Success is always a work in progress.

lorrs.mcd

The title of my diary is very true for me. I think my problem with dieting to date has been the quick fix desire; when I don't see the results I lose interest. I know I can lose weight, I've done very well on previous diets but I can't say I've lasted on one longer than 3 or 4 months. However, I rarely stick at it. In my life it's taking me quite a long time to become good at sticking things out, I'd say I'm still working on it. From my late teens til my 20s I seemed to struggle to finish a lot of things - college courses, hobbies, exercise plans, jobs etc. I'd always get bored and give up or try something else. Going back into education and sticking out college, uni and a post grad qualification was really the first time I could say that I'd really worked at anything. Prior to my current job I think the longest job I'd ever had was about 9 months long but I'm now a year and a half into the current job and planning on staying there forever, or for as long as I can. I love my job, it's something I worked for. It's exactly what all the studying was for and I'm now reaping the benefits of it all. I think this experience, coupled with another few motivators, has made me realise that if I want to lose all this weight, I really need to be in it for the long haul. It isn't going to happen in a snap. There's no magic pill. It took time to put it all on so it's going to take time to get it all off. I feel like, for the first time, I've really accepted this idea.

What else has motivated me recently? Well, there's all the usual things such as wanting to look and feel better and wanting to buy clothes from normal shops but there's a few things in particular that have motivated me this time. One of them was - I turned 30 last September - in the year before I turned 30 I had it in my head that I'd be "thin by 30" - that didn't happen. Once I turned 30 I decided "ok, I'm in my 30s now and I don't want to hit 40 and have spent the previous 10 years obese, or worse". Well, guess what? I'm 5 months away from turning 31 and I'm now at my heaviest weight ever. Things weren't exactly going to plan. Another thing motivating me is that as I'd failed to start a diet after my 30th, I was going to start one in January along with everyone else. As a result of this the boyfriend and I decided to go on holiday somewhere warm in June. So I promptly booked the time off work and looked at loads of holidays then did nothing else about it!

Now this holiday is something I've wanted for ages - I've been a few city breaks in my adult years but the last time I was on sun beach holiday I was about 14 years old and with my parents. This is the first time in my life, after being a skint student for so long that I am finally in a fairly settled position that allows me to save up and go on a proper relaxing holiday. I was thinking 4 or 5 star all inclusive or maybe a villa rental. I was thinking of going to places like Cyprus, Menorca or Tunisia. We decided to hang on and see if we could get a cheaper last minute deal so I kept looking, I haven't booked anything but then I realised that it's 2 months until my annual leave comes up and I'm nowhere closer in my weight loss, I'm actually heavier than I was in January! I know fine well that if I went to a hotel in Spain or somewhere that my appearance would make me cover up and feel embarrassed around all the slimmer sun worshippers. I also know that the heat would probably leave me uncomfortable and sweaty. I know that just buying that holiday wardrobe and being in those changing rooms scrutinising myself in shorts or a swimsuit in the mirror will lead to me feeling glum and full of regret that I haven't done anything about my weight. So, I decided not to go on holiday. I'm even thinking about cancelling my annual leave. How rubbish is that? This isn't the first time I've let my weight stop me from doing things - I've cancelled nights out, I've avoided wedding receptions, I probably could have managed a sun holiday somewhere before now but really my weight has put me off that whole time too.

So yes, we've got the hitting and being 30 milestone, the holiday and what else? In November I did start a bit of a health kick, I'd joined a gym and had started going and was feeling very positive. I remember talking to a colleague in work about it and she was telling me about her husband who had just begun a weight loss plan. Due to holidays, illness, working in different locations etc. I didn't really see this colleague again until about a month ago, by which time my health kick had fallen flat on its face. However, she was telling me her husband had lost 4 stone and was looking great. I immediately felt regret that I wasn't in the same camp. It made me think of this quote:

"A year from now, you may wish you had started today" (Robert Schuller).

