SW consultants over whether members stay for image therapy

I have always stayed for IT as I personally found it very helpful but my c is excellent. I also enjoy the whole experience of chatting to people and exchanging ideas etc. I am on the social team (shop) so stay anyway and help pack stuff away. Not everyone can stay though and they should not be spoken to any differently than the regular stayers. Our IT is always good, we do quizzes, competitions, then the losses etc, raffle and SOTW with the fruit basket:)

i love staying. helps so much but sometimes i cant stay... my consultant does something monthlyto get more to stay...
when you stay to class you get name written on raffle ticket for every week we stay, end of the month all put in pot an someone is drawn to win 1 free week. It does help some people stay x

I love IT. It helps me so much and I have made some lovely friends at group. For me, it's not just about what the C does but about what you put in too.

Fair enough if people can't stay for group, not everyone can and they shouldn't be looked down on for it, but I do get miffed when people stay just long enough to say their bit and then leave straight after. IT is about helping others, not just saying your bit. Fair dos if you can't stop but it just seems a bit off to want to be listened to but not be willing to listen to others who might benefit from your help.

Sometimes our C spends a while with one person in IT and it does take a bit longer but it's always someone who is struggling and really needs the support of the group. And we can all learn from it, not just that one person This week the one person was me as I was having a total meltdown and I was so very grateful for the group's support and understanding! I <3 my SW group.

My SW consultant is good but I'm unable to stay for image therapy every week due to childcare and work commitments. I still pay the same as everyone else even when I only go to get weighed and yet her attitude towards those that don't always stay stinks! Why is this and does anyone else have any similar experiences.

I have also read her messages to another consultant on Facebook which I don't think she realises are public, and she really talks about members who don't stay with contempt. We don't all have the free time to stay for ,settings every week and to be honest, it's putting me off going altogether because of the weeks I can't stay.

SW judges its consultants by several criteria, two of which are (a) how many people stay for Image Therapy, and (b) how much weight is lost by all members each week.

And it is a well-known SW statistic that, on average, people who stay lose more than people who don't.

So consultants do have a vested interest in persuading you to stay. That's why some groups have raffles, etc., for those who do stay.

However, people may have all sorts of genuine reasons why staying is not possible, and consultants should respect that. As for putting comments on Facebook - for heaven's sake! Why are people so STUPID about Facebook? No-one should ever put anything on there that they wouldn't want the world to see - because they probably will eventually.

It would be a pity if you had to leave your group, but if you do decide to do so, I would suggest that you write to the consultant and tell her exactly why she has lost a paying customer, and send a copy to SW HQ too!

My SW consultant is good but I'm unable to stay for image therapy every week due to childcare and work commitments. I still pay the same as everyone else even when I only go to get weighed and yet her attitude towards those that don't always stay stinks! Why is this and does anyone else have any similar experiences.

I have also read her messages to another consultant on Facebook which I don't think she realises are public, and she really talks about members who don't stay with contempt. We don't all have the free time to stay for ,settings every week and to be honest, it's putting me off going altogether because of the weeks I can't stay.

I can totally see why you are upset about it, for one if you have commitments then it cannot be helped and two she should not be discussing it openly on Facebook as that could upset a lot of people too.

My consultant is lovely, she's never made comments about people who don't stay to class etc which is good and I think if she did start doing it then I wouldn't think too highly of her.

Especially this time of year, a lot of people have things going on etc so I know it's not easy staying, the other week my consultant even let me weigh in early because I said I wouldn't be able to make class otherwise which I thought was really nice of her.

I must admit although I always stay to class I sometimes feel a little awkward as I'm quite new so always sit in my own as everyone sits together in their little groups of people. But I do find the class helpful, I get some ideas and inspiration off people but also love listening to those excuses of some lol!!

xxx

As much as I love the SW plan, the meetings need an overhaul. 'Image therapy' sounds quite exciting, but it's just a fancy name for people talking about how they've eaten three pork pies and put on half a pound or how they've managed to drink a bucket of alcohol at the weekend. Well, that's how it is in my group. I stay about 50% of the time on the off chance that I may learn something new, or pick up some tips, but I usually come out wanting to give someone a good slap.

Our C is so dedicated she is going to be there WI Christmas Eve between 9am and 2pm I call that dedication ! The only thing as she is putting the effort to be there I feel compelled to get there (but I suppose I'll be better off going at least I can't eat the goodies in the house of I'm out hehe)

To be honest I find I.T a tad dull. The going round the group with loses and gains - (especially the gains) always the same people with the same excuses. It goes on for too long, WI starts at 0930 we dont sit down to I.T till around 1045/1100 and then its for another hour to hour and a half so finishing about 1200/1230. Too long.

I guess I havent found 'my' group yet!

