SW with ME/CFS

GoForIt said:
Well done, that is great! I'm glad that you are seeing results. It gives me hope that I will too! What's a VLCD? Please excuse my ignorance!

Anyway, hope you sleep well.

A vlcd is a very low calorie diet I believe 800kcals or less I did those meal replacement diets, you know shakes, soups no food :S really bad for your me/fatigue

Apparently veg juice is free if you juice yourself not store bought, so is lemon and lime juice :)

Really? Oh, the SW handbook I have (from January) is a bit misleading then. Does that mean that veg juice counts as a superfree food in terms of balancing your meal? This is exciting! I did calorie counting today and it has driven me mad checking everything!

Those shake diets are bad for you, period, regardless of whether you have M.E., in my opinion.

GoForIt said:
Really? Oh, the SW handbook I have (from January) is a bit misleading then. Does that mean that veg juice counts as a superfree food in terms of balancing your meal? This is exciting! I did calorie counting today and it has driven me mad checking everything!

Those shake diets are bad for you, period, regardless of whether you have M.E., in my opinion.

I assume so :) you going to think about joining us then? :)

hi mel,carly and all,
after a good week of getting out and about,swimming,walking into town ,i pulled a muscle in my calf and have developed a blinkin' limp ,had a disagreement with my son and started misery eating ,going over my syns and not writing down my food for 3 days .boyfriend came over to take me to manchester on sunday,i got the train back last night and thankfully my new s.w week started today.have ad some lovely organic apricots,made bulgar wheat salad with roasted veg and chilli flakes today but can feel my enthusiasm waning,4 weeks in.
D.Q it took me all this time to work out how to find this thread....fantastic.
daisy xx

cupcakedaisy said:
hi mel,carly and all,
after a good week of getting out and about,swimming,walking into town ,i pulled a muscle in my calf and have developed a blinkin' limp ,had a disagreement with my son and started misery eating ,going over my syns and not writing down my food for 3 days .boyfriend came over to take me to manchester on sunday,i got the train back last night and thankfully my new s.w week started today.have ad some lovely organic apricots,made bulgar wheat salad with roasted veg and chilli flakes today but can feel my enthusiasm waning,4 weeks in.
D.Q it took me all this time to work out how to find this thread....fantastic.
daisy xx

Hey Daisy :) glad you found us!!
Sounds like you had a great week before the muscle :( are you taking lots of ibuprofen it helps the swelling x
Oh sorry to hear you fell out with your son :( boys who'd have 'em :)
Salad sounds tasty and elaborate :) Awwww don't give up Daisy it's just a bad day/couple of days xx remind yourself why you want to lose weight etc. x
Glad you found us finally ;)

I'm having a really hard day today have been really hungry and craving rubbish :( was starting to feel a bit down about it until I realised totm was looming then it all made sense :) trying so hard to be good but I'm struggling.
Had a relatively good day MEwise today managed to get a few small chores done which was good, got a friend visiting for the weekend tomorrow, she's not very well herself (depression) so it will be a quiet one hopefully :) no energy for anything really :)

I've been unofficially diagnosed with M.E. now for awhile. I recently moved to be with my bf and I now have a new doctor who is looking into my case again. She is headed to diagnose me with it but, as usual, my CRP in my blood test is high so she's not sure what's going on.
Do you guys have a regular high CRP in your bloods? It's an inflammatory marker.

I've been diagnosed with everything from depression and puberty to Malaria...it's so very difficult. I had to leave school when I was 14 and have basically no credentials to my name. I don't think I'll ever become the medical professional I wanted to be or a police officer that was my back up plan. I'm only 21 and feeling pretty bleak about my future. I'm waging a lot of happiness on the fact that I hope when I lose weight I will be that much healthier...

FaithFluro said:
I've been unofficially diagnosed with M.E. now for awhile. I recently moved to be with my bf and I now have a new doctor who is looking into my case again. She is headed to diagnose me with it but, as usual, my CRP in my blood test is high so she's not sure what's going on.
Do you guys have a regular high CRP in your bloods? It's an inflammatory marker.

I've been diagnosed with everything from depression and puberty to Malaria...it's so very difficult. I had to leave school when I was 14 and have basically no credentials to my name. I don't think I'll ever become the medical professional I wanted to be or a police officer that was my back up plan. I'm only 21 and feeling pretty bleak about my future. I'm waging a lot of happiness on the fact that I hope when I lose weight I will be that much healthier...

Hey FF I was diagnosed when I was 18 I was struck down for a few years and had to drop out of my degree course in the first year I thought that was it, but 11 years later I've completed a 4 year masters at another uni and was 3 years into a phD when I got ill again it is very frustrating but I will get there, so don't give up just remember to give yourself plenty of time and as hard as it is don't put pressure on yourself it'll just make you more ill
I have no idea what CRP is though I'm afraid
Hope you get some answers soon x