My final piece of motivation happened about a week ago. As usual, I had decided it was time to lose weight. I had very successfully lost weight using VLCD shakes about a year and a half ago where I lost about 4 stone. I have since put all of it (and more) back on again but I decided enough was enough and I would do it differently this time and I would stick it out then reintroduce food slowly and learn to eat like a normal person. So I started it and I'd forgotten how much I disliked the products. In fact, there was only 1 that I could truly say it didn't make me feel sick consuming it. So I struggled through a week of VLCD and in that week I had headaches, felt light headed, constantly nauseated, constantly hungry and farily miserable. (and yes I was doing it 100% and drinking all of my water). The time before had been nowhere as hard as this. But I tried, I even went on a nice day out with my boyfriend and we avoided going for a pub lunch and I drank down my shake and a cup of black tea whilst he ate a shop bought sandwich. Ugh, what a boring diet. However, I was ready to plod along and kept going. By the end of the week I was miserable, I stood on the scales and had lost 10lbs and that didn't even seem like it was enough. I went out that day to the shops with my gran, I sat and watched her eat cake whilst I sipped at water. I took her home then went to drive home when I started to feel really dizzy. I parked up in a supermarket carpark and actually fainted. A small, wee faint, I don't think it lasted more than a minute but it was then I decided screw this! I went into the supermarket (I was still thinking I'd stick with the plan but also add a small high protein meal) so I bought turkey breast slices and water then went back to the car and sat there eating them right there in the car. I drove home and spotted some nuts, so I ate them. There wasn't much in so I went to the supermarket and it was at this point the diet was truly out of the window and I bought sweets, cake, crisps, a sandwich, a milk shake etc. I took these home (and ate a chocolate bar whilst driving back!) then ate until I felt sick. I decided then and there that this wasn't how I wanted to live. Going from one extreme to another. Those 10lbs I lost were back the very next day, I'd actually gained a pound.

I decided that I needed to learn how to eat like a normal person. I decided it wasn't going to be a quick fix this time. I knew people in my work who were doing Slimming World and they always had nice things to eat at lunch time so I was going to check it out. I announced to the world that day that I was going to SW the next evening, and I did.

Today is the final day of my first week. My weigh in is tomorrow. I'm very pleased with the plan. I enjoyed going to the group last Monday, they were all very friendly and welcoming and I feel happy about going there. I have looked at the scales, I know this isn't going to be fast weight loss but for the first time I can see how I can stick to this easily over the long term. It feels different this time. I feel prepared to stick it out and realise that it will take small steps to get there. I definitely haven't lost anywhere close to 10lbs in one week but I have lost and I'm looking forward to tomorrows official weigh in.

Last Monday I weighed 18stones and 13lbs. My first goal is 17 stone. My overall goal is 10 stone. It's going to take a long time but I'm ready to stick it out and work at it. :)

First of all well done for joing SW, I know how hard it can be. I started in Dec and have lost just over a stone since then. Not a lot but its a slow process. I know what you mean about the holiday as weel. I went to Bulgaria with 4 friends as "first holiday without parents" type holiday and all i can say is that i wish i had started this sooner. Looking back through the photos is horrible because my friends are all super skinny!!! (hate them!!!) So I've decided that this is my time, I'm hopefully going to uni in sept and need to lose weight for my course. (It's a very hands on and physical course).
I look forward to reading your diary as we have the same goal and similar starting weight so i know what its like.
Good luck chick xxx

Good luck on your weightloss journey. Slimming world is the only plan that I can see myself sticking to long term. Like you I turned 30 last year and didn't want to spend my 30s being overweight. Since October I have lost 3 stone and I haven't felt like I've been on a diet. Yes, friends have lost weight quicker but for me this is a healthy way of reaching my goal even if it takes me a year. I have also been on holidays where I've spent the entire time feeling uncomfortable and hiding. I'm about to go to Majorca in a weeks time and know that I will still feel self conscious. (My mind hasn't caught up that i look ok)I've decided life's too short not to have fun and in all honestly the people who matter (my husband and 2 girls) don't care what I look like in a swimsuit. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey :)

Thanks for the luck ladies :)

Today my Asda online order arrived. My chest freezer has enough food in it to last for months! I just split 2 400g wholemeal loafs into 2 slices per freezer bag to stick in the freezer. That's 16 days worth of bread! I think I lost the will to live doing that task lol.

