Starting Exante today

How nice fitting in to your jeggings. Well done !
Its the aftertaste of the choc shake I dislike. It has a strong bran taste to me,might just swerve them.
I haven't ordered any bars as I seem to remember I couldn't bear the metallic taste of the cambs ones.. I think we all taste them differently and its the same as real food down to personal preference. I've read the sweet n sour soup is nice might order some of that.
That really helped what you said about just getting on with it. I was overthinking/complacating eating out tomorrow, fretting and worrying. Its just one meal out I cant avoid so I'll just get on with it. Thank you x
Ah that's good to hear - so pleased it helped Years ago when I did lighterlife I frequently ate on a Friday evening and had a few drinks and it never effected my weight losses - if anything it seemed to give it a bit of a kick start again. Enjoy your lunch x

Had my lunch out yesterday and was very well behaved, chose well and had a lovely time. My friend even said I looked glowing, which is always nice to hear :) I just "got on with it" Shake for breakfast and lunch and just water to drink..
Just about to order some more shakes from Exante now I know the flavours I prefer.

How are you getting on Jeannie?

Had my lunch out yesterday and was very well behaved, chose well and had a lovely time. My friend even said I looked glowing, which is always nice to hear :) I just "got on with it" Shake for breakfast and lunch and just water to drink..
Just about to order some more shakes from Exante now I know the flavours I prefer.

How are you getting on Jeannie?
Sounds like you're doing great - I think it's important to still enjoy nice times with food whilst we're exante-ing! I'm still getting on with getting on. I've not been weighed since I started 11 days ago and don't intend to do so for a couple of months but I can tell I've lost - even the underwires in my bra aren't digging in any more
What shakes you going for? I think I could just about live on the porridge. Have you tried the little squirty water enhancers? I think they're lovely. x I'm just thinking - you're friend saying you're glowing - what a lovely positive stroke to store X

Last edited:
How lovely that your clothes are fitting better :) Really pleased for you. It is such a good feeling isn't it ! What was behind your decision not to weigh for a long time? Do you get despondent when the losses are small? 11 days in you must be visibly slimmer now, hope the compliments start rolling in for you soon Jeannie. :)

I have only tried the shakes. My faves are Lemon cheesecake smoothie, strawberry,vanilla and banana. I ordered more last night the sweet sour noodles get good reviews so ordered those and the chilli. I havent tried bars as when I did Cambs 10 years ago they had such a strong metallic/bran aftertaste for me. Not tried the porridge wish I had now. And I only ever drink plain water, have for years which is one good habit I've stuck to

Gardening today then going to see Lionel Shriver speak in town tonight. So plenty to get on with. Still can't believe how easy I'm finding Exante. I will just do it for 3 weeks though, thinking about what I'll do after ? I have read Jason Fung's book and I like his emphasis on why dieters always gain back weight and his approach seems different all to do with insulin and ways to counteract its impact.

Choc shakes still going begging if they're any use to anyone x

Yes, if the losses are smaller then I start wondering if it's worth it. A colleague is doing Weight Watchers and losing a pound a week - I would find that soul destroying however much I had to lose. I much prefer getting on the scales and being pleased with a cumulative loss and that also keeps me motivated - the thought of a big "reveal" further down the line. Thank you for the encouragement - we all need that and I really appreciate it!

I'm not a big fan of the bars though handy if I'm out and about. I love the sweet and sour noodles - one of my favourites too. Nice to have a bit of texture and makes it feel like you're actually eating something.

Oh I'm a big Lionel Shriver fan - apart from Kevin I've read lots of her other books. I love the way she characterises people as well as the stories she tells - was listening to her on Radio 4 a while back, very interesting. I've just been in the garden too - doing a bit of tidying and weeding. The sun is shining and it's a glorious day. The student population is starting to return after the Easter break so lots of people strolling about and enjoying the day.

After Total Solution I'll do Maintenance - and then I need to do some work on my reasons for over eating which I know very well. For me it's about having a secure attachment to food and so rather than comfort eating it's often a thing I turn to when things are going very well. I need to find a long term way of managing that though as I know it's not healthy and it's been a pattern for a long time now.

I've just Googled Jason Fong. Looks interesting - especially his theories on intermittent fasting. I was reading the other day how fasting switches on some good genes which has a good impact on overall health. Once I'm at the weight I want to be I think I'll look at doing that for wellbeing reasons as opposed to anything else. A friend has been on a seminar about how dieting doesn't work and has sent me lots of links to articles - they say embrace your weight and don't be swayed by the desire to conform to societal expectations . Easy to say when your knees aren't groaning and your clothes aren't uncomfortably tight!

