Sweeteners....

alottolose

Gold Member
I currently use Canderel (Aspartame) and have noticed I'm getting more and more headaches/migraines (sometimes a couple per day)

I know some people on here use Splenda (Sucralose)

But I was wondering if anyone else had noticed an increase in headaches while using sweeteners?

or if anyone has ideas for a weightloss friendly sugar alternative aside from the Dukan hallowed Aspartame :) as I think it's really doing me no good (tbc - after I stop using it)....

So far I'm looking at Splenda/Stevia/Agave

but have no idea which are low fat/low cal/low carb

I only use sweeteners in baking/dukan porridge..so ideally it needs to be a substance which can be cooked with :)

thanks in advance xx

I use Splenda but mainly because it was in the cupboard and I only use about 2 or 3 tsps a week as I haven't got a very sweet tooth.
Dr Dukan seems to be a great fan of aspartame - maybe he has shares in it. I know I wouldn't want to use it!
Had a quick google at other sweeteners but there is so much info its confusing. Agave syrup is apparently 90% fructose so I guess that is one to avoid!

Hi I've been using splenda since before Dukan so I carried on, about 2-3 tabs a day in hot drinks. And other (aspartame etc - based) sweeteners before then. Personally I have never had any side effects but we're all different. Hope you can work your problems out!

There is another 'natural' plant-extract sweetener called Xylitol (sp) that I read about recently, though it does have *some* calories so I suspect these are carbs?... I hear Stevia can have a 'taste' - and I think it is not licensed for consumption in the UK? Sorry I'm not helpful as usual but I suggest you goggle for both and make up your own mind.

I had a lot of headaches before going on Dukan and they lasted days, I have always been a 'headachey' person though. I have been using Tesco cheapo table top aspartame based sweetener and havent had headaches for a while. Not saying its sweetener based or even diet orientated.
Some people think its the work of the devil lol, I personally have no problems at all with it

I use a liquid one for baking (so not often) called Sucandine (had never heard of it before, but it has a mesuring cap so easy for quantities - I didn't want powder and that's the only liquid one I could find) and candarel tablets for yogurt. Not had a problem with either. I cook the porridge without sweetner then dilute candarel tablets in a little milk then mix it in.

Maybe it's dehydration if you're not drinking enough? I get really thirsty, especially on PP days, and probably have 2 litres water minimum plus tea and coffee throughout the day.

Hope the headaches stop soon.

Hi Robinhood - I'm a newbie and wondering if you can tell me where you get sucandine from - I've noticed a few recipes call for liquid sweetener but I'm having trouble finding one - or if anyone else can help?

Hi and welcome KatieK!

I'm in France, so may just be a French thing (got it in the supermarket here, didn't know liquid sweetners existed previously).

I'd try Boots. I used to get lots of diabetic-friendly (low-carb, sugar-free) things in there for my Mum:D. If they don't have any, the pharmacist would be able to advise - they've always been really helpful.

Oops, forgot to say, if you can't get liquid it doesn't matter as the granulated stuff melts down quite well (my Mum has been using it for years).

am in London

so any advice from UK based people would be hugely useful ... have heard stevia is good but not sure whether/where it's available here?

Hi Katie,

well as I said above, Stevia is not licensed so you'll have to find it online - there are UK suppliers who can supply it (semi-legally). It needs a bit of adjusting your cooking methods I think - at least there are several Cookbooks based entirely around Stevia, I stumbled across them on Amazon.

Other mainstream stuff, any big supermarket has the granulate stuff, even own-brand (Tesco definitely do) - usually aspartame based and sucralose based varieties which are both heat-resistant so can be used in cooking / baking.

The liquid I have never seen here, but I haven't looked either. I think that's a hang-over from when they had not yet sussed how to make the granulated varieties.

I've never heard of aspartame causing headaches... I'd look at liquid intake personally... or something else?

I drink like a fish Jo :) tea, coffee, water

I've since cut back on the aspartame and the headaches have subsided quite a bit, it's the only thing I've changed so I think I'll watch my aspartame intake in future :)

definitely... maybe you're sensitive to it... I don't tend to bake sweet things except flans so only have it in them...

It's funny because just after I'd posted my last reply I read another Dukan-related review in the DM I think and in the comments section someone mentioned the aspartame - headaches link too, so there might well be something to it.

A quick google reveals articles on healthy living sites
Aspartame consumption strongly associated with migraines and seizures
but there also seems to be medical research - this is a summary of 3 medical trials:
Aspartame and headache [May 2005; 135-5]
which says there is no definite answer but:
"The answer seems to be that there is no completely satisfactory answer. On the basis of what we have, it is probably fair to say that if aspartame is a triggering factor for headache, it probably affects migraine, rather than other forms of headache. In addition, it is unlikely that it precipitates acute attacks, but perhaps prolonged exposure might cause more frequent headaches."

I use that at the moment and I lost 6.2lb last week on cruise..... :) doesn't seem to have harmed me regards weightloss(aside from some query headaches)... average about 2 tbsp per day x

Thanks Alottolose! I had a quick scout of the sweeteners in Sainsburys today but couldn't find an all-aspartame sweetener so went with the Canderel as Splenda was 'sucralose'. Gosh there seems to be so much to learn and understand about this diet! :/ I am sure I read a lot in the past about aspartame being bad too!

yeah it's an iffy one...best to stick to as low an amount as you can cope with while on the diet...fill in your details on your user control panel...gives us a chance to see where you're at :)

If you're asthmatic keep an eye on that too as it can increase symptoms...

Anja dug up some infos in this post about aspartame x

Back