Starting Wednesday - Advice please!!

sarah_lou1981

Back again!!
Hey All

So after a few months of messing about with the same half a stone I've decided to give Slim & Save a go to get me back on track. Ive lost 4 stone in all, some on SW and some on WW. I love WW but seem to have fallen off the wagon a bit with it recently. I'm currently 14.7 (havent updated my stats - I like to see the weight I was pre Christmas!!) and hoping to get out of the 14's on my first week.

I've been TTC with OH for 18 months and have my first appointment at the fertility clinic next Thursday so my decision was pretty much made by that. I know I have PCOS which makes it harder to conceive and lose weight but not sure about anything else so with a bit of luck theyll be running some more tests soon. If we need IVF the criteria for my area is BMI 30 which for me is just under 14 stone. I'm sure theyll run the tests anyway while I get to goal but the closer I can be the better as last time I went to hospital for my PCOS my BMI was 37!! Just want to show them I'm serious about losing the weight.

So, I ordered the sample pack online which is coming tomorrow. I'm working 7-5 tomorrow so will be having my last day of 'normal' eating. I think I'm going to have a chicken salad and try to reduce my calories to about 1200 in preparation for Wednesday when I start. I'm only doing a week to start with as I did Cambridge once and was literally gipping at every meal so hoping S&S is nicer.

Just a few questions - you all talk about Ketosis. What is this? Sorry to sound daft but it was a snap decision so havent really researched much.
I'm doing the 4 packs a day to start but you all talk about having veg etc with your meal packs. Am I right in thinking you can have a certain amount of approved veg alongside the packs? Also, there is a lot of mention of carbs and the bars having different amounts. Do I have to count carbs or will the packs balance out to what I'm supposed to have?

God, I'm so unorganised. I havent a clue what I'm diving into here. I'm hoping it'll work for me and if it does I might stick to it until I get a couple of stone off.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Sarah xx

you have the veggies with the 3 a day packs :)
I've only been on this for a week myself ...
far as i know you don't need to worry much on the 4 a day but make sure you get all your water :)
ketosis is basically using fat for energy instead of say ... what you're in taking on a daily basis but it happens when you've had a certain amount of carbs .
it can kill hunger pangs and that too so it's good like that :)
good luck
xoxo

oh forgot to mention, use the meal planner on the slim and save website ... i find it's a lot easier to keep track and you can see what your intake is then :)
it puts all your carbs and stuff up so you know, like if you cut down to three packs instead you can see how much you need to be having. and it will help when you go back to normal eating .

Try to have 2/3 litres of water over next couple days, spaced out over day, it'll help get you used to water intake and try to cut out carbs, bread, pasta,potatoes etc it all helps prepare you, also ask the online help on the website if you have any queries or ask on here, it's really easy once you get ur head round it and find out which packs you like and what works for you , just follow instructions on sheet to make up packs,keep up with ur water and take a multivitamin tablet everyday especially if ur on 3 packs per day,i still take a multivitamin on 4 packs even though having 4 a day gives you your rda of vitamins. Good luck :)

Thank you both. I've got some multi vitamins to take so will start them tomorrow. Will cut down the carbs tomorrow to start on Wednesday. I drink a fair amount of water at work anyway so that part should be the easiest. The only thing I think ill miss is my hourly cup of tea :(

Hi you can have 150ml of skimmed milk a day too which I use for tea and coffee rather than put it my packs. You can also have the veg with the 4 pack plan, I do it makes my evening pack more like a meal and I can eat with my family. You'll get the instruction sheet in your parcel, good luck x

Hey there, just wanted to say - I too have pcos, and endo, and have had that chat with my consultant with a bmi over 40. He told me to go get surgery cause there is no way I'd get my bmi down to 35 (where we have 5% chance with ICSI) before the cut off age of 43 (I'm 41 now) and to totally forget any idea of having an nhs cycle cause I'd need to be at a bmi of 30 for that.

I went to see him mid September last year - my bmi is now 32. It can be done :)

Hey there, just wanted to say - I too have pcos, and endo, and have had that chat with my consultant with a bmi over 40. He told me to go get surgery cause there is no way I'd get my bmi down to 35 (where we have 5% chance with ICSI) before the cut off age of 43 (I'm 41 now) and to totally forget any idea of having an nhs cycle cause I'd need to be at a bmi of 30 for that.

