Susie's 2022 campaign

Oh poor you, rotten time eh. I hope SW helps with your weight. I confess I thought they were erring toward LCHF! But I am only going by what people have said. A possible solution would be Whole30. The website is full of info, its really great. I had downloaded the book AGES ago. Never used it. Last year we had a 3 month lockdown and I began putting on weight, so I decided to look into Whole30. I followed it and lost weight. The 30 is all about eliminating things that could cause issues. At the end of the full 30 days, you can gradually reinstate foods to see what you can get away with having. People use it for their health and to control weight. The site and book is great. I had got the Kindle download when it was on offer, it might be 99p currently. The follow up book 'It Starts With Food', I have but haven't read through it properly (confession). 'Do The Thing', is her podcast. She's also on Instagram. Whole30 - Community and Whole30 - Recipes Official pages and Melissa Urban's page on Facebook I suppose her maiden name was Hartwig.

I started off with the Whole 30 back in 2012 then changed to Primal which I kept to for a few years.. Now I try and eat a bit of everything in moderation. I've cut out sugar and coffee. As long as I get the essential vitamins etc in then I am done with having to avoid certain food groups.
I am at an age where I want to enjoy what I eat not have to give it up.

Good luck @ladyfelsham with Slimming World. Just avoid those naughty Hi-Fi bars.:)

I started off with the Whole 30 back in 2012 then changed to Primal which I kept to for a few years.. Now I try and eat a bit of everything in moderation. I've cut out sugar and coffee. As long as I get the essential vitamins etc in then I am done with having to avoid certain food groups.
I am at an age where I want to enjoy what I eat not have to give it up.

Good luck @ladyfelsham with Slimming World. Just avoid those naughty Hi-Fi bars.:)
I completely understand. Mind you, what I didnt realise initially is that the regime is for 30 days then you can reinstate the foods you miss while monitoring how they affect you. So you do change it to suit you after the 30 days.

Enjoy whatever you do 😁

Thx for the feedback ladies, I'll stay with SW for now. i have less LC food in than I thought so will do some SW batch cooking tomorrow and start unofficially on Monday x

It doesn't matter eh! You do what suits you. It's what I like about doing 'Me', I choose a book/website, and follow it -and when I fancy a change, that's what I do. It's refreshing. Basically all of it is Low Carbing and has been so since 2003. It might all seem illogical to others but seeing as I don't join groups I dont have to deal with rigid rules and 'opinions', I don't have to justify what I do.

I hope you enjoy your fresh start. Best wishes. xXx

Sorry Susie that you have had the most torrid time. I hope you start to feel back to your normal self. As you know I do slimming world and have for 14 months. I have stuck with the plan for most of that time. I steadily lose on that programme about 1 to 2 pound per week.. My health has improved tenfold since I lost the weight. Good luck with your new plan for weight loss.

Morning all - I'm still here although diet plans have gone out the window completely over Christmas/New Year - oh my there was no stopping me! it didn't help that I got omicron 2 weeks ago - at least I think it was, because the LF tests I ordered arrived yesterday (!) and there are no PCRs to be had in the county. But I had key symptoms - runny nose, sore throat, etc, so self isolated anyway although i only had these symptoms for 2-3 days, then felt fine. Just shows you how virulent the thing is, the only exposure I had was 5 mins with an unmasked grocery delivery man.

Keto is out too. After a little respite from RLS it got a million times worse! Over a few weeks I took food types out, added some in, and it turns out that the high protein/fat approach is the culprit, to the extent that I was getting only an hour's sleep a night, if that. I introduced carbs back in to my food and hey presto, the RLS eased up quite a bit - hasn't stopped, sadly, I've got it going on now, but it's more manageable.

So I've had to flip my approach back to carbs and low fat. I'm heading back to SW too, it's the plan I lost the most weight on. I was going to go on Thursday but a foot of snow in 3 hours made me decide to stay indoors instead - so next Thursday is the new start date :) :). In the meantime I'm using up LC meals I'd made up and avoiding fats when i can - and once i start, will be much more focused and dedicated to recording food here and in a journal, and picking up as much advice as possible from people who have lost well on the plan (don't eat bucketloads of pasta, being a key one!).

Really need to get some weight off quickly though, my hip is starting to hurt (channelling @tipperary!) a lot, and I've also bought a flight home in March for six weeks woohoo! Can't wait to see everyone - but I have a feeling that, although i will love being back, that it won't feel like home anymore. Be good to feel finally settled in my mind.

