SW are crazy.....

Yeah, the sugars thing is all crap. It's just that you could sqush the juice and pulp from 10 oranges and drink it in one gulp and your body would have no problem digesting it, but if you sat and peeled and ate 10 oranges, it would take you so much longer and your body would have to work harder to digest them.

The actual process of your body digesting a drink vs digesting solids comes into play too. If it's doing you no harm, do it baby! If it starts to slow down, re-evaluate.

The 'blending fruit' thing wasn't about releasing sugar, more the fact that you can consume a whole lot more blended than eaten whole.
Though, I agree, if you blended the same amount that you would eat whole then I can't see a probem with that....it obviously hasn't done you any harm anyway!!

I've heard both explanations trotted out as the reasoning for this, generally when you point out that you're only consuming the same amount of fruit as you would if you were eating it whole, you get the 'oh but it releases the sugars!!' thing in response.

I'd respect SW a lot more on this if they stopped with the pseudo-science and just said honestly 'we prefer you to eat your fruit whole because it fits in with our overall philosophy toward food'. By telling people that blending fruit somehow 'releases' mysterious sugars that don't get released by chewing and mashing up in the stomach, they're probably contributing to some people not getting any fruit at all. This is what happened to me when I first started SW - I really, really don't like eating fruit whole, so by cutting out the smoothies I was actually getting no fruit compared to before!

Which is patently ridiculous, as I sensibly realised a couple of months in.

There is 1 syn in a packet of cheese & onion flavoured smash

There is half a syn in a packet of cheese and broccoli batchelor's pasta n sauce. That flavour used to be free, it is no longer.

Back