You're doing so well - finding it easy suggests you're really in the zone? And it sounds like that will continue whatever you choose to do eating wise after the 3 weeks. What an excellent kick start you have given you're self. In short, we are doing fabulously well! x

Aren't we marvellous !! We is twinklin', In the zone, Rockin' it :)

I have been down the route of self acceptance, all well and good if you can do it, and I truly believe that some (addmitedly very few) people can. I envy them as they have found peace and with surety enjoy life without self criticism. A slim friend of mine years ago recommended Susie Orbach and Carol Munter books, their writing was from a very psychodynamic perspective which makes sense in the moment yet I could never translate it to my everyday life. Although it pains me to admit it each time I have lost weight I have always regained so I can see why your friend bought into the idea.

Yes, its the knees and back that are a killer. I think we all have a weight that we are familiar with where our joints stop hurting. Mine is 14 stone. Roll on that number! I'm happy with 1 lb a week losses from that point on too, hence the 3 week stint. Saying that I can appreciate that you need the satisfaction of a big old loss! As with most things it's horses for courses.

I'm looking forward to the talk tonight, will have to leave out at 6 o'clock so will have to change my eating times. I like to eat at 11, 3 and 7, seems to suit but will eat before I leave as I dont want to be hungry and tempted whilst I'm out. I think Lionel Shriver has written about her weight too cant remember what her issues were though. Did you read her book "big Brother"? It was a book group book and prompted a really interesting discussion.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday an speak soon x

Aren't we marvellous !! We is twinklin', In the zone, Rockin' it :)

I have been down the route of self acceptance, all well and good if you can do it, and I truly believe that some (addmitedly very few) people can. I envy them as they have found peace and with surety enjoy life without self criticism. A slim friend of mine years ago recommended Susie Orbach and Carol Munter books, their writing was from a very psychodynamic perspective which makes sense in the moment yet I could never translate it to my everyday life. Although it pains me to admit it each time I have lost weight I have always regained so I can see why your friend bought into the idea.

Yes, its the knees and back that are a killer. I think we all have a weight that we are familiar with where our joints stop hurting. Mine is 14 stone. Roll on that number! I'm happy with 1 lb a week losses from that point on too, hence the 3 week stint. Saying that I can appreciate that you need the satisfaction of a big old loss! As with most things it's horses for courses.

I'm looking forward to the talk tonight, will have to leave out at 6 o'clock so will have to change my eating times. I like to eat at 11, 3 and 7, seems to suit but will eat before I leave as I dont want to be hungry and tempted whilst I'm out. I think Lionel Shriver has written about her weight too cant remember what her issues were though. Did you read her book "big Brother"? It was a book group book and prompted a really interesting discussion.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday an speak soon x

Afternoon - you'll see I've changed a bit since yesterday. Inadvertently saw one of my old clients on here yesterday afternoon and so had to change my photo and request a name change for fear that she might recognise me. I'm now completely incognito - shhhh!!!!!

Anyhow - yes, we are rocking although I was rocking slightly less when I tried to make the vanilla shake into a hot latte earlier. Disgusting! Should have stuck to my oxo cube followed by a maple syrup pancake as usual...

How was Lionel - will definitely have to check out "Big Brother"? I love a good book recommendation. I've read some Orbach and saw her speak at the Sage once. I too have tried the self acceptance thing but somehow I just can't accept myself at this size - it doesn't feel like the real me. Apart from looking awful I feel unhealthy and older than my age as my joints creak and groan. Anyway our knees will be like those of a newborn foal before we know it (mmm probably not a good analogy as they wobble and fall over all the time but you'll get my drift!)

Do you know Transactional Analysis? Lighterlife uses it a lot for its group sessions. That makes more sense to me about my eating - my inner Child craves the attachment to food - a recipe for disaster a lot of the time. Pardon the pun.

How are you doing? We appear to be doing amazingly well so far - I'm feeling as if I've getting on with life and exante is just ticking along in the background, doing it's thing and I don't have to worry or think about it at all now. Fingers crossed that continues.x

Hi Davina, Mum's the word !