Mine doesn't go round each person she just says hands up any gains you want to talk about .... maintainers....1/2 off 1off etc we have a right laugh almost wet myself every week I love my consultant she's funny bubbly honest and really motivating

Where is your group please? ;)

I love my group and it really helps me to stay to group. But I have to take my 22 month old son and while everyone is really good with him he gets bored. I don't want to spoil everyone else's IT experience when he's playing up. So sometimes I don't stay when I know he's not in a mood to stay quiet for an hour. I would not expect my C to slag me off publicly for weighing and leaving. But I can understand why a C would get frustrated when people don't stay especially with the ones that don't stay and then say SW doesnt work cause they don't get the full help that SW offers.

To be honest I find I.T a tad dull. The going round the group with loses and gains - (especially the gains) always the same people with the same excuses. It goes on for too long, WI starts at 0930 we dont sit down to I.T till around 1045/1100 and then its for another hour to hour and a half so finishing about 1200/1230. Too long.

I guess I havent found 'my' group yet!

You have a pretty big group there... It's a rarity when we arent all done and dusted by two hours. I do hear you about same people with same excuses...

Yeah that does seem like a long time! We start at 7, IT starts at 7.30 on the dot and we're usually done for 8.30 ish.

Ahhhhh a little too far for a weekly WI. Im near Brighton!

I love my group too, me and my cousin have a corner where we have a board up for body magic and we give the body magic awards out, when people hit platinum we put their names on a silver star at the top of the ladder :)
Also the new venue we have the consultant can't get in to set up the night before at tea time as they run a scouts class for kids until 7:30, so me and my cousin go and help her set up at 7:30 on a tuesday night. I don't know if people from the later group stay and help her pack up though, as the next group she runs goes on until 9pm.

So I suppose what I'm saying is after learning all of this, I realise being a consultant is bloody hard and people should make an effort to stay. But still I'm sticking to my guns when I say the consultant in question in this thread still shouldn't be nasty about it

As much as I love the SW plan, the meetings need an overhaul. 'Image therapy' sounds quite exciting, but it's just a fancy name for people talking about how they've eaten three pork pies and put on half a pound or how they've managed to drink a bucket of alcohol at the weekend. Well, that's how it is in my group. I stay about 50% of the time on the off chance that I may learn something new, or pick up some tips, but I usually come out wanting to give someone a good slap.

Lol some people are like this I have to agree. I've been there since 28th march and lost 4stone (well 1lb away) and I've worked bloody hard for it and stuck to plan and just started excersing the last 2 months or so. Then people moan because they can't follow plan lol it only works when you follow it!!

I have to giggle at one lady, she's lovely and I like her but she's been there way before me and hasn't lost any weight since I've joined, and every week its 'well I think its time of the month' why pay money if you arnt gonna follow it for that length of time? I know everyone goes through the odd bad week but come on....

I agree that being a c is hard work but not that members hould have to stay, its not a condition of being a member and we are after all the customer and are paying for the service and if all we want is to weigh and go there's nothing in the rules to say we have to do otherwise.
Its probably wworse now its electronic and the people who stay are recorded and sent to head office before they probably weren't aware. If there is an issue with the number of people staying to group maybe they do need to make changes to the format.

I agree that being a c is hard work but not that members hould have to stay, its not a condition of being a member and we are after all the customer and are paying for the service and if all we want is to weigh and go there's nothing in the rules to say we have to do otherwise.
Its probably wworse now its electronic and the people who stay are recorded and sent to head office before they probably weren't aware. If there is an issue with the number of people staying to group maybe they do need to make changes to the format.

No I said people should make an effort, if they can. Not that people should 'have' to stay :)

I never understood why people used to keep paying to go and not stick to plan/lose the first time round either but if it stops them getting bigger and bigger its worth the weekly fee I've found this time round as have found it harder to be 100 per cent all the time

When I first started I never understood that either... I started off at SW being very sceptical about it and part of that was to do with all the people saying things like "oh the last time I did slimming world..." or "this is my 4th go at it..." I always thought, well if it was really such a great easy plan why do all these people have multiple goes/keep falling off plan.

I still don't understand it totally as I find plan very easy to follow but I do understand that a lot of people probably don't find it as easy as me, people with busier lives and more family or social commitments etc. I only work part time so I have a lot of time to dedicate to planning my eating.

I am glad I found this site though as it gave me an insight into people who have multiple goes at the SW thing... the universal piece of advice to take from their posts seems to be "don't give up the first time round and stick at it because it's much harder to stick to a second or third time"

It's a piece of advice that has stuck with me, as any time I have a bad day and think about jacking it in I remember that it won't be so easy to start it again especially if I put back on some of the weight I've lost so it motivates me to keep going and see this thing through to target and beyond! :)

Back