SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

I've got my box too!! Replied on my diary. How good is this one? I'm interested to hear what anyone thinks about dehydrating veggies and whether they might be considered a tweak? Fruit I can understand because it would concentrate the sugars, but veg?

Vegan box came in normal post and love love love it this month!

I'm still fairly new to veggie so want to fully get my head around that before I attempt anything vegan, I have always hated eggs but I still like cake. I don't drink milk anyway so for me it's cheese and yoghurt although it's cheese that would be the hardest to give up

I know! I def think I'll do vegan weeks more often... I do love a cheeky steak though... (is that a swear word on this thread?! ;))

I do actually eat quite a lot of veggie food already as my sister is a veggie so when I'm spending time with her or we go away for a weekend, I tend to cook only veggie meals. I do like a few red days though on SW to get a decent loss. I def don't think I lose as much on green.

I have seen some people who are veggie do red days as quorn and linda mccartney are all ok on red days, when I was trying to become veggie the hardest thing to give up was my rare fillet steak on a sat night and even now the thought makes me drool, I kept eating fish until a few weeks ago but now I am trying 100% veggie.

I have just cooked for dinner tonight a cauliflower and chickpea curry from river cottage veg book, tried it and it smells amazing, I halved the quantities to make 2 servings so will have rest tomorrow for lunch, the only thing in it that is not free on green is the olive oil and I used 1tbsp for the whole thing which makes it 3 syns each or half a b choice. That is one of the best veggie books I have ever seen

I have seen some people who are veggie do red days as quorn and linda mccartney are all ok on red days, when I was trying to become veggie the hardest thing to give up was my rare fillet steak on a sat night and even now the thought makes me drool, I kept eating fish until a few weeks ago but now I am trying 100% veggie.

Ah, are you doing it for ethical reasons then?

I know right now that I don't want to give up meat/fish/dairy etc. I really do love my food too much but I def would have meat free days/weeks/months for a challenge.

I'm making a chickpea, tomato and spinach curry tomorrow (recipe here) and really looking forward to it!! Will be using frylight instead of oil though and synning the coconut cream (works out at roughly ~3 syns a portion) - can't wait!

I don't think there are any right or wrong ways to do any of this. There are so many factions of vegetarianism and veganism from meat reducing right through to total vegan and not even using things like honey. We all have our reasons and approaches. I suppose the main thing is we are happy with where we are at. I eat vegan where I can (try and take away my leather mulberry alexa - I dare you! ;)) but am relatively comfortable eating eggs, just less of them and from better sources. Dairy, well I agree that cutting out cheese totally would be so hard for me and I'm not about to make this a chore as it removes the fun. I eat it so rarely. Like OpalLily still having steak occasionally. It's all ok if YOU are happy with it. I love that it's such a personal choice. My husband is following my footsteps too. He would now be classed as a meat reducer.

I have just cooked for dinner tonight a cauliflower and chickpea curry from river cottage veg book, tried it and it smells amazing, I halved the quantities to make 2 servings so will have rest tomorrow for lunch, the only thing in it that is not free on green is the olive oil and I used 1tbsp for the whole thing which makes it 3 syns each or half a b choice. That is one of the best veggie books I have ever seen

I may have to order a copy of this. I'm a sucker for a new cookbook!

I may have to order a copy of this. I'm a sucker for a new cookbook!

It is well worth it, I watched the river cottage veg programme first and then bought the book and most of the things are either already SW friendly or can be adapted such as the kale and mushroom lasagne, pinto bean chilli etc.

I am sure it is still half price on amazon at moment as well

Ah, are you doing it for ethical reasons then?

I know right now that I don't want to give up meat/fish/dairy etc. I really do love my food too much but I def would have meat free days/weeks/months for a challenge.

I'm making a chickpea, tomato and spinach curry tomorrow (recipe here) and really looking forward to it!! Will be using frylight instead of oil though and synning the coconut cream (works out at roughly ~3 syns a portion) - can't wait!

I have always been an animal lover but when I rescued my two dogs and starred walking them through the trust land near my home and saw all the lambs just been born and the little calves and I just felt a bit sad to go home and eat them and it went from there really.

I do a lot with animal rescue and the final straw for me was the crash on the motorway of the lorry full of chickens going to slaughter and the way the lorry driver was stamping over them and throwing them back in the lorry ( sorry for the detail) and I just thought I can't do this anymore!

I still own leather goods from prior to this and see no benefit to getting rid of them and I don't plan on ever giving up honey so I couldn't ever be a true vegan.

Bet you wish you never asked now lol!!

I think it's good for health reasons also to have even a few meat free days each week

It's been proven that reducing red meat is good for heart health :) and anything that increases veg and pulse intake will benefit you too. Once, twice or seven days a week. The chicken story would put me off too. For me it was watching "Vegucated" on Netflix. I've talked about it before on here but there is one really harrowing bit that had me in tears. I gave it up there and then. Cold turkey (excuse the pun!)

i can find two editions of the veg book. Does yours have Hugh F-W on the front or just some veggies?

Last edited:
Same for me, an awful programme... I have never eaten an animal since. Feel so much better for it, both healthier in mind and body. My boyfriend doesn't eat as much either and my mum has been meat free for a few months now! She still eats fish thoygh but every little helps! X

Same for me, an awful programme... I have never eaten an animal since. Feel so much better for it, both healthier in mind and body. My boyfriend doesn't eat as much either and my mum has been meat free for a few months now! She still eats fish thoygh but every little helps! X

Thought it was just me. I thought the documentary was excellent. A real food based social experiment. It's just that one "bit". I wasn't prepared for it at all. Everyone I know has since reduced their meat, even my dad will now eat some veggie foods. His partner is doing SW too and it's HIM that's lost half a stone. Our little girl eats meat and I would never stop her but she knows that I don't. I would expect her to be a minimal meat eater as she gets older and whatever she chooses is up to her. At the age she is (4) I think it's too important to expose her to as many foods as possible.

mine has HFW on the front.

daren't watch any of those films!

It's been proven that reducing red meat is good for heart health :) and anything that increases veg and pulse intake will benefit you too. Once, twice or seven days a week. The chicken story would put me off too. For me it was watching "Vegucated" on Netflix. I've talked about it before on here but there is one really harrowing bit that had me in tears. I gave it up there and then. Cold turkey (excuse the pun!)

i can find two editions of the veg book. Does yours have Hugh F-W on the front or just some veggies?

Right, I can see the one. Think ill get a copy. I do love to cook.

edit: I'm tempted by the gift set of the veg one and the fruit one together. They look so good!!

Problem being that I "gift" myself all too often haha :) Ok I'll make a deal with myself. If I get 2 or more lbs off this week and get to 11 something I'll buy it. :)

The duo version that is! That's my incentive!

It is really important to look after yourself. That's the reason we're all doing SW in the first place, right?

On Valentines day this year, I bought myself an All Saints leather jacket (inappropriate for veggie/vegan thread? - sorry guys!). Real love begins with loving yourself... or so I told myself ;)

Maybe inappropriate but I share your love. An all saints jacket in a ten is my ultimate goal piece. Along with my tattoo (tick), my Louis Vuitton (tick) and my chanel number 5 (tick). I think I love myself a little too much haha ;)

Back