All good with me today, thank you. Apart from being very cold. Was wearing 2 pairs of trousers, 3 tops and 2 pairs of thick socks earlier! Ketosis or just British weather? I tried the sweet and sour noodles today. Undecided ? Maybe if I add some soy sauce they would be nicer. It's the thick consistancy I have a problem with. Will give them another go though. I have more of my beloved lemon cheesecake smoothies, so will enjoy my dinner tonight.

Lionel Shriver was not as I expected. I've seen her on Newsnight doing talks and I thought it would be the same sort of well thought out philosophical thing. It wasn't!.
Maybe I should have paid closer attention to the context as it was the end of a literature celebration week so she spoke about her latest book 'The Mandables' which I haven't read. That was followed by questions from the audience. I had a really lovely evening though and didn't allow myself to be persuaded to have cocktails,despite gentle nudging. result!

I have read a bit about TA. I didn't realise Lighterlife used it. Would you consider having therapy? If it makes sense to you and you are in the right mind set, maybe the way to go. You did amazingly well getting down to a size 8 with LL. That is teeny tiny ! I have never been smaller than a size 12/14. and that was in my teens /twenties. Do you intend to get to that size again?

Now, your mention of an OXO cube had me buzzing. I had never thought of that..... Have now!

I've not noticed ketosis related coldness this time round though it has been snowing here today and so really cold. Mind you I'm still wearing my thermal top every day - as my mother us s to say, ne'er cast a clout till May be out. It's a northern thing...

I'll let you into a secret - I eat the sweet and sour noodles raw. I know it sounds disgusting but I feel I need something crunchy to eat and I like be the strong flavour. I've just has the breakfast eggs as an omelette with soy sauce. Very tasty. Well relatively speaking! I am programmed to have something savoury and then sweet at mealtimes so have one of the meals or soups then fizzy water with the lime water enhancer or an Oxo cube followed by the pancakes or a shake. Makes me feel like I've had a 2 course meal.

I'm impressed by your resolve - Lionel Shriver and no cocktails. That is a result. I'll have to take a look at The Mandables. Will you read it now or has the event taken the edge off your appetite for it? My Saturday night out is cancelled as my friend has had a family drama. Phew! I'll be able to knock myself out on my own with an Exante sausage patty and a can of Dr Pepper Zero.

I would love to get down to a size 8 again though it seems a long way off. I'm dreaming about it at the moment and visualising it is helping me stay focussed. Do you have a size in mind for yourself? I forgot to ask - are you getting weighed weekly? I dug out all of my old Lighterlife books yesterday and reading the maintenance one took me right back to those size 8 days - seemed like a lifetime ago.

I have had enough therapy to last a lifetime. I'm a psychotherapist and so had to have 40 sessions a year during the period that I was training. I've not dieted for ages, not since I qualified and so I'm hoping that things will be different this time and afterwards because of all of the work I've done on gaining self awareness and working though some things that impact on my relationship with food. Well that's what I'm hoping for anyway. My therapist friend and I are always discussing our relationships with food as she is similar to me. She's the one going for self acceptance at the moment. I've not told her I'm dieting never mind using exante because I think she'd frown upon it. Have you told people that you're doing exante? x

Hi

You seem to be motoring along. I am interested in your LL experience. I took a taster 30 min cousulling try out but it was a bit weird so am thinking maybe not?
I started the 30 day shred at the same time as exante and on the scales(should have followed your example!) have stayed the same for a week but clothes wise things are fitting better so that is the aim. Plus was shocked by my body fat % so am exercising to get more muscle and change the balance.

weird how everyone likes different things. I love tomato soup (with chilli powder in), hate the porridge, have 5 sachets of piripiri chicken I can never eat as it was gross. I am off shakes but as bars and soups not giving much loss maybe I need to shake a bit!...and I like the vanilla with coffee in if I am in the mood.

Hope it is going well-my little motivator is to try smaller clothes on every day-what are you both doing?

Canny

Hi

You seem to be motoring along. I am interested in your LL experience. I took a taster 30 min cousulling try out but it was a bit weird so am thinking maybe not?
I started the 30 day shred at the same time as exante and on the scales(should have followed your example!) have stayed the same for a week but clothes wise things are fitting better so that is the aim. Plus was shocked by my body fat % so am exercising to get more muscle and change the balance.

weird how everyone likes different things. I love tomato soup (with chilli powder in), hate the porridge, have 5 sachets of piripiri chicken I can never eat as it was gross. I am off shakes but as bars and soups not giving much loss maybe I need to shake a bit!...and I like the vanilla with coffee in if I am in the mood.

