly bits! Not expecting any miracles but was wondering how exercise effects losses as I do still have a stone to lose and I would love that to happen by Christmas (or at least very close) So the exercise won't necessarily boost the weight loss, that's fine, the important thing is that I'm committed to exercising and a healthier way of life for good. No going back!
Really wish I'd measured from the start because there would be some impressive inches lost.
Today is a good day, went to buy some sportswear and was thrilled to buy a size 14 bottoms and medium top and bra, 12 - 14, was amazed I could get them over my head!!! For me it is about the clothes size and feeling comfortable rather than the number on the scales so I'm very happy!

Back