Green Day Sweet Potato & Halloumi Burgers

Minders

Finding inspiration
I got this recipe from the "Love Food" booklet that came with the current issue of SW :)

SERVES 4 - 2.5 syns per serving

1lb/454g Sweet Potatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1lb/454g Onions
2 Mild Red Chilis
A small handful of fresh coriander
2oz/57g Halloumi Cheese
Salt & Freshly ground Black Pepper
Fry Light

1. Prepare the ingredients: peel and chop the sweet potatoes, crush the garlic, finely chop the onions, deseed and finely chop the chilis, chop the coriander, finely dice the halloumi cheese.

2. Boil the potatoes in water for 10-12 mins or until tender (I just microwaved it and scooped the potato out of the skin). Drain (if boiling) and mash the sweet potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Add the garlic, onions, chilis, coriander and halloumi cheese. Season well and stir to combine.

3. Divide the mixture into four portions, shape each into a burger and chill in the fridge for at least one hour to allow the burgers to firm up.

4. When ready to serve, heat a pan sprayed with Fry Light and cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes each side. Serve with a mixed salad or vegetable stir fry.

WOW, they sound amazing......2 of my favourite foods in one recipe!!
I'll definitely have a go at those!

I chopped the halloumi quite small and I must say, I felt it got a bit lost in the mix. I would make them again but I would make the halloumi pieces a bit bigger. And the garlic was a bit powerful. I really enjoy the squeaky texture of halloumi! :D

I'm not a big fan of sweet pots.. would regualr pots be okay as a sub? Or can anyone recommend another alternative? I love halloumi, and really want to try these! :D

Ok. Tried this yesterday. I had trouble getting the burgers to stay together as the mixture was all mushy. Once cooked they were ok, but mostly tasted of onion. Not sure I did it right!!! How did it turn out for others?

its cheese! Traditionally from greece/cyprus. I think it is made from goats milk. Usually you get grilled slices of it as a starter in greek style restaurants.....when you eat it, it squeaks in your mouth!!

i tried these ages ago from the mag and i didnt like them at all !!!
i love sweet pots, onion and garlic but the mix wasnt too good and im sure the halloumi put me off.

Back