Hope it is going well-my little motivator is to try smaller clothes on every day-what are you both doing?

Canny
I think that the issue with the LL counselling is that it's pretty basic and I have some concerns now about it being delivered by the LL rep rather than someone trained in it - a little knowledge can be dangerous! Its many years since I did LL and I think that now that I know more about it myself from my own training I would find their counselling a bit odd too.

Yes I'm just trying on clothes every couple of days. I also took some hideous pictures at the start which I had someone else look at today and they could instantly see a difference so that's enough for me. I just find that the scales are not my friend if I'm dieting in any way at all - the results dictate my mood and commitment to the diet so for me it's best to keep away from them for long periods of time.

I've never tried the tomato soup so think as you both like it I'll include it in my next order. I've not been exercising. I used to run a lot on the treadmill but I've got an injured knee - what exercise are you doing? I'd love to find a really good 10 minute a day toning routine so that I could fit it in without thinking about it! x

I am doing the jillian Michaels 30 day shred -is a dvd but level 1 and 2 are on utube. It is probably hard on the knees a bit jump. I am on day 6 today and am feeling very pleased with myself. At the moment I am committed to staying the 30 days on both exante and 30 day shred but if I get under work stress!!!... it might all change. got 33 days of exante but probs 10 I don't like. I am super impatient and thought I would have lost more by now but have maybe not been exactly good-so I am trying to be better. have been very bad with water today -again try harder tomorrow!

You've had snow? I did hear it was forecast in THE NORTH, Brrrr. My daughter is at Uni in York and when I visit it always feels a degree or two colder than the midlands. Such a gorgeous city though,completely wasted on her youthful self!

You eat the noodles raw. Lol ! Nope can't even go there. I can, however understand the savoury then sweet thing. I really will try an oxo next time a fancy a soupy fix. My lemon cheesecake really hit the spot for my dinner. Yum.

Shame that you wont have your evening out but it does take the pressure off doesn't it ? kind of a relief that you wont be presented with the opportunity to screw up. I'm out again on Thursday, its a friends birthday celebration at a restaurant. I would really like to cancel but I know she will be so disappointed and that would make me feel crappy so will again just get on with it. My husband has asked if i want to go to London for the day on Friday as his meeting is cancelled and he has two first class tickets going begging (so romantic) I don't think I will as I know what I will want to do is go for a fancy pants slap up meal washed down with a nice bottle of wine.

Is there a reason you decided on Exante rather than lighter life, I know LL is very expensive. Is maintenance on LL all real food ? Good for you that you find visualisation helps you to focus. I daren't visualise a much slimmer me or perhaps what I mean is I find it almost impossible to see me properly slim. I will weigh weekly (Wednesday) and would love to be 12 stone. I fit into m and s size 16 at that weight and feel physically well ad sprightly.

Yeah best not to tell your friend you are doing a VLCD she's in a higher place right now ! although give it a few more weeks and she will be in no doubt you're up to summat!! I wonder if she will be able to find self acceptance. It's a difficult one to muster. I don't know anyone personally that has ever managed it. Even the woman who encouraged me to read Orbach as it helped her so much (she had put on 2 or 3 stone at uni and was bulimic) was a slim size 10 vegan when I knew her and by her own admission said her veganism gave her control over food/weight.

I haven't told anyone I'm doing exante because...I don't know why really, just don't feel the need to. I doubt anyone would pass judgement but I do feel quite private about it. You have been so successful before and hopefully with your personal therapy and training you will have a better idea on how to keep it off this time. Really,really hope so.

I did download a sample of Mandables on kindle . Good but not in mood for it. I think you would enjoy big brother. Very topical. very very large man and his relationships with others. Very weighty book !!

Oh my, Cannyscott ! Shred and Exante.... Respect ! I think its grand that you are so on it. Lots and lots of posivibes coming your way. Hope work doesn't knock you out of kilter and have a lovely diet day :)

Thanks Lottie . Been reading up and as I have lost 1lb in about 10 days is probably slowing it all down . But I do fit smaller stuff so..
Am having a rest today and will drink more water see if any movement on the scales. I have a minor obsession with body fat % as I got an aria scale which is saying 40 % when I thought I was about 31% so onwards and upwards. I hope you both have a great day with plenty water!