I went to see him mid September last year - my bmi is now 32. It can be done :)

My bmi was 37-38 in August and I got it down to just over 30 in December but then I had a month off. If I can get about 9lb off ill be under 30 :)
Well done on your weight loss, it's fab!! And proof that S&S works!! X

Hi you can have 150ml of skimmed milk a day too which I use for tea and coffee rather than put it my packs. You can also have the veg with the 4 pack plan, I do it makes my evening pack more like a meal and I can eat with my family. You'll get the instruction sheet in your parcel, good luck x

You've just made me a happy girl. I can give up everything except my cuppa.
Didnt realise I'd get an instruction pack but it makes sense I suppose. Looking forward to getting started now :) x

I drink redbush tea now, I used to have at least 5 cups of tea a day, when I started cambridge, milk was a no-no so I tried redbush,i really like it and can have unlimited cups a day, it's caffeine free and as hydrating as water, you can also have herbal tea but not fruit teas or any containing citric acid, failing that just stick to your milk allowance and enjoy your brew :)

you have the veggies with the 3 a day packs :)
I've only been on this for a week myself ...
far as i know you don't need to worry much on the 4 a day but make sure you get all your water :)
ketosis is basically using fat for energy instead of say ... what you're in taking on a daily basis but it happens when you've had a certain amount of carbs .
it can kill hunger pangs and that too so it's good like that :)
good luck
xoxo

On four packs you also have veggies!

So my delivery came today and Ive split it all and worked out what I'm having each day. I got quite a good selection. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is they sent me some soup and when I was on Cambridge I detested the soup. Just hope it's nicer. They sent me four bars so I'm going to have them when I'm at work for 11-12 hours rather than my 9-10 hour shifts and cut them up to nibble on. I've cut right back on calories and carbs today and drank about 2 litres of water. I've just been and bought a 1.5 litre bottle of water that I'm going to take to work and fill up every day so I can measure how much I'm having. Ive also decided I'm going to have one cup of tea in the morning and one as a treat before bed so I dont feel too deprived. Just really hope this works as I'm at the hospital a week on Thursday and need my BMI to be as low as possible.

You've got a great plan going there. I notice you're West Yorkshire - not off to see Balen are you?

Well done sarah lou thats a fab start! Although I'm not a fan of the soups either they are nicer than cambridge, so hopefully you find the same,i don't really order them anymore but I could at least have them without gagging :)

You've got a great plan going there. I notice you're West Yorkshire - not off to see Balen are you?

I'm going to Pinderfields, who's Balen?

Well done sarah lou thats a fab start! Although I'm not a fan of the soups either they are nicer than cambridge, so hopefully you find the same,i don't really order them anymore but I could at least have them without gagging :)

That's made me feel better, I don't expect them to be amazing as long as they are edible :)

I'm going to Pinderfields, who's Balen?

Ah ok, just wondered. Professor Balen in Leeds is one of the leading experts on PCOS and fertility. He's on the medical board of Verity the PCOS charity. Straight talking chap but really knows his stuff. If you find no joy at Pinderfields they may agree to refer you - he's based at Seacroft. That's not to say they don't have their own set of very knowledgable people there already :)

Sorry to hijack, but I found out just yesterday that I have pco (no idea if its the syndrome as well) oh and an endrometrial polyp. I am already blessed with my children so that isn't a worry (sympathies to those that haven't been so lucky though), but I do wonder to what extent pco affects weight loss or gain? I wondered if perhaps you could direct me to some online articles.....?

Ah ok, just wondered. Professor Balen in Leeds is one of the leading experts on PCOS and fertility. He's on the medical board of Verity the PCOS charity. Straight talking chap but really knows his stuff. If you find no joy at Pinderfields they may agree to refer you - he's based at Seacroft. That's not to say they don't have their own set of very knowledgable people there already :)

They asked where I wanted to go initially and I said Pinders because its easier for home and work. And they said if I have a lap done i won't be able to drive home and fella only has a motorbike licence so don't want to ask my Dad to drive too far as he's disabled and struggles with it. If we need IVF etc we'll have to go to Seacroft anyway but I'm hoping it won't come to that x

Back