Starting the Gi Diet

Have you approached the calories issue in reverse? For example my current target is 1500/day - I try to have 350/400 per meal leaving me 300-450 for snacks. So I look for recipes that are around that level (although happy to juggle a bit if something is a bit higher) and snacks ideally around 100-150.

Also, some more calorie dense foods that pop to mind: hummus with tahini in it, nut butter, seeds/nuts, olive oil, avocado, salmon. Have you previously gotten used to cooking very low fat or calorie? If so maybe think of ways to include these kinds of food more?

Finally, as long as your net calories (accounting for exercise) are at least 1200 most days, don't worry too much. Regularly below this level they say you risk your body going into starvation mode and holding tight to its reserves. But every body is different and I think there's a bit of variation in this with metabolism etc.!

Last edited:
Seems like a really good idea will give it a try. Thanks and i am reaching 1200 most days do hopefully I'm fine!! I don't feel hungry often
B- 1 boiled egg, 2 rashers of bacon fat removed, baked beans 2 tbsp, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes
S- small berry smoothie
L- beef with homemade sweet chilli with lettuce and celery

Thats today so far

Rest of the day as follows

D- homemade veg broth with slice of multigrain bread
S- babybel and an apple

I think I'll join in with the things I'm proud of part as it spurs me on to think how well I'm doing
This I'm proud of today are
1. Going to the gym at 9 on a Sunday morning then coming home and doing yoga
2.Not being tempted by the white chocolate my mum and baby cousin are currently tucking into

Congrats on your positives for today. Gym at 9 on a Sunday is a great positive.

Way to go Lauren for going to the gym on a Sunday and then coming home and doing yoga! Work it! Make sure to eat some calories your burned off back. You don't want to go starving. I've made my fair share of mistakes, trying to overcompensate and not eating enough and ended up with a plus. I notice days that I'm super hungry when I go to bed, the scale isn't as kind to me the next day.

What a positive day you had yesterday. You are doing really well. :)

Today has been good
B-raisin toast with light Philly and homemade jam
S- apple and almonds
L- ham salad sandwich in multiseed bread
S- gingerbread nakd bar, sq of milk
Choc
D- moroccan bean and veg stew with couscous

Achievements
Going to the gym before uni
Getting house work done before uni
And only having a square of choc when my mates were pigging out!

The moroccan bean veg stew sounds yummy! I want some!

You're achievements are great! Keep up the good work!

It's very tasty. From the Jennie brand-miller book. It's green lentils in the recipe but I had none so I used beans instead

Today has been fab so far! I have done zumba and some yoga getting into the more advanced positions now!
Food as below
B- scrambled egg on toast
S- handful of nuts
L- greek salad with low fat feta

Wow Lauren, you're really on a roll! You'll get to your goal weight in no time.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Your all a great help and spur me on a lot so thanks everyone!!!
I don't think I've ever wanted to get rid of this weight as much or had as much passion about it!! This year is the year before I turn 21!!! I said before I turn 20 but messed around and left it too late! I've started early this time straight after Christmas and I'm looking at it all so differently this time!

Plus really enjoying the food and being active

I havent made weightloss a new years resolution because I would probably not do it of I have
I've made weightloss a goal and an achievable one so here's hoping it works this time. I have no doubt it will

so heres the plan for the rest of the day
S-1 scoop of light ice-cream and sliced banana (yummy)
D-(i've just started cooking) tandoori chicken, lentil dahl and basmati rice.
S- i'll have something if hungry (don't know what yet)

Food looks good, and mmmm tandori chicken :)

It's lovely and so easy

Tandoori chicken
Just low fat natural yoghurt mixed with lemon juice, garlic and tandoori spice. Then mix bite size pieces of chicken and bake till chicken is cooked

Cucumber riatta
Yoghurt again with cucumber and chopped mint leaves mixed in and left in the fridge for a few hours

Lentil Dahl
Heat olive oil in a pan with onion garlic and ginger. Add veg stock when onion is cooked then add red lentils and curry spices. When stock is soaked up combine with tomato purée

Positives
Finding dandelion and burdock organic herbal tea
Doing Zumba and yoga
Cooking some delicious Indian food that's all low GL

That recepie for the chicken sounds delicious, i will have to give that a go as I love indian food --I expect it would work well with some nice white firm fish --one for the weekend ;-)

Well guys to day was weigh in and I've lost another 1lb only 2lbs to hit my initial goal woo (in case your wondering at this point I am dancing around my room because i weight under 10st for the first time in about 4 years :)

:party0049: Wooohooo Congratulations! I can't wait to get under 10stone! I'm going to cook your chicken tandoori tonight - yum!

I'm going to have to try your recipes out. They sound really yummy!

Back