SW & DIABETIES?

SJDrocit

I have just got back from the Dr, and found out that I have to have further tests.

I had my blood tests done as a new patient 13days ago, got my blood sugar result today and told that it looks like im boredline diabetic. I wasnt told much else as they are going a gluocose intolerance test in the morning.

I have to fast from 10pm have my blood sugar test have some lucozade, wait in the gp surgery for 2hrs and have another test. Its abit of a farse but I suppose it has to be done.

I dont know what will happen if I am borderline looks like it will be diet controlled.

What does it effect on the plan?

You should be able to continue with SW without too many changes as the key to a healthy diet for diabetes is basically just a healthy diet. Check out this site for further info on what you should be aiming for and you'll find it almost identical to SW.

Ten steps to eating well - Diabetes UK

yep you should be able to continue with SW with very little changes as Circes pointed out, depending on how severe your diabetes is obviously.

I know low GI foods are great for those with PCOS, so I would presume the same would apply to someone with diabetes, which would just mean cutting out white carbs, so whole wheat pasta instead of white, and whole wheat rice, as well as limited white potatoes. New potatoes are okay, as are sweet potatos.

Other than that, most other things are fine, I think you have to watch some veg and some fruits too, but it isnt too drastic and I am sure you will be given an information sheet.

Thanks for that, weird you saying that I was diagnosed with PCOS few years ago, which is why the dr reckons I have the higher blood sugar level

Hiya
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes back in January 2009. I was put onto Metformin tablets and advised to try to keep blood levels ok by healthy eating etc.... I follow the Extra Easy eating plan - I contacted SW when I was diagnosed and they suggested any of their plans are suitable...... hope this helps - good luck with your test tomorrow - keep us posted - email me if you want a private chat about anything Diabetes related etc....

Jill

i have bein doing ee for about 38 weeks when i started i was on Metformin 3 times a day in jan at anual review i got told i no longer need to take Metforminas i have managed to control it threw diet :)

Back