Supplies

toofatkat

Not such a fat kat now :)
Ive just found out from my daughter who's a dispensary technician that they've got a supply of orlistat but they're not allowed to give it out to just anyone with a script. As a surgery they're only allowed to dispense to those patients with diabetes ! And apparently they're not the only ones doing that. Rules me out I guess

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh my gosh, nooo!!! Thats awful news. Scotland have just changed their guidelines for Bariatric surgery to exclude anyone without Type 2 Diabetes. I would hate to loose this as well :(

It might not apply to all surgeries. She doesn't know if it's a new policy that surgeries can decide for themselves or not.

No probably not. I don't understand why they've done it especially as they are my doctors too and they're prescribing to me although they aren't allowed to dispense to me any longer since we got a chemist in my village. So maybe it's only their stocks they've made the ruling for

I had decided not to take orlistat (don't have any) especially now ttc. BUT out of habit I have rang boots at Cheshire oaks (going for day out tomorrow) and they have a pack. Now reserved in my name.

A few questions

1. Has it messed up anyone's periods? (I havent haf any due to coil)

2. Looked into load of info on pregnancy and orlistat and no evidence. Do you think as long as I stop as soon as I find out I will be ok?

P.s never had any side effects with orlistat before.

busybee_mummy said:
I had decided not to take orlistat (don't have any) especially now ttc. BUT out of habit I have rang boots at Cheshire oaks (going for day out tomorrow) and they have a pack. Now reserved in my name.

A few questions

1. Has it messed up anyone's periods? (I havent haf any due to coil)

2. Looked into load of info on pregnancy and orlistat and no evidence. Do you think as long as I stop as soon as I find out I will be ok?

P.s never had any side effects with orlistat before.

Messed my periods up at first for a couple of months, did a 6 week cycle followed by a 5 the back to my normal 4 weeks but I only took xen for 4 months.

Personally I'd not take it while ttc but everyone is different x

Thanks lexi, going to think long and hard.

I could take 6months to conceive and I could lose at least 2 stone and be much better health or get caught straight away and cause unneasecery risk :-/

I think you'd be ok whist ttc as it does only act on the fats as long as you stop straight away. You are after all giving yourself and baby a better chance if you weigh less. But it may not take 6 months :)

Everyone has to make the decision based on the very limited info that's available. What we do know is the being overweight, obese etc is VERY dangerous in pregnancy, leading to higher risks of complications in Labour (due to larger babies)nd the possibility of mechanical problems such as dislocated shoulders , as well as other health risk factors for baby and higher risk of mother having physical difficulties in late pregnancy / Labour. You are also more likely to develop gestation diabetes, which can sometimes become full on diabetes.
If it was me, I would take them until q few days before the fertile window, and only resuming once your period begins again (presuming you hadn't conceived that month.
Ultimately the decision must be yours though. The effects of orlistat in ttc are not well documented, so you should het as much info as you can and do a sort of risk assessment.

Best of luck for you and your oh on TTC :) x

Just wanted to say that I fell pregnant whilst taking the tablets and everything was fine, just stopped taking them as soon as I found out :) xx

Thanks everyone for the advice. We have spent all weekend discussing it and decided that I will take them and then stop asap. Also just to check its ok when I'm at doctors tomorrow.

Congratulations in advance :)

Back