Swimming!

I did have a little go at backstroke but I don't like the sensation of having my ears underwater! 'Cause I can hear myself breathing and I get self conscious. But I will give it another go! Breaststroke is definitely my default stroke.

I know what you mean- both about the lifeguard and the lower-back!

Luckily I'm shortsighted. I take my glasses off, and can't see where the lifeguard is looking! That solved that problem!

As for the lower back, as I've got fitter that's got a bit better. I also went to YouTube and looked up videos on proper form when swimming, that's definitely helped my front crawl. I used to just flap my legs around as fast as possible! I've learned how to kick properly and more slowly now.

Don't worry about your chin (or more of your face) dipping in the water. It's better than straining your neck and back trying to keep your head up.

I actually asked an older female life guard if I was doing the breast stroke correctly, she watched me and then gave me some tips, I wasn't straightening my legs out far or long enough and I was having the lower back pain aswell but now I'm fine, no pain and I can feel my legs getting a proper work out :)

I will definitely look up some videos on breaststroke (and others) technique, and I will try extending my legs more tomorrow when I go. It's a shame because every time I find an enjoyable form of exercise, I have some kind of ache or pain. My endurance seems fine.

Well this week's swim went really well, no lower back pain! I'm actually loving it and looking forward to going again.

That's great!! I'm going tomorrow, hopefully won't be to busy, quite annoying when your trying to do lengths and your having to dodge people :S lol

The Welsh Government in its wisdom offers free swimming to all children and teens between 10am and 4pm in the summer hols. As you can imagine, swimming at the moment is a nightmare. I'm just not capable of getting up early, and dislike going in the evening because....how do I put this? The kids have had all day to add to the volume of liquid in the pool, if you know what I mean. Swam past a great gob of mucus the other day. Not pleasant.

I'm going because I don't want to give up, but it's not very enjoyable right now.

Yuck I can imagine. I read about the free swims for welsh residents too, unfortunately I'm in the wrong age bracket. But oh well, I go as late as I possibly can to avoid everyone!

Me and my niece went about 1:00ish today and it was empty! lol I managed to do 15 lengths and then it got really busy, the next 15 lengths were a constant dodging of splashing children lol oh well lol I used to go adults only but now my neices and nephew want to join me while they're off which is nice :) (they are 14, 16 and 17) :D

It is nice to have company, I think my bf and a mutual friend will be joining me next time which should be nice! I'm itching to go again lol, I love it.

The strange thing is that the last two times I've been I haven't ached or anything the next day. Should I? The first time I went I ached. Does this mean I'm not putting enough effort in, or am I just a tiny bit fitter? Lol!

I hate getting out of the pool though. It's as though you forget how much you weigh, I almost fall over each time!

LOL I know exactly what you mean! :D It's like gravity just hits you! lol I'm not quite sure if your supposed to still be aching :S I guess it's a good thing that your not now, work those muscles!! lol :D
Can I ask a question to everyone? What shampoo do you all use afterwards? I used to use my normal strawberrys and cream shampoo and conditioner which did my hair lovely afterwards but I go 2x a week and now it doesn't seem to be having any effect on my hair for some reason! :( It's going awful! :( I've heard of 'swimmers shampoo' specially designed stuff to get the chlorine out but have no idea what's called, which company does it or where it's sold :S

At the moment I'm using pantene aqua light. It's supposed to be good for clearing out any product so I thought it'd be good for chlorine as well!
I also use herbal essences beautiful ends so my ends don't get dry and break!

i love to swim I rnjoy just turning off my brain and going up and down. ]Belong to a gym so pool not too busy but have to gib=ve it up end of sept as it too much for what i use. now i going to try and walk a lot more.want to walk around the block every other night to start with and then build it up!

I use the boots swim and gym shampoo and conditioners. They also have a hair mask to put on before you go. Seems to of done the trick for me so far. (I have thick curly hair)

Heel spur spurring me on!

I use the boots swim and gym shampoo and conditioners. They also have a hair mask to put on before you go.
I agree, I used to use these products when I went swimming too and I have fine wavy hair which goes very fizzy with other shampoos. Boots often have a 3 for 2 offer on which means you can try one type of product for free.

I'll be returning to swimming when the new term starts as it is the only form of fat burning exercise my GP says I can do now I've been diagnosed with a heel spur on my left heel. It is a real incentive to lose weight as the heavier you are, the more painful it is to walk. Does anyone out there suffer from a heel spur and have any tips re exercise, particularly swimming?

I use the boots swim and gym shampoo and conditioners. They also have a hair mask to put on before you go. Seems to of done the trick for me so far. (I have thick curly hair)

Yeah I use the boots one too and I go between 4-6 times a week depending on how stressed I am that week/events I'm training for. I also make my own hair mask twice a week by mashing together 1/2 ripe banana, 1/2 ripe avocado, 1/2-1 cup of olive oil and some vitamin e oil. Splash it on my hair, wrap in clingfilm and a hot towel and then leave for 20-30 mins before rinsing out with a mild shampoo. Though I find the boots shampoo sand conditioners brilliant for washing out chlorine, they're not so good for making my hair nice n shiny =(.

I loooooooooooooove swimming! I'm so glad this thread is here because sometimes I think people neglect swimming for running =( but that's just me, because I HATE running. My first memory is when I was swimming with my mum aged about 2 (obv, not swimming properly, but like at least being in the water). Now I'm at my happiest when I'm in water - not just a swimming pool but also the sea, lakes, rivers. In fact, I plan to swim in Loch Ness next year when I go to Scotland. =)

Also, I have a training plan here for building up endurance:
0to1650

I'll be returning to swimming when the new term starts as it is the only form of fat burning exercise my GP says I can do now I've been diagnosed with a heel spur on my left heel. It is a real incentive to lose weight as the heavier you are, the more painful it is to walk. Does anyone out there suffer from a heel spur and have any tips re exercise, particularly swimming?

Hiya, I've had a heel spur along with plantar fasciitis. I feel your pain! I went swimming and managed to cycle (at the gym). However after 12 months it was no better so i had to have an operation on them both and "touch wood" have been ok since. Can your GP refer you to a physio? Mine did and he gave me specific advice on stretching, treatment etc.

Hope you feel better soon...

I'd just like to say I am soo happy, after losing a stone in about a month, my swimming costume is now baggy! (Mainly on top) lol I go swimming twice a week and yesterday my husband looked at me as I was getting ready and he just said 'you can't wear that! It's too baggy, you might 'pop out' LOL I never really noticed before, I pulled it up and fiddled as much as I could to help the baggyness and went, then in the pool my mum and sister looked at me and said the exact same thing! 'My god that's baggy on you!' lol Quite happy about it really but on the other hand it means I need to buy a new swim suit with hardly any spare cash :s Ebay it is I think lol :D

Back