Off to catch up on diaries now xx
Hi Susie, I too had the exact same symptoms as you. I had runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, felt tired etc. and it too lasted for 2-3 days and felt perfectly back to normal. I had a negative lateral flow and a negative PCR! I'm not sure of the accuracy of the lateral flow but I think the PCR is an accurate test. It could be there is kind of regular cold going around. I work amongst the public and around hundreds of people a day throughout the whole of this and wear a mask so it is likely to have been a cold as I've avoided it so far. However saying that, my son (who I've not seen since beginning of December so we didn't have recent contact) had 4 negative lateral flow and a positive PCR but the same symptoms as I did, it's all very confusing. I think the PCR test will come up positive for weeks or months after if you did indeed have it, so you can still book a test and find out I think. I too thought it strange to have a cold for just 2-3 days and feel perfectly normal. Is it possible to have a false negative PCR? I have no idea. It took me a day to book the PCR and often you'll find at about 7-8 am appointments become magically available where there are none before that.

Going back to SW sounds perfect! About 90% of my meals are now vegan (no meat or dairy but I have a bit of seafood occasionally) I've never felt better or weighed less. You'll find the plan that suits you and you always did great on SW with nothing forbidden.

Thx all for your kind comments - i just wish the RLS wasn't so unpredictable, I have a few good nights, get seduced into thinking I've got it properly managed and then whammo I have a night like last night with excruciating cellulitis-like pains in my legs for 10 hours, where painkillers did nothing. Easing up now TG but have to admit there were times in the night where i did feel a bit low - not good with pain LOL.

@coffeelover hun I'm so pleased your cold (or whatever it was) didn't last long - weird eh? i had another friend with the same symptoms, in London - so not near me - and she tested positive! Whatever it is, the local figures are going through the roof, they have doubled in less than a week, so I will continue to keep a low profile.

Foodwise, I have been simply TERRIBLE. Why do i think it's fine to order pizza AND garlic bread just before starting a new plan? "Last chance" thinking - but it's so stupid, i'm just putting weight on that i will have to then take off again! Yet I do it every time. I haven't shown much discipline over the last year, so really need to put myself on a SW bootcamp - no sugary stuff or chocolate in the house (definitely no SW bars!), limit the pasta to 75g, lots of green veg first, and so on. Ah well, onwards and downwards!

Haha I'm the same with the last hurrah on food it must be done!!

Yes all so confusing, cold, covid or coldvid as I've renamed it. They seem so be morphing into each other which is no bad thing.

Love the idea of a SW bootcamp! Hope the carbs help your RLS. I've had it before from working on my feet a lot and it's a horrible feeling. .

Just googled RLS and it said can be caused by low levels of dopamine? There's also a online group called stuff that works https://www.stuffthatworks.health/restless-legs-syndrome May have some ideas there? It also mentioned a probiotic, I took something called VSL 3 a couple years back and it was really good for lots of issues.

Thx hun - I really appreciate your googling on my behalf!

I'm already a member of the Stuff that works - and know about some RLS being caused by dopamine levels. Unfortunately this is the only part of RLS that UK doctors respond to, with nasty drugs to raise your dopamine levels. They are so swayed by the pharmaceutical industry! US studies (on the US RLS Assn web page) show these dopamine agonists (as they are called) cause augmentation (appear to fix it then make the RLS much, much worse) in 65-80% of cases. They also have dreadful side effects - so I refuse to take them. If you are interested, that US RLS site (www.https://www.rls.org/) has a heartbreaking vicdeo about some sufferers - one woman gets it in arms and legs, the poor thing, and has to do everything standing up so she can constantly do a little dance because she just can't sit still. Another woman has found relief from methadone - and I know mine eases up considerably from Tramadol - but it got taken off my prescription list and no one knows why, so even though you're not supposed to go cold tukey, that's what I ended up having to do. Got a call booked with a new GP at my surgery on Thursday to beg to get them back!

RLS can also be down to low magnesium or iron levels, but really the medical profession doesn't have a lot of answers - which is terrible considering around 5% of the population get it. And there's no cure.

Last edited:
I use to have a doctor who would take off my painkillers for no apparent reason, Not even seeing me to assess whether I needed them. In the end I was so fed up of having to chase up to get the drug put back on I spoke to my hospital consultant neurologist and told him of the GP who like to remove my medication. He wrote a letter back telling him in no uncertain terms to leave my medication alone. I know some drugs are addictive I am on but consultant said it was about quality of life. Since this letter he has never touched my drugs.

It is frustrating when there is no effective treatment for RLS other than drugs which has awful side effects which are just as bad as RLS symptoms. Certain illnesses and syndromes have very little in the way of funding to look into new treatment options or kinder drug therapies. We are the ones left picking up the pieces the best we can and soldiering on.

Thx all for your kind comments - i just wish the RLS wasn't so unpredictable, I have a few good nights, get seduced into thinking I've got it properly managed and then whammo I have a night like last night with excruciating cellulitis-like pains in my legs for 10 hours, where painkillers did nothing. Easing up now TG but have to admit there were times in the night where i did feel a bit low - not good with pain LOL.

@coffeelover hun I'm so pleased your cold (or whatever it was) didn't last long - weird eh? i had another friend with the same symptoms, in London - so not near me - and she tested positive! Whatever it is, the local figures are going through the roof, they have doubled in less than a week, so I will continue to keep a low profile.