Tomorrow, after the weigh in, I'm going to make some spicy butternut squash soup and I'm going to make up a meal plan for the rest of the week. For the week ahead -

- Tomorrow, we've got a training day at work which usually means they put on a cold buffet lunch. I'm going to take my own chicken salad sandwich and I'll eat the fruit that is there. They always have these really nice biscuits there too which come out during the coffee breaks and I've seen me come home from a training day having eaten about 3 of them (they are big so really the equivalent of 6 biscuits!!). I've told myself that 1 is ok but none would be better. I'm arming myself with fruit to try to avoid temptation.
- I'm going to the cinema on Tuesday night so the plan is to take along either a) frozen mango or b) a curly wurly - depending on mood.
- On Thursday night I'm going to Nandos; I had a look around on the SW forum last night and I think butterfly chicken and a corn and a salad sound like good choices, I think they came in at about 6.5 syns which is good, I'll double check it before I go.
- On Friday the boyfriend is up for the weekend (we're long distance at the moment thanks to work commitments :( ) and I'll be trying out some SW recipes on him. He's very supportive of what I'm doing and says he's happy to eat what I am eating. The trouble is I tend to eat as much as he eats and eat whenever he eats, even when I'm not hungry. So my plan is make filling foods and have SW friendly snacks around just in case. He could also do with losing about a stone and a half so it wouldn't hurt him to eat what I'm eating.

I'd say I'm feeling like all of this is manageable and I feel able to control these things coming up in the next week. In the past they would all be excuses to stop dieting but I'm gonna make it work :)

You sound so positive and focused about this week. It's really inspiring especially as i've lost my way these past few weeks. I like your idea of freezing the bread in seperate bags, would stop me picking as i'm a big fan of bread.
I'm sure you'll be fine with WI tomorrow. Everyone expects big numbers in the first week (and admittedly mine was pretty high) but it's averaged out about 1lb a week, atleast its going. Slow and steady wins the race as they say xx

flippin' heck thats brill. You must have worked mega hard and totally deserve it. :clap:

This has been a super busy week at work so I've not spent a great amount of time online. Today the boyfriend and I are having a lazy day together; I'm on that laptop and he's sitting next to me playing the wii u :)

The diet is going well, I really love this diet! I even went to Nandos on Thursday and had: butterfly chicken (skin removed) with corn and spicy rice, low fat frozen yogurt and a small glass of red wine which I synned up to be about 14.5 syns which isn't bad at all :) I have had some sneaky unofficial weigh-ins during the week and really I shouldn't do that as it goes up and down depending on the time of the day so I'm going to try to do that a bit less.

I've mostly been making quick things to eat for dinners - Monday - stir fry, Tuesday - baked potato and salad, Wednesday - Bolognaise type concoction with extra lean mince and loads of vegetables (no pasta) and salad, Thursday - Nandos, Friday - pasta with the rest of the bolognaise.

Tonight I'm going to make a creamy tomato prawn pasta using the total 0% greek yogurt. I hope it turns out ok. I'm also attempting to make a mango / cinnamon / sweetener / greek yogurt all blended up frozen dessert type thing. It tasted nice before I put it in the freezer, I'm hoping the texture will be ok. If not, it'll be fresh fruit salad with a muller light on top for dessert!

Breakfast this week has been fine too - either fruit and yogurt or using my healthy extras for weetabix with skimmed millk.

I'd say lunch is the part that requires the most planning. I work in a few different offices throughout the week - 2 where I have kitchen access and one where I don't. The one with no kitchen access is where I spend most of my time. I'd prefer to use my healthy extras on cereal in the morning so I'm not keen on the sandwich option at lunch time but anything else requires a bit more planning and preparation which I need to get a bit better at doing. On Monday I didn't plan my lunch at all and it was a mug shot chicken noodle thing and fruit - not filling at all, not doing it again. On Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I went home for lunch. On those days the office isn't too far from my flat so I sometimes nip there for lunch if I haven't bothered to prepare anything the night before. So, lunches at home this week have been things like fat free super noodles with added chicken or a baked potato with beans and then some fruit. I'll be in the office with kitchen access a lot over the summer so I'm thinking things like the previous nights dinner that can be heated up or salads that can be stored in the fridge or making up pasta just for work. At image therapy on Monday our consultant told us about the new lunches book that's out so I might get that to see if I can make things a bit more interesting. Although, if I find something I like I don't really mind eating the same thing every day - it's just, traditionally that would always have been a sandwich, so I need something else.