I'm having a really hard day today have been really hungry and craving rubbish :( was starting to feel a bit down about it until I realised totm was looming then it all made sense :) trying so hard to be good but I'm struggling.
Had a relatively good day MEwise today managed to get a few small chores done which was good, got a friend visiting for the weekend tomorrow, she's not very well herself (depression) so it will be a quiet one hopefully :) no energy for anything really :)

hi carly,
hope todays better for you.i feel daft that i was so unhappy about it all yesterday.weighed myself today and ive gone down pound and a half.this thread definately helps ,just looking back and getting a kind word....ive got to keep going.leg is getting better,i take very strong pain killers for fibro pains so didnt get round to ibuprofen-i should have tho.
son is 17 and just not happy at the moment.got to talk to him about something else now-its getting me down.
its nice youve got a mate coming to stay,im sure you'll have a laugh.i'd suggest loads of summer fruits to nosh on and salads but the rain begs to differ.that bulgar wheat was ace ,i did a pasta one and green salad-it did fill me up,no room for a yog.
totm - poor you,i dont miss them for sure !
im going to risk a swim when i can brave the elements.
daisyxx

hello ff,
im daisy,ive got fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.my sister was also diagnosed with fibro just after me (2 yrs ago).she was just tested and has rheumatoid factor,i got a blood test and i didnt have it,tho i had vit d deficiency.i'd not heard of crp.do you have joint and muscle pains or is your illness more fatigue based ?
we are around the same weight,its got to be a help to get smaller.illness has a great deal to do with the weight gain.a women looked at me in a junk shop and said she liked eating and wouldnt it be nice to be slim,she was about 65 .i felt like saying "do you know,some days i cant even face a cup of tea and i can sleep for 18 hours straight and you cant eat then....but i didnt bother.
youre doing really well.
daisyxx

those feelings of your blood sugar level dipping are horrible :sigh:

Hiya all!
I have endometriosis and rheumatoid arthritis so have had 20 years of chronic pain and dealing with strong prescription painkillers... Makes me wanna comfort eat big time!
I joined this site yesterday and am doing SW at home. Good luck to all of us :wavey:

hello mumblesmolly,
i had endometriosis but had a hysterectomy at 38 because 2 huge tumours were found on my ovaries.i think the trauma of it all set off fibromyalgia\m.e.
you have my sympathy coping with your illnesses.it does make you want to eat all the most convenient foods,if you can call choc food ! did you have a sudden weight gain because of endo ? not that you weigh much ,now ive nearly doubled my weight over the last 20 years.
best wishes daisyxx

ff, im doing a degree by distance learning with the open college of the arts.mine is textile design but there are loads of other subjects to study.its perfect for anyone with long term illness.you can start by just signing up to one year and you dont need any formal qualifications .xx daisy

FaithFluro:

You can feel good about your future. Like you say, you're only 21! You can do anything you want. Your spirit is stronger than you realise. There has been some good examples already in this thread of people pursuing qualifications in spite of their illness. You can too!

I didn't become ill with CFS until after my degree, but I went on to commence legal training. I pushed through for 2 years before the illness finally made me come to a stop. This may sound like the worst thing that could possibly happen, but to be honest, I think my body was trying to get me to pay attention to it: I had ignored all previous warning signs, and when you don't answer the door the knocker only gets louder! It may not seem like it now, but the illness is giving you the opportunity to take stock of your life and find what you really want out of it. Most people don't get chance to do this as they are forever rushing around endlessly, but this is not possible when you are chronically ill.

For me, a realisation crept in that my heart wasn't in law and I was doing it for all of the wrong reasons. Now I am doing a distance learning training course for something that I love. (I read the books for it in bed at night; you wouldn't have caught me doing that with my law books unless I had insomnia!)

It might not be to do with your vocation, it could be to do with family relationships, your health, personal growth... But there is definitely something, if not several things, that this kind of illness can lead us to learn more about ourselves.

hello goforit,
i can relate to your observation of not listening to your body.i ignored mine for years and you're right my life totally changed because of illness.
its easy to focus on what its stopped me doing not what i'm actually achieving despite of it.
daisyxx

GoForIt said:
Hello, how is everyone doing?

I've started SW again as of yesterday!

I had a really bad few weeks put on nearly everything I lost but really hoping to start again on thurs :) how's your new start going?

hi girls, ive been struggling the last 2 weeks and have really let it go this week ,last night of it though tonight.im back on sw tomorrow(thurs),writing everything down.i can never seem to get more than around one stone off before cracking.
it takes so much concentration.
xx daisy

Hello lovelies! My new start is going ok, thanks. I don't want to get on the scales for at least 2 weeks though, as I dishearten easily. The good news is that I'd only put on a little more than I was when I started in January, if that. (My skinny hubby told me that the scales were wrong as he got on them and it was out by a few pounds (heavier), so he started weighing stuff on them that he knew the weight of... brand new they were too! Anyway, I digress.)

I started again on Monday and I have been on track with the EE plan since then. I'm proud to say that this is in spite of a very stressful week! I'm sure you're all familiar with what stress does with CFS/ME... so on top of that I have been harbouring a fear of relapse: Double whammy!

I'm starting to get cravings for a takeaway curry though. I'm not sure if it would be too early to start using Syns on full meals. I suppose if I had one third salad/veg and plain rice it could work... What does everybody else think/do?

I can completely relate to the bad spells. It's like food is the only thing you have to resort to when you're stuck at home with symptoms. Be kind to yourselves though: It's easier for people with a higher activity level (and better concentration!) but we can do this. You have both already proven that you can lose so just stay focused on that. I haven't lost anything yet so I don't know why I'm being so blooming positive, ha!

Back