SW - Why are mashed bananas syn'd?

Hi,

I'm new on here and just finding my way around. I'm also fairly new to slimming world, have been at it about 5 weeks and lost 8lbs so far! however I was just on the website looking at the 'Ten ways with Banana's' feature and noticed that mashed bananas appear to be 4 syns per banana. Can anyone explain why this is? I must admit if I am hungry and don't have time to eat, I'll grab a banana, on my understanding if I just peel and eat it, its free, but if I mashed it, it jumps up to a whopping 4 syns?:confused: Its not like I'm mixing it with sugar or oil so why on earth does the simple act of mashing a banana dramatically increase its syn value? Ive gotta say this has annoyed me!!

Thanks

It may be annoying but if you're going to follow SW you have to follow all the rules for the best possible weight loss. It's not just bananas it's all fruits, something to do with the breakdown of the food, someone with a better memory will probably reply with more info lol!

That's a bit bonkers! I mean, it all gets mashed up in your mouth anyway - you don't swallow it whole after all!

Would love to know the reasoning behind this if anyone knows.

Thanks Sugar, I know I have to stick to it and I am, I just cant understand it! So Say for example I like to eat mashed banana on Crisp bread, if I change it to sliced banana on crisp bread the banana is free? It just seems so daft! If i don't get an explanation here I'll speak to my consultant on weds!

From the SW website:

Q: Why are some fruits Free when raw, but have a Syn value when cooked, juiced or pureed?

A: While fruit in its natural form is bulky, filling and often time-consuming to eat, in cooked, pureed, liquidised or smoothie form it makes it very easy to over-consume and is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra energy (calories) in a non-bulky and non-filling way, which doesn’t satisfy your appetite in the same way as eating fresh whole/sliced fruit. Consider eating an orange. Peeling, breaking up the segments and eating just one orange can be a lengthy process. Now think about the juice that orange would produce – it contains a similar number of calories, yet it’s gone in a gulp – in fact it takes 8 oranges to make a small glass of orange juice and it’s not filling in the slightest! It’s all about getting the most (optimum) satisfaction from your foods with Food Optimising. We count juiced, pureed and cooked fruit as Syns to protect your weight losses.

Ok thanks, I've read something like that before and generally get it but I still think it's extreme when it comes to counting a mashed banana as 4 syns, i'll just have it sliced, it's not worth the argument, lol!

I agree that it seems a bit mad that a mashed banana has to count when a whole one doesnt ,especially as they have a pulpy texture anyway, but there may be something in it. I know from what ive researched on diabetes, and from personal experience that mashed potato for instance has a much bigger impact on blood sugars than whole potato does, so mashed banana may have a similar impact.

I'd better check if I'm falling down anywhere else then. I knew about fruit juice and purees but never thought about mashed banana or potato, what about tins of chopped tomato's etc? Thanks for the info lynn x

Back