I've been eating lots of fruit this week, I dice up melon and keep it in little beaker tubs in the fridge. I've also discovered frozen mango, it's lovely and sweet and feels like I'm eating a sweetie so that's a new treat.

I know I've not been on the diet long but I was wearing trousers yesterday that I couldn't button up 2 weeks ago so that's pretty good.

The plan for next week is to try to incorporate some exercise into things now that I have the diet on the go. I also want to try out some more recipes from the site.

Love your story, I so know how you feel about holidays and clothes shopping and putting things off. I'm only on day 1 and I havent managed to eat my HEx yet. I dont think I will fit them in today, so they may have to wait until tomorrow. Given I have just stopped Exante, I'm not sure if I will get any loss this week, but I am not letting it get to me, this diet is for life change - so I can get it right for good.

Be great to buddy up on here, and be each others cheer leaders given we are both so new, what do you think?

Defo a good idea moshermum - we've got more than being ex exante dieters and new slimming worlders in common - I have a feeling from your name that we probably have very similar tastes in music too! lol

Well, my greek yogurt tomatoey prawn pasta concoction wasn't amazing (it actually sounds horrible when you write it down like that lol) - it wasn't terrible, more tasteless despite all of my seasonings. The boyfriend ate it but I didn't get the usual nom nom noises he makes when he eats something I cook so it definitely wasn't a winner!! Neither was my dessert thing, I liked it but he tasted his and made a face so I took it off him, put it back in the freezer for me for another day and handed him a strawberry muller light instead lol. Not sure about what to make for dinner tonight, maybe something with chicken and noodles or rice and a pile of vegetables added. I'm going to the cinema tonight to see Iron Man and I've been thinking about what to have there - a classic Magnum is 12 syns which I'm tempted to go for if I don't use many syns today. A solero is about 4.5. So I'll see how many I have left after dinner and use it on a cheeky wee cinema snack :)

Today I need to go shopping to buy in salad / fruit / lunch stuff for the week ahead. In the past I've had a problem with binge eating. I've been to counselling for binge eating but I just felt I was talking the same things over and over and getting nowhere with it - on SW I haven't binged at all so far and this is a huge achievement, I feel like it's a plan that will really work for me. One of my problems is going to a shop with healthy intentions and filling the trolley with healthy stuff then also adding in junk food at the end. Another problem is if I haven't planned my week this creates excuses to go to the shop midweek which means I'm likely to buy junk food then too. I've come up with a few strategies to overcome this which I'm gonna talk about here.

1. I bought a small chest freezer. I have a tiny fridge which really limited the amount of things I could have on hand. Also means I can batch cook and freeze things for later - this is also useful for nights when I can't be bothered cooking; in the past when I've felt like this I would have picked at things all evening and ended up eating too much that way. So having things on hand in the freezer means that I'm less likely to do this. The freezer means I can also have all the shop bought pre sliced veg on hand to make meals quickly. It also means I can take advantage on special offers on things I do buy such as quorn/meat etc.

2. Last week I got my first online grocery order. This is something I intend to do for all big shops. It means I can do the order at home when in a rational state of mind where I don't have hunger or pretty packaging luring me in. It also means that I, hopefully, save money by not adding in the other rubbish.

3. When I do have to go to the shop I will stick to a list. I won't wander up and down every aisle going "ooh that's new" and put unplanned things in the trolley.

4. I'm going to try to go to the shops when the boyfriend is here, he'll definitely make sure I stick to the list as he hates going shopping and it drives him crazy when I "dawdle" in shops lol.

So yes, that's the plan and I'm feeling positive about things. Got my weigh in tomorrow so fingers crossed I've had another loss - even 1lb would be half a stone!

Cool, yeah I love rock music... well I kind of like all music, but I particularly like guitar bands, pop punk, that sort of thing. I am seeing The Who soon and Green Day and then off to Reading where Biffy are playing - I saw them when they supported Foo's at MK Bowl. I love live music. My son (who is almost 20) is a musician / songwriter so there is always music in our house.

