Supermarkets are full of bad food...

icemoose

The Diet Guy
I reckon if I had a can of paint and walked round Tesco and painted everything that was high in calories, high in salt, high in fat and generally bad for you then there wouldn't be a lot left!

I went in yesterday and they had a Tesco Finest Lobster Thermidor down from £15 to £5 but when I looked it was over 1000 calories!

And even their Sushi which is low in fat and good for you has 40% of your days salt allowance in a few bits of fish and rice.

So come on supermarkets!! Please cater for us people who want to stay slim by doing healthy food!! And finest shouldn't mean food with the most cream, butter and stodge in it!

(little rant over!)

The amount of processed food in those places is very scarey ! It must be 95% processed rubbish and 5% healthy at the best. Not looking forward to going back into the world of food really !

You are so right. Since starting CD and thinking and worrying already about how we're going it maintain our weight after losing, I've become more aware of this sort of thing. I'm starting to change the way my daughter eats. She isn't overweight at all but I want her to learn healthy eating which will help her as she gets older. I think that especially with foods targeting children, supermarkets need to learn to be more responsible. When you look at the nutritional information, most of it is just cr*p!!

On the other side of the coin I know the supermarkets are only satisfying customer needs and wants...basic marketing! Maybe public attitudes need to change...

Absolutely.

My golden rules is always check the labelling.

I always check the "per 100g" bit of the label to see how many calories and how much fat. For example reduced fat humous is 30% fat!!

Also check Weightwatchers Cherry Bakewells and Kipling Cherry Bakewells!! The difference between them is virtually nothing, spooky when you look!! And the silly thing is if you but Weightwatchers ones you'll probably eat 2 as they are healthier.

And if you really want a laugh then pickup a Tesco Finest Sundae and look at the nutrition label LMAO!! Just obscene

it would make you cry wouldn't it. When i think of the hapless disregard I used to have for what I ate.........dear god......

Great post Mike

x

bettyboo

Oh yeah! I used to buy a tube of pork pies (5 little ones) and eat them in the car on the way home!! Then bin the tube before I came in the house! That was over 1200 calories!!!! And then I used to be surprised how big I was :-(

I also used to eat a whole bag of those peanut, raisin and chocolate chips on the sofa and there are 3000 calories in a bag of them, that's more than my daily allowance and a pound of fat nearly!!

Crazy!! I was such an uneducated food addict, now I am an educated food addict and the fact I know I am an addict means I can fight it.

M.

I bought a WW yoghurt as they were reduced.

Not only was that disgusting, but the ingredients scared me to death. Calories low mind you, but I'd rather have the real thing.

Oh...and just looked up a subway for someone else.

6" spicy italian whatever 1008 calories:eek:

My shocker was the honey and mustard pasta salad in tesco, was about the size of my thumb nail with a whopping 808 calories in it, I used to eat it with a bread roll for a snack!!!!!!!!! What on earth......

Now I make my own, at least I can dictate what goes in my mouth then!

Absolutely!! Look at some of the wraps they do!! 800 calories and it is literally a snack to me!! I do eat a lot of their sushi as it is low fat and low calories and I tend to avoid the soy as that is the major source of the salt.

M.

Totally agree with you all, the market has brain washed us to pick the foods that are either on special offer or so called lighter version. Its aload of marketing plots. Since doing the Cambridge like Mike I read the contents of the packets and I am really scared what I find in the contents. Even the so called low calorie or diet products ect have in them. They all still have bad things in them and the Go ahead is a prime example. Good if you want to eat a lower version but it won't make you lose the weight if you eat more of them as they are smaller or unsatisftying. The usual saying on the packet is they are lower then your average jaffa cake ect, but not enough if you want to lose weight. Some people need to lose at least 1000 calorie to lose weight not just a few calorie differnce in a packet of jaffa cakes.

We should organise a Cambridge day out at a supermarket and see what we should look out for. Mike can lead.

Nick :)

must try sushi, it is on my list of new foods to try, Im just not a big fish fan but I will try it soon

Totally agree with you all, the market has brain washed us to pick the foods that are either on special offer or so called lighter version. Its aload of marketing plots. Since doing the Cambridge like Mike I read the contents of the packets and I am really scared what I find in the contents. Even the so called low calorie or diet products ect have in them. They all still have bad things in them and the Go ahead is a prime example. Good if you want to eat a lower version but it won't make you lose the weight if you eat more of them as they are smaller or unsatisftying. The usual saying on the packet is they are lower then your average jaffa cake ect, but not enough if you want to lose weight. Some people need to lose at least 1000 calorie to lose weight not just a few calorie differnce in a packet of jaffa cakes.

We should organise a Cambridge day out at a supermarket and see what we should look out for. Mike can lead.

Nick :)

Cool idea, Im in Yarmouth in August, meet at Asda!!!

lol give me a nod! :)

M.

must try sushi, it is on my list of new foods to try, Im just not a big fish fan but I will try it soon

It is fantastic! I had sushimi at the weekend in nottingham and it was to just amazing!

M.

I'm not a great lover of sushi, but I adore fresh mackerel.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having some of these 'unhealthy' foods, but it's just that I see people filling their trolleys up with it. I'm also very against foods that are marketed as healthy, but are no such thing.

Deeply suspicious of it all

Oh absolutely and I do sometimes go mad and have a pork pie :) , I just wish that they had more low calorie food and don't associate good food with high calories.

Of course, there are healthy foods that are high in calories and fat. Mackerel for instance :D As a child, we used to have sprats once a week. I loved them too. Again, high fat, high calories. Good fats though.

I think in many cases it must be difficult for them to get a balance. Take low cal ready meals for instance. Make it really low fat and you often lose a lot of flavour. Hence the need to fill it up with chemicals.

One of the reasons I prefer to live with more 'natural' foods. I could save myself a heap of calories, but I'd rather have a little of the real thing, than a lot of the other stuff.

I'm not totally against all convenience foods. Tinned tomatoes are great :D

I suppose its the type of fats that are important. Mackerel is a great oily fish. Good for the heart.......

Mike I can see the headline........Cambridge diet counsellor of the year arrested in Tesco for defacing fattening food !!

x

Bettyboo

lol! I just think it is so hard for people to actually buy healthy food! I don't even go in half the aisles now in Tesco's as there is nothing in there I can sensibly eat! I was looking at a healthy lasagne last weekend that had 7 grams of salt per serving, the recommended daily allowance is 6!

Anyway I sound like a grumpy git so going to stop moaning now.

M.

Back