Syn Advice Please?

Lady Mhoram

I'm just entering week 6 of doing SW and apart from a big loss in week 1 have been consitenly having small losses, usually 1lb. I am happy to loose 1lb a week as long as it keeps happening, meaning I will hit target by Christmas. However, I would obviously want to increase my losses if at all possible and would be over the moon with loosing 2lbs a week.

Since I started the diet I set myself a limit of 7 syns. I thought this was sensible to achieve the loss I wanted (I have about 1.5 stone to go) but a friend has suggested that increasing my syns to 15 could help increse my losses. Is this true?

Do you guys suggest I increase my syns?

I have four options;

1) Increase my syns to 15 and work down
2) Increae my syns a smaller amount, say to 10
3) Leave them as they are since I've been having losses
4) Decrease them to the minimum 5

I am leaning towards doing 2 for a week and seeing what happens.

Hi Huni...now Im not really the best person to get advice with regarding the syn allowance, as I only have between 0 and 6 a day. I dont feel that I want anything more than I am eating and so I dont use them.
Do you keep a diary? Are you eating the same food all the time? If you dont vary what you eat, you wont loose weight as effectively as your body is used to processing the same foods.
Have you tried varying your days? How many Red and Green do you have, or are you on EE or SS? Try switching plans, or if eating more Green than Red days, up the red or vise versa.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Kerry-Ann
xx

You can have between 5 and 15 syns a day so it is up to you how many you use. However if you start too low when you do reach a plateau you will have nothing to cut back on. Have you tried eating lots of free foods and mixing up your food so you aren't eating the same things all the time?
You have done great so far and aren't that far away from Target so your body may just take longer. I had 6 stone to lose from the start and my average weekly weight loss is 1.5lbs a week so not much different from you. Xmas will be here in no time and think how fab you will feel at Target. Good luck and keep plugging away :)

they tell you to have all the syns as when you get near your goal weight or if you stop losing then you lower your syns

Hi Huni...now Im not really the best person to get advice with regarding the syn allowance, as I only have between 0 and 6 a day. I dont feel that I want anything more than I am eating and so I dont use them.
Do you keep a diary? Are you eating the same food all the time? If you dont vary what you eat, you wont loose weight as effectively as your body is used to processing the same foods.
Have you tried varying your days? How many Red and Green do you have, or are you on EE or SS? Try switching plans, or if eating more Green than Red days, up the red or vise versa.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Kerry-Ann
xx

Hi Kerry-Ann,

I follow the Mix 2 Match plan on most days as it gives me most fleaxability, but I try to vary my meal and their colours as much as possible. I do have green and red days every now and the. I keep a food diary on here and write down everything I eat.

You can have between 5 and 15 syns a day so it is up to you how many you use.

Do you think I would gain weight is I suddenly started having 10 syns? Would it make a difference if I had the odd day higher, so increasing my weekly total?

Thaks for the help :)

The SW advice is to have between 5-15 syns a day.....they advise that you eat all your syns (15), because as you lose weight you may reach a plateau, and then reducing your daily syns will start your body losing again, if you have not been eating your 'proper' daily syn allowance, then you have nothing to reduce to start you off losing again.

So it is advisable for you to eat more syns every day in the long run.

I hope I have explained this OK for you, good luck with your continuing weight loss. X

The SW advice is to have between 5-15 syns a day.....they advise that you eat all your syns (15), because as you lose weight you may reach a plateau, and then reducing your daily syns will start your body losing again, if you have not been eating your 'proper' daily syn allowance, then you have nothing to reduce to start you off losing again.

So it is advisable for you to eat more syns every day in the long run.

I hope I have explained this OK for you, good luck with your continuing weight loss. X

Thanks Donnie :) This is kind of what my friend was saying, but I wonder if increasing now I've done 5 weeks on 7 syns would confuse my body even more and result in a gain, so I'm not sure if I should increase them or just leave them as they are.

Am thinking of going up to 10 and seeing what happens?:confused:

I was using 10 a day for the first 4 weeks, then our leader told us that she had 15 all the way to goal! I increased to 105 a week and it hasn't slowed me down at all. When I used to limit my syns when I did it before my weightlosses slowed down. You must have all your hea's and b's too.

I think I'll go up to ten this week and next and see what happens. It should be star week this week, so that may confuse the issue for the first week. Then if I still carry on loosing at the same rate I might think about going up to 15 for a week and seeing what happens. I'd love to have a week now and then where I lost 2lb!

Thanks for the advice :)

i vary my syns, depending on what i fancy. Some days i have 6, others 15. I don't think increasing them will make a difference to your weight loss try it one week and see.

i vary my syns, depending on what i fancy. Some days i have 6, others 15. I don't think increasing them will make a difference to your weight loss try it one week and see.

Thanks Chuffy, I think I'll do that. I'm going to up it to ten for 2 weeks and see if it makes any difference. I'll let you all know how I get on :)

A very interesting thread, I've been having 7 syns and have wondered the same thing. I'm being a bit less strict with myself this week. *fingers crossed*

Before getting to target, I had a few very stubborn pounds that weren't budging! I decided to cut back my syns to around 5 per day. I did this for two weeks and both weeks I gained! Since then I have upped my syns to an average of 11 syns per day or 77 per week.

After upping my syns again, I managed to lose those stubborn pounds. I found that I had to mix up Red, Green, Mix2Max and EE in order to lose. I also included lots of speed foods every day.

HTH xx

The only thing to do is trying upping your syns and see what happens. If worse comes to worse and you have a small gain , it's not the end of the world as you can reduce them again and it'll come back off.

I joined SW when most people were advised to have 10 syns (or sins as it was then) a day. Even with 7 stone to lose I was on 10 a day, and that's what I stick with even now. But 15 seems to work for lots of people so I think it's about finding out what suits your body and lifestyle.

Back