Susie's 2022 campaign

Its so tempting when food is all around you and I know I would feel very wasteful not using it. My only suggestion is to prepare as much good food as you can and bring it too work with you.
Do you have many veggies available to you, would it be possible to bring a soup maker to work and load it up in the morning and have it cooked by lunch.

At least you will use up calories trying to keep warm.

Thanks Tipp - soup is a good idea.

I've been sitting here thinking about it (should have been working but hey...) and I think it might be worth just trying to tailor something for myself - so I can make soups and slow cooker meals to take, chocka full of the shiratake noodles that fill me up - and lots of veg, which my diet has been sorely lacking in the last few weeks. And I've just got to try and say no to carbs - not a problem with pasta and rice, I don't have them very often anyway, or potatoes.

I do want to start using coconut oil again, so an omelette or bacon and eggs for brekkie, or a bulletproof coffee (they really fill you up!) - so it'll be a sort of high fat, lowish carb approach.

I'm getting completely confused now about good and bad fats and cholesterol. I thought animals fats bad and non animal fats not too bad and sometimes good. That animal were saturated and had cholesterol and non animal unsaturated and no cholesterol. But watching TV last night they said fats solid at room temp are saturated and this includes palm oil and coconut oil. So does that mean they have cholesterol?
Too much to consider.

Morning - just me again, rattling around on my own in my cold diary :).

Freezing cold outside this morning, slightly better in the office and a few more people in, but we've all still got coats and hats on!

I'm getting the wobbles about low carb. TBH what really worries me is all the food that comes in to work - I could probably eat for free and never have to do another supermarket shop again, apart from loo paper and cat food! Today the fridge is full of toasted sandwiches, and there are cakes and cookies galore. And bread. there's always bread! I know I'm not going to be able to resist it and I really don't know what to do - but i have to do something...

Hi,

when I start low carb I will be eating normal toast for breakfast. Then just one slice of bread and a salad or soup for lunch and very little carb in the evening. So you could try that. I couldn't give up bread completely xx

I'm getting completely confused now about good and bad fats and cholesterol. I thought animals fats bad and non animal fats not too bad and sometimes good. That animal were saturated and had cholesterol and non animal unsaturated and no cholesterol. But watching TV last night they said fats solid at room temp are saturated and this includes palm oil and coconut oil. So does that mean they have cholesterol?
Too much to consider.

Palm and coconut oil are worse than butter. Best to be avoided. Better use a little butter and use olive or rapeseed oil. Xx

Palm and coconut oil are worse than butter. Best to be avoided. Better use a little butter and use olive or rapeseed oil. Xx

It's so hard to know what to believe or not, all these conflicting positions from so called TV experts, etc - but I've done a lot of research into it and my own view is that coconut oil is one of the best you can possibly have - it's jam packed full of nutrients. Just look at any of the case studies, of which there are a million online, and people say their cholesterol has dropped substantially while taking virgin organic coconut oil - also lots of medical advice to support this.

Anyhoo it's a personal decision, but coconut oil and olive oil definitely count as good fats as far as I'm concerned :).

Just back home from work and am loaded down with about £50 worth of meat, chicken and other stuff - the fridges at work are overflowing - we need twice the space we've got! I also staggered in with 5kg of baking soda, soda crystals, ACV and white vinegar (bought from Am and delivered to work) to make non toxic cleaning products - my home will be like a palace - as long as I actually do the cleaning :D :D.

Last edited:
It's so hard to know what to believe or not, all these conflicting positions from so called TV experts,
I agree, I am so confused. Have just looked it up and while palm oil and coconut oil do contain saturated fat they don't contain cholesterol. And palm oil is higher is saturated fat that any other fatty food is.

Last edited:
I've got my info from the British heart foundation as my husband has a heart condition.
That's a lot of stuff for cleaning Let us know if it cleans good. I'd be interested to go less chemical with cleaning.

Sorry my post won't quote right and I've tried 5 times to fix it

Oh no Susie is having a 'what diet shall I do' wobble

Honestly I think you need to be less extreme. As soon as you have a little fall, you jump back to eating everything.
You can do low carb without being as extreme as Atkins, but I would suggest sticking below 100g of carbs otherwise you wont be in ketosis and so might feel hungry. If you do want to eat bread (and other food around you at work) stay away from any type of low carb. As soon as you 'slip' once, you will use this as a reason to give up.

Sending you lots of support and encouragement x x

Your job sounds great - even though no heating. Is this so you can empathize with your client base? Food poverty usually means fuel poverty. So so sad :-(

Your job sounds great - even though no heating. Is this so you can empathize with your client base? Food poverty usually means fuel poverty. So so sad :-(

Maybe this is why she needs the bread

No, this time the heater was broken - but you're right, it's devastating that people have to make the choice between eating and heating, or feeding their kids and going without themselves.

Thanks for the suggestions re eating plans, will give it some more thought, but will probably just start with clean and green, with low carb principles...

But not today, off for my first pub lunch since I got back - my best friend from Italy is visiting, so we're off to do a major catch up :D.

Back