Starting the Gi Diet

laurenista

S: 10st12lb C: 9st11lb G: 9st4lb BMI: 24.3 Loss: 1st1lb(9.87%)
I have PCOS and have successfully lost 1stone7lbs but got stuck in a rutt last year and was losing 1lb then gaining 1lb constantly.
I love low GI food and love eating foods that are not processed so this diet is ideal. However I am unsure what the portion size should be at meal times, it would be great if anyone could help.
I am usually very active but can get very lazy at times. i'm trying to stay motivated and would love to know your motivation tips
Lauren xX:family2:

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

irish molly

Maintaing LT loss on GL
S: 21st0lb C: 12st12lb G: 12st12lb BMI: 27.4 Loss: 8st2lb(38.78%)
Welcome and good luck with your GL journey. It is a very sustainable plan to follow. keep portions small. One quarter of your plate will have protein(100g chicken, 50 g smoked salmon etc), One quarter will have high carbs like potato, pasta etc, and half will be leafy veg.
Keep posting to keep motivated.

laurenista

thanks for the help irish molly
think i will do a detailed dairy for a few weeks so you can all keep me on track :) and i know i'm doing the correct thing

so today so far....
B-2 slices of multigrain bread with a thin layer peanut butter
S-3 dried apricots and 3 prunes
L- (I think it will be) a tuna, lettuce, apple and celery salad topped with a couple of walnuts.

babliboobabu

S: 9st3lb C: 8st2lb G: 7st10lb BMI: 23.8 Loss: 1st1lb(11.63%)
That's a great start, Lauren. Love the sound of your salad :)

When you have a snack, try to eat a little protein with it, especially if you have dried fruits. Maybe a little yogurt or a few of your favourite nuts/seeds. It'll slow the breakdown of the sugars and keep you fuller for longer (I think that's the theory anyway!).

laurenista

Changed my salad was looking at the wrong day on my plan. It's now tuna, tomato, red onion, celery and olives with 1 desert spoon of fat free balsamic dressing. On rocket leaves with 3 oat crackers

And I've put a picture up if it works haha

Lauren xX

Attachments

• image-3402485265.jpg
    image-3402485265.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 77

irish molly

Maintaing LT loss on GL
I agree with Ashie. Watch dried fruit as it is very high in sugar and calories. Two apricots is enough with a dessert spoon of yoghurt or ten grams of mixed seeds or maybe a babybel cheese.

laurenista

Thanks for the tip ladies...will watch out for it in future!
Glad i've done an hour at the gym or I would be getting down that i hadn't followed the diet right :)
I'll keep posting my food diaries because you lot are very helpful
thanks
Lauren xX

laurenista

Dinner- a small lean steak with sweet potato mash, green beans, mushrooms and courgette
Supper-(might have this if im hungry) some fresh fruit maybe an apple or an orange
Does that sound okay?
Thanks Ladies
Lauren xX

Plumfoodie

Paleo maintenance rocks!
S: 200lb C: 137lb G: 150lb BMI: 20.8 Loss: 63lb(31.5%)
Looking good Lauren! If having on its own, I'd suggest the apple as lower GI, but better really to have a few nuts or seeds or a little lowfat cheese/yoghurt (or a dab of nut butter) with it for protein. Protein with any kind of carb will soon become second nature, don't worry! :)

laurenista

Thanks plum. Finding it hard to get my head round ATM but I'm sure I'll get there
Lauren xX

Plumfoodie

Paleo maintenance rocks!
S: 200lb C: 137lb G: 150lb BMI: 20.8 Loss: 63lb(31.5%)
You will get there, for sure. :) once you figure out what you like it's easy to keep things to hand - for example I always have a bag of babybel lights or pecans to grab if I want some fruit!

laurenista

I have stocked up on walnuts, cashew nuts etc! Babybels sound like a good idea as all I have is a block of Edam at the moment!
Thanks for the tips
Lauren xX

babliboobabu

It's a bit of trial and error at the beginning but it is very easy to get into the GI/GL groove. :)

Your salad looks great. I wish I could be a salad girl but in the winter months, I go for stodge :D

Also, would it be cheeky to point out that your start date needs to change in your signature?

irish molly

Maintaing LT loss on GL
Looking good Lauren. I agree with the others. There are some good recipes and tips in the stickies section. Look them up for some good ideas.

laurenista

I think I changed it but put the wrong date Ashie haha ive been writing a plane and keep writing December and 2011 haha
Cheers guys
Lauren xX

laurenista

Just an update on my food today
Breakfast: small bowl of natural muesli with low fat yoghurt.
Snack: a small banana and 3 cashew nuts
Lunch: tuna, celery, apple and lettuce topped with walnuts

Lauren xX

Attachments

• image-1999425630.jpg
    image-1999425630.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 49

laurenista

Have to admit something!!
Ate a small piece of my boyfriends birthday cake! No icing just homemade chocolate cake!
My lunch only amounted to 161 calories so I should be okay however still not low GI oppsy
Lauren xX

babliboobabu

Lauren, not to worry. We have the 20% rule to help us out. :) We try to be perfect when it comes to eating low GI/GL but actually we live in the real world and no one can be perfect.

For those times when low GI/GL is not an option or we just fancy a treat or whatever, the 20% rule comes in very handy. As long as we eat healthy 80% of the time, those 20% of the time will not set us back. The point is not to feel guilty or bad about those 20% of the time - just enjoy and get right back on track afterwards. :)

We try really hard not to feel bad or guilty about having small treats now and then (or even when we fall off the wagon) because it's not a healthy attitude to have towards food.

laurenista

Thanks for the advice!!
Trying not to feel guilty, I think I've done pretty well as usually after eating something off plan I would just continue to pig out but I haven't! I've had my planned dinner and continued to drink plenty of water
Dinner- tuna, tinned tomatoes, courgette, garlic, olives and wholewheat pasta
Lauren xX

laurenista

weighed myself this morning and since christmas i have lost 4lbs!!! very pleased!!!
I am now in the ideal BMI the top of it but i'm in it :)
i'll have to make a new goal now!!

Breakfast- bowl of bran flakes (30g) sultanas, walnut halves, cashew halves and a tsp of linseed
Snack- 1 apple and 3 almonds
Lunch- homemade tomato and basil soup