I know what you mean about binges, I'm the same - I couldn't go into a shop and buy one bar of chocolate or a small packet of biscuits. I would go up to our Tesco Express when in the mood for a binge and come home with about £10 worth of junk, and get through almost all of it in a session. Its shocking to write that down and admit it!

You plan for shopping looks good, I do on-line too, and only plan to shop for things I'm missing if needed - I am going to plan the weeks menu this afternoon, so I can be organised.

Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow x

My favourite band is Metallica but I love loads of bands. Lucky you going to Reading, I've been to Leeds a couple of times but nothing recently. I moved to Dundee just over a year ago and bands don't come here lol. I saw Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie in Glasgow late last year. Seems ages now, will have to have a wee look around and see who is playing any time soon in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Anyway - we went Tesco today and I stuck to my shopping list! Well, there were two small deviations; a vegetable cleaning brush and a wee jar of the douwe egberts caramel flavoured coffee that folk have been talking about on here. However, that's better than a 5 pack of cadbury caramels so I'm pleased with that. When we got back we went for a simple, quick, dinner option of baked potatoes with baked beans. I also had a wee salad whilst I was preparing it all. The OH wanted cheese with his beans and oh man, cutting up and grating cheese without eating any is really really really difficult! I still managed it ok though. In the past I would have had half a dozen pinches of cheese whilst grating it up without a thought. Decided against cinema tonight, we'll go see it the next time the bf is here, so I'm having a cheeky wee glass of wine instead of my cinema snack. :)

Ooo saw Metallica at Reading festival a few years ago, they were brilliant live. I'm lucky where we live as I'm pretty close to London, so we get to go to a few gigs in the year. I hope to see Iron Man, love those films.

I am single, but still make food for my son, so I know what you mean about preparing food for others. Well done for staying strong! Enjoy the wine x

Blimey. that is brilliant. well done you, I bet you are bouncing around. Fantastic result.

I'm sitting drinking a caramel Eouwe Egberts coffee. I haven't tried the other flavours yet, I hear the hazlenut one is nice. The caramel one smells lovely but when I'm drinking it it doesn't taste particularly caramelly, it's more an aftertaste. The sort of taste that would be in my mouth had I been drinking a coffee and then eaten a couple of bits of cadbury caramel then continued drinking the coffee lol. I don't know if it's wonderful enough for me to get it again and it was pretty expensive for a tiny jar. Maybe experimentation with less water would provide more of a caramel hit, I'll see.

Anyway, this has been a bit of an odd week on the plan. I've mainly been making quick things for dinner like Pasta n Sauce made with just water and adding frozen veg and quorn or chicken whilst cooking. Most days I've had the same for lunch too. Breakfasts have either been weetabix with milk or when I've been in a bit of a rush I'm having an alpen light bar (3 syns) and a piece of fruit. I'm finding when I put milk down as my healthy extra I'm rarely using the full amount. I've been buying 1% milk which means 300ml is allowed and even on a weetabix day I don't use all of it - I only have 1 or 2 cups of tea or coffee a day too. Wondering if I should just go back to using semi skimmed which means less milk but even if I don't use it all I don't mind drinking down the remainder whereas the 1% isn't as nice. On days where I don't use cereal I wasn't eating healthy extras at all so I bought some babybel light cheese and I only realised yesterday that I could have had 3 of these a day instead of just two. In saying that, they aren't cheap. Snacks (on good days, see below) have been mainly fruit and mullerlights, sometimes the occasional mug shot.

On Monday, I had a set back which I'm not happy about. I didn't get slimmer of the week in class but as the slimmer of the week had weighed in and didn't stay for Image Therapy; the bag of fruit and low syn snacks they would normally get goes to the next person on the list with biggest weight loss which was me. In the bag there were 4 Weight Watchers Jaffa Cake bars (3.5 syns) and one of the Slimming World hi fi bar (6 syns). I knew the moment I saw them that these would cause me a problem but I decided that I wasn't eating them, instead I'd take them into work and leave them on the kitchen table for whoever wanted them. Bad plan, very bad plan for someone who is a binge eater. I ended up eating the lot on Monday night all in one go (20 syns) :( not only that but I also ate the Curly Wurly (6 syns) I had kept as an after weigh in treat aaaand as if that wasn't enough - there was one Magnum left in the freezer from the weekend and I ate that too (12 syns) so in total I had 38 syns in one sitting on Monday :( I may even have had some low syn things earlier on in the day but I didn't record and I can't quite remember now.

