Swimming!

That's great! A nice non scale victory! Would it be possible to tie a knot in the straps at the back to hold you in until you buy a new costume?
I just bought a swimdress on eBay. It's from china I think, so probably won't be here for a couple of weeks! Nothing wrong with my tankini really, just that the top and bottom parts come apart easily, don't want my stomach sticking out!

I reeeeeeeeeeeeally want to start swimming, theres a pool about 5 mins from my house but i just can't seem to make my 300lb+ self go. I'm thinking about trying to find some shorts but i'm still not overly confident. I was thinking about joining a gym a little further away that has a newer (cleaner) pool

I need to get back into swimming. I might start going on Friday's after work, depending on how busy it is. When I went at my height of WW I tried to do 30 lengths in 30 mins (I get bored after half an hour) so when I go back next week I'm going to aim to do 20.

My hair seems to be going dry and damaged now :S gonna have to look for a good hair mask I think!
Pool was cold on Thursday though :( how do they control the temperature? Can they turn the heat up if I ask? :D

Not sure re: heating the pool - you might as well ask though! Well this thread inspired me to get back in the pool. I got to the gym with 25 mins to spare before it closed so I managed 18 lengths + 2 cool down. After length 4 my heart rate was racing! I'll deffo have to go back again.

I love swimming too! Finally I found a very nice pool close to work, so I am now doing a quick swim (about half an hour, 45 mins) daily, in my lunch break
I find it hard to alternate styles though, because I can't really wet my hair or wear a swimming cap, I still need to go back to work afterwards rather quickly, no time for long blow-dry..

I got my swimdress today! I love it but it does float about a bit while swimming lol, I think they are for poolside rather than actual swimming! Ah well. I would recommend one!

-hair mask is great to put on before swimming to minimize damage from chlorine.

-the swim dress should be just like a costume but with a skirt bit around the bottom so I shouldn't come up while swimming.

-happy swimming people (I havent been for weeks, slap on the wrist lol)

I love to swim, I am aiming to swim 40 lengths 2-3 times a week

I don't really count laps, I just go for an hour (or longer depending what time I get in or if I need to get out to wee lol)

The skirty bit on my swimdress is what comes up when I go in the water... It tries to float :)

I love swimming, so much nicer then huffing and puffing in the gym and going bright red.

I will be going early doors tomorrow and then aqua aerobics in the pm!

ooh swimming thread! Weeee!

So, I've finally rejoined my gym after a loooong period of not shifting the original lapse's weight gain. I LOVE swimming since school and missed going during the 'lapse'... have now been twice and it's great. Apart from my poor frazzled hair!!

How far lengthwise are you all swimming/should I be swimming? Is there anything wrong with going everyday?

Also, my technique sucks - do you think there are any adult un-patronising swimming lessons available anywhere?

And last but not least... can someone point me in the direction of a swimming challenge or might like to join one at some point? Any motivation is good motivation, right?

Miss J xx

I would definitely think that there will be adult swimming lessons around. I've seen them advertised at my pool and I've also seen 2 ladies, 1 teaching the other, so maybe you could find private lessons?

I don't count lengths for some reason. I just like to swim and have a good think!

It's been really good reading this thread - I was recommended to go swimming as I have a bad back - no breaststroke though! I also can't bare having my face in the water - lol - so that left me with backstroke! To avoid getting water in my ears which I also had I wear a swimming hat. My hairdresser recommended always throughly wetting your hair before going in the pool - and wearing a hat even better - to help protect your hair - mine went lank and horrible after just two weeks - been fine since and been going couple times a week for at least six months now. Not yet up beyond 20 lengths in 25-30 mins though!

I didn't realise wetting your hair beforehand could help protect it! Thanks for the tip! :)

My hair thoroughly recovered within a week - if you go regularly I would definitely recommend it - and if you can put up with wearing a swimming cap as well - even better. I felt ridiculous wearing one to begin with - but soon realised most of the regular swimmers wear them.

I need to shift the weight and at the end of my workouts I'm going to do 10 lengths as a cooldown, and increase this as time goes on I hope :)

Back