Stir Fry Sauce?

AlicePalice

Please can you help me with some ideas for stir fry sauces? In the past I've always bought sachets of sauces, but just had a look at the Syns Online - woah! I'd like to make something myself which isn't so bad... but I don't like honey.... so please, if you have any non-honey suggestions, I'd love them :)

wow i was going to post on this exact same subject earlier! i used to use the blue dragon ones and done even want to have a look at the sin value lol, i LOVE stir frys but without the sauce it can be a bit bland, i use soy sauce but starting to get a bit bored of the same flavour.

ditto rach!

I used a random selection of stuff from my shelf lol... I only measure the syn-able items so sorry it's not exact amounts lol...

A fairly large splash of soy sauce,
A splash of worcestershire sauce,
A tiny drip of tobasco sauce,
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (1 syn)
A shake of garlic powder,

I also tend to cook the rice/noodles with a chicken or veg stock cube as it gives flavour...

The sauce sounds weird but tastes really nice... I just sort of chuck it all in the pan with the (cooked) rice/noodles and veg and cook it all for a while... yummy :)

mmm it sounds lovely, and I didnt realise sweet chilli sauce was only 0.5 syns per tbsp - thanks!

I was shocked too, but I looked at the list of sauces in the booklet thing and that's what it said... :D

I thought most sweet chilli sauces are 1.5syn a tbsp, i.e. the blue dragon one or equivalent?? I'm not a SW member so maybe someone could check online?

I always start my stir fries with garlic and ginger and then once I've added the veg and meat, I give it a good splash of soy sauce and a sprinkling of Chinese 5 spice. Then some sweet chilli at the end - yum!

i use ginger, soy sauce, and some garlic and then use a couple of syns to use a bit of cornflower to thicken. serve with noodles and its yummy

Thank you all - lots of good ideas here!

Just searched the sweet chilli sauce on SW Online and got:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blue Dragon Sweet & Sour Chilli Dipping Sauce 1 level tbsp[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
1 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 1 Syns
green.gif
Green 1 Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

I serve this with chicken, sliced red peppers, spring onions and carrot gratings (peeled slices off a carrot with potato peeler to look like the bits you get in a chinese meal!) and boiled rice.

V quick to make: dont think I'll be going back to jar sweet n sour sauce anymore!

For 2 portions, the sauce is made as follows:
100ml chicken stock
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 and a half tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Mix altogether and heat altogether til thickened and then pour over chicken and veg! Made sauce whilst cooking chicken and it was already before the rice was!!!!!

Oyster, Soy, Teryaki marinade, mirin, Miso paste, anything Asian really.

there are quite a few on my blog in the stir fry/noodle type recipes.

But the basic stir fry sauce I use is some crushed garlic, grated ginger and soy sauce and then I marinate my meat in it for a few hours in the fridge. This is so the meat really absorbs all the flavour and is delicious. I then add to that if I want something a bit different, chilli's for a kick, mirin for a sweet sauce and so on.

Sauces like black bean, yellow bean, hoi sin, oyster sauce etc are all quite low in syns too if you just bulk it out with more soy sauce which is free.

totally free stir fry hot and sour sauce

hot and sour sauce I have adapted from the 100 green s/w recipe to my own taste and replaced the brown sugar with canderel granules (or other sweetener) to make it free:

4 tblsp vinegar
1 green or red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
fresh finely chopped or grated ginger about 1/4 of an inch
2 cloves garlic
canderel to taste

mix and heat gently - pour over your stir fry and enjoy!

F4ye

yum yum yum - lots of lovely recipes here, thank you.

I used the syn free bbq sauce in a stir fry this week as I was trying to use it up, and it was delicious!

Back