This really left me with a sense of feeling like I'd blown it which impacted on my enthusiasm for the rest of the week and I think this is why I resorted to making quick foods. I also didn't record any of my food for the week on the Slimming World site, I didn't even put my weight in to the site until today. On Wednesday, in work, I ate two Nice biscuits (2 syns each) which are low syn but I had to walk away from them as I could have continued munching on them until they were finished. The rest of the week my only syns have been the Alpen light bars for breakfast and a spoon of butter to make 1 pasta and sauce during the week (5.5 syns) until Friday, last night, I had several Southern Comforts with diet cola. I was pouring them at home and not measuring so I don't really know how many syns it was but judging from how much was in the bottle and how much was left, I'll say 35 - 40 syns. I think, so far this week, I've had nearly 100 syns. I'm hoping if I keep today and the next few days fairly syn free that it will all balance out and not have a huuuuge impact on the scales on Monday night.

Even though this hasn't been a great week there have been a few positives - in work I've managed to walk away from high syn snacks or avoid them completely. Even when I was on the booze last night I didn't eat anything I shouldn't have, I ate an apple and a tangerine instead lol. Even though I've been feeling like I can't be bothered cooking I've still went for the free foods and tried to still include a lot of veg in the meal when it would have been easier to have cooked a ready meal or something. I think the other thing is that I still consider myself as on plan and still doing the diet. I'm not giving up cos it has been a rubbish week and even though my heart hasn't been in it I've still tried to stick to it. It definitely hasn't been as enjoyable this week at all. I much prefer foods that I cook from scratch and all the fresh vegetables to what I've been eating this week, it just hasn't felt as healthy. I suppose it's been a bit like "this is what the diet would be like if you couldn't cook" type of week. So I'm learning from it and I'm planning on the remainder of the week and for next week to be much much better. I will most definitely be recording my food, it keeps me more mindful of things so keeps me on track.

Onwards and upwards.

Measurements

I'm not too sure why I didn't do this at the beginning but seeing as I'm only 3 weeks in I'm going to start recording my measurements, so here goes:

Measurements as of Sunday 05/05/2013:

Neck: 16.5 inches
Upper Left Arm: 17 inches
Upper Right Arm: 17 inches
Lower Left Arm: 12.5 inches
Lower Right Arm: 12.5 inches
Left Calf: 18 inches
Right Calf: 18 inches
Bust: 52inches
Chest: 43 inches
Chest: 45.5 inches
Waist: 49 inches
Hips: 52inches

:eek::sigh2::eek:

I've decided I'm going to take these measurements the 1st weekend of every month.

Last edited:
What I want

I've been overweight since I was about 8 or 9 years old. I want to look good and feel confident about my appearance. I want to be able to walk into any shop and buy clothing that I really like. I want to have a really fashionable and colourful wardrobe. I want to feel attractive - not only to others, specifically the OH, but to know it in myself. I'm hoping I'll be able to wear heels one day without feeling so awkward walking around in them. I have a job where I regularly have to stand up in front of classrooms of pupils or halls of their parents giving talks and I want to feel confident doing that. I want to be able to do things that I've always fancied doing but never done because of my weight like going to an exercise class with other people or go rock climbing. I'd love to do a bungee jump or go hang gliding. I'd love to take dance lessons. I've been looking at holidays abroad lately and I want to be certain that I'll fit in the seat of the plane - I'd be mortified if I had to use a seatbelt extender. I want to be able to do any activity I want without my weight putting a question mark in front of it. I want to feel comfortable on hot days - well, I know everyone sweats but to feel more comfortable than I am now. I don't want to dread the summer because it means I'll feel the need to cover up due to embarrasment. I want to have lots of energy. I want to be healthy. I don't want to be "the fat one". I want to feel normal and not judged by others.

Back