Super Speed Foods

SarahJane - pureed/mashed/cooked fruits have a syn value, remember.

BBB - Yes, Speed and Super Speed foods have 'S' or 'SS' next to them. Not all speed foods are superfree, though, and not all superfree foods are S/SS, so worth double checking to begin with.

xx

I am having tilapia (a really nice white fish) with leeks for dinner tonight. That's an SS and an S on the same plate!!

I also have some samphire, which is a bit unusual so it is not listed in the book or on the website. But it is a green vegetable, and there are only 16 calories in 100g, so I am assuming it is superfree, even if it is not speed or superspeed.

(Unfortunately the glass of wine I am having with them is neither!!)

Give me any fruit and I'm happy, but particular faves are strawberries, grapes, cherries and blueberries. Lovely with some fat free yoghurt poured over - or even straight from the punnet :D.

I'm a huge berry fan so its nice that they're speed foods! If you don't like berries as they are SpaceAngel a good way to eat them is as a smoothie. it's great if you're in a hurry and you can add a little bit of honey or sweetner to taste if you like. I usually make one with a small banana, a handful of frozen berries (MUCH cheaper than fresh and obv keep well :) ) and either a bit of free yog or some skimmed milk from my allowance. I just use a hand blender. Great as a filling snack too! :)

Cooked, pureed and stewed fruit has to be synned... so smoothies aren't free x

Good point sarahandmolly - I'd forgotten that!

I made that mistake when I 1st started... I was having a smoothie every morning thinking it was a good way to start my day... erm not, not with 12 syns worth!!!! Ouch! xx

Oh gosh! Oh dear that's not good news for me :p Has it always been the case? How many syns are there for blending fruit? Thankyou for letting me know that. And I thought I was being good! :O

I think i'll be living off strawberries and melon with muller lights. Yum

I think I may have just (inadvertantly) managed a completely superspeed dinner: chicken marinated in honey and mustard and then baked in the oven, with baked sweeto potato and steamed broccoli... can anyone confirm that for me?! (I am doing Slimming World once again without joining up this time and no longer have the books!)

Is beetroot a super free speed food? I bought some of the cooked pickled stuff from the veg bit today cos I love it. If it wasn't for the heartburn I'd eat it a lot more!

I don't get all of this superfree speed superspeed, I didn't even know there was a speed AND superspeed! Thanks anyway ermintrude :)

It's like this:
Superfree is food to fill up on, very healthy, that will not encourage you to put weight on. It's basically fruit and veg, minus avocados and starchy veg, like potatoes

Speed foods are foods that actively encourage weight loss, due to some properties in the food. Superspeed are the top end of this. For example, some fruit/veg, like strawberries, take more calories to burn up than they contain. So you end up in negative calories! Other foods have high fibre content, that aids weight loss by assisting your gastrointestinal tract and by making it more difficult for your body to absorb calories from food. An example would be baked beans. Still others have low fat but high protein content, proven to fill you up for longer and thus reduce amount of food consumed. An example would be chicken.

Some foods fall into both categories, I.e strawberries, which is fab! You can eat loads of them AND they assist weight loss! Cool! You can't just scoff down shed loads of speed foods that aren't also superfree though. Although a portion or so of chicken will aid weight loss, it still has a much higher calorie content than berries, and if you chow it down all day, you're not going to lose any weight.

Hope that helps and doesn't make me sound too nerdy!

Back