Foodwise, I have been simply TERRIBLE. Why do i think it's fine to order pizza AND garlic bread just before starting a new plan? "Last chance" thinking - but it's so stupid, i'm just putting weight on that i will have to then take off again! Yet I do it every time. I haven't shown much discipline over the last year, so really need to put myself on a SW bootcamp - no sugary stuff or chocolate in the house (definitely no SW bars!), limit the pasta to 75g, lots of green veg first, and so on. Ah well, onwards and downwards!
Oh Susie, how horrible to have such pain in your legs. As for the pig-out pre diet, Ive done that! I think we all do stupid things, because we are human. It doesn't matter now. That was in the past, you can move on.

Ref your low Dopamine levels, I understand where you are coming from when it comes to doctors prescriptions. It may or may not be wise but I tend to avoid medications if I can, I always hope that I can find a natural way to solve a health issue, and I will only resort to going to the GP if I haven't solved it with diet or herbal/homeopathic means. I do hope you can find a way. x

Fighting with doctors seems to be my fav pastime at the moment 🤪 Well more like advocating for myself ;)

Susie, you got this and will smash slimming world. I'm a total believer in finding a weight loss plan that you can stick to vs how quick you can get it off.

always here cheering ya on x

I think if we do not advocate for ourselves when we know our own bodies we can get fobbed off. Years ago I was suffering from numbness and pins and needles. I was sent to see the dietitian as all the doctor saw was I was over weight I saw another doctor in the practice who saw past that referred me to a neurologist after he did a few simple neurological tests. A year or so on I was diagnosed formally with MS but I had self diagnosed myself from the medical library having access to it with being a nurse. So diagnosis came as no big shock.

I kept getting told that they needed to see my bloodwork of my 3 month average blood glucose levels (hba1c test) until I pointed out that I have had 4 medication changes due to side effects so unless it can pinpoint what happened under what medication, my meter tells me more than that does at the moment.
New meds and today is day 3. already seeing a difference :)

I kept getting told that they needed to see my bloodwork of my 3 month average blood glucose levels (hba1c test) until I pointed out that I have had 4 medication changes due to side effects so unless it can pinpoint what happened under what medication, my meter tells me more than that does at the moment.
New meds and today is day 3. already seeing a difference :)
Medication can have positive or negative results on our bloods. I am on numerous medications which lowers the sodium levels in my blood to a very low level not in therapeutic range. Every time I had bloods they had to be repeated. Till in the end fed up being a pin cushion I armed myself with documentation showing which medication lowered sodium levels and I was on about 3 of them Stopped using me as a pin cushion now. Good for you for advocating for yourself. Glad your new medication is having good results. since starting my weight loss journey I have stopped my blood pressure medication as I now have a normal to low blood pressure now and cholesterol tablets have been reduced such a wonderful feeling to feel my weight loss is impacting my health in a positive way instead of negative.

Lovely @Lottie12 thanks so much love, you sure know how to buck a person up! Smmoooch, and lots of love back!

I've become a big fan of the Fitness Chef and feel like I'm finally sorting out my life plan here - he just talks so much sense (to me), and it's all based on science, which I like too. Definitely not a fan of slimming clubs etc but puts his case for that very clearly - so, he's not for everyone if you're into SW etc - but I always feel that it's worth checking what other points of view say.

Anyhoo, it's all about calorie deficit for me from now on - started a mini CC club with a couple of friends online last week, and really happy with how it's going. Having to be vigilant with calorie counting and not just eyeballing, and writing everything down - but that's a good reminder anyway of what I've had. All food is good, eat anytime (when I'm hungry), no guilt allowed, and no exercise until it doesn't cause me pain - just simply tweaking a few old habits and enjoying my meals.

Hope everyone is doing well xx

Glad you have found a programme that fits into your lifestyle and that you feel you can stick too. Please your enjoying the food and have others to support you in your journey. Like you in the beginning I did no exercise. But as I have become lighter i can do a bit more. In the beginning I did the shortest of walks and have built up some strength in my legs over the past few month and now extended how far i go. By the end of my walk I am shattered but feel so good to have achieved it. Short rest sees me recovered. So hopefully you will follow suite as your body allows. It is all about listening to our bodies when we have health issues. I still go only a short distance in walking but from doing nothing I see this as a big achievement and I can 't compare to others as I have health issues to manage that I will live with for the rest of my life. Look forward to hearing of your weight loss journey in your mini cc club

Hi all - hope everyone is keeping warm and safe! All is going well on my CC lifestyle - 3 weeks in and I've lost a stone, which I;m really delighted with. Cals are set quite high too, so i can reduce them over time.

Today has been a lot of bad choices but I've got a few days to get back in deficit, it's just so cold and miserable, it's hard not to reach for food that will use up my cals quickly!

Sxx

Back