Thinking more about self acceptance this is the closest I can get to it. Ersatz acceptance,maybe? - I posted this elsewhere a couple of weeks ago. Thought I would bump it here as is a reflection of my current feelings :

I had a bit of an Aha ! moment recently. I remembered the last time I managed to shift weight well was when I totally accepted myself. I didn't love my body but got on board with it, sided with it if you like, as a helpful partner. I wanted to lose the fat but how could I lose something I had steadfastdly refused ownership of? I started to take great pride in the fact my body could run and lift and move and that by doing these things we were working together towards a common aim. The actions we were taking (eating less) had scientific backing and if adheared to could not fail. That by doing these things we would achieve our common goal. Critisizing myself constantly was second nature and to what aim ? All it did was make me feel rubbish and drove me to the cake tin. It all sounds a bit airy fairy but this attitude shift has helped me so much recently to lighten up yet paradoxically become more determined.

Thinking more about self acceptance this is the closest I can get to it. Ersatz acceptance,maybe? - I posted this elsewhere a couple of weeks ago. Thought I would bump it here as is a reflection of my current feelings :

I had a bit of an Aha ! moment recently. I remembered the last time I managed to shift weight well was when I totally accepted myself. I didn't love my body but got on board with it, sided with it if you like, as a helpful partner. I wanted to lose the fat but how could I lose something I had steadfastdly refused ownership of? I started to take great pride in the fact my body could run and lift and move and that by doing these things we were working together towards a common aim. The actions we were taking (eating less) had scientific backing and if adheared to could not fail. That by doing these things we would achieve our common goal. Critisizing myself constantly was second nature and to what aim ? All it did was make me feel rubbish and drove me to the cake tin. It all sounds a bit airy fairy but this attitude shift has helped me so much recently to lighten up yet paradoxically become more determined.
Oh I really love that as an ethos (ironically links to TA - harnassing your own internal Nurturing Parent and banishing the Critical Parent).

I've been cold all day today - cold in the office, a couple of laborious meetings and then dog walking in the lashing rain - not sure where Spring has gone!

I'm going to start Big Brother, sounds like it would be right up my street!

How has your day been? Weigh in tomorrow? I'm excited for you! x

Thanks Lottie . Been reading up and as I have lost 1lb in about 10 days is probably slowing it all down . But I do fit smaller stuff so..
Am having a rest today and will drink more water see if any movement on the scales. I have a minor obsession with body fat % as I got an aria scale which is saying 40 % when I thought I was about 31% so onwards and upwards. I hope you both have a great day with plenty water!
Don't want to harp on about LL but I seem to remember that we were told to leave off doing large amounts of exercise as it would slow weight loss - one member had bought a bike and spent a week cycling every spare minute to lose half a pound whilst the couch potatoes lost their usual 3lb+!

Feel like I've drank gallons of water today. I use an Ulla when I'm working as it reminds me to keep drinking throughout the day, especially when I'm in the office and likely to be rushing from meeting to meeting and therefore prone to forget to drink
https://www.ulla.io/?experiment=exit.2-on

Morning Davina and Canny,

I is a happy bunny ! Just weighed after my first week and 5 lb off :) I now weigh 14.8 and feel great. I wasn't expecting such a big loss as I had been eating well for 3 or 4 weeks before starting exante so didn't have that overindulgent chunk of weight to lose. I didn't weigh 4 weeks ago but guess I was 14.6 so had lost half a stone before starting a VLCD. I'm in a pair of jeans I haven't worn for ages and even painted my nails. Shedding weight has a knock on effect on non weight related beauty for me, i.e nails !

Yesterday was really good diet wise.My friend and I had a lovely walk in the woods for an hour in the sunshine then came home and was industrious with my chores. I have recently moved house so loads of organisation to get on with. I am bored with the diet food but am 'just getting on with it' I have decided I only like the shakes so if any one wants some sweet n sour, bean chilli or choc shakes for free shout up you are more than welcome to them. Happy to post them. They will sit in my cupboard until they expire. I don't like waste.

Have a lovely day both, speak later x

Woohoo - well done! I'm so happy for you. Fantastic news and really inspiring! I too usually have a beauty burst after I've dieted.

For some reason yesterday I was craving bacon - I'm not even a fan as I was vegetarian for many years so I did have a slice of Parma ham before bed and it cheered me up no end I'm afraid to say.

I'm just back from the dentists and Robson Grenn was also waiting for his check up :)

I will take the unwanted packs if you desperately want rid of them.

I've lived in the same house for over 20 years and just couldn't imagine the upheaval of moving - must feel exciting for you though.

I'm smiling away now at your success - fabulous! x

Back