SYN FREE BBQ SAUCE

It is one of my fave recipes too. Like it with chicken breasts and syn free wedges on a red day, yummy!

Hi does anybody know if it's ok to cook chicken in the entire lot of bbq sauce in the oven like a casserole rather than just basting or marinating? I know sometimes sauces that contain sweeteners can curdle a bit if cooked too long and really want to know before I go ahead and do it! Thanks :confused:

seashellslim said:
Hi does anybody know if it's ok to cook chicken in the entire lot of bbq sauce in the oven like a casserole rather than just basting or marinating? I know sometimes sauces that contain sweeteners can curdle a bit if cooked too long and really want to know before I go ahead and do it! Thanks :confused:

I don't see why not, not that much sweetener in it so should be ok x

I usually cook the chicken first as I am proper fussy about chicken being cooked through. I make the sauce on the hob, then the last few mins pour it over the chicken in the oven and leave it for a few mins, then serve. The sauce is perfect.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned on this thread or not, but I thought I'd post this anyway as I can't be bothered searching through the 10 pages to see :D

This BBQ sauce isn't syn free, unless I'm missing something (and please tell me if I am :D )

The syns come from the balsamic vinegar, the lowest synned balsamic vinegar I can find is Tesco's Light Choices, at half a syn per tbsp, which would make 2 syns for the batch of sauce.

I know it's no biggie, but I made a batch last night to have with hunters chicken tonight (which was delicious BTW) and I found I had to use half the portion as the sauce had thickened, which would be one syn (if you use the Light Choices Balsamic)

I had used the Tesco's finest balsamic, which is 1 syn per tbsp, making 2 syns for the portion, and a total of 4 syns for the batch.

Again, I know it's not a biggie, and it's an absolutely delicious sauce for low syns, but from what I can see the syns are there, so I thought I'd give it a mention. x

had this tonight with chicken, peppers, mushrooms and onions all served with brown rice. completely syn free on EE! it was delicious! :D xx

oooh i didn't realise balsamic vinegar was synned!!

lolacola said:
Not sure if this has already been mentioned on this thread or not, but I thought I'd post this anyway as I can't be bothered searching through the 10 pages to see :D

This BBQ sauce isn't syn free, unless I'm missing something (and please tell me if I am :D )

The syns come from the balsamic vinegar, the lowest synned balsamic vinegar I can find is Tesco's Light Choices, at half a syn per tbsp, which would make 2 syns for the batch of sauce.

I know it's no biggie, but I made a batch last night to have with hunters chicken tonight (which was delicious BTW) and I found I had to use half the portion as the sauce had thickened, which would be one syn (if you use the Light Choices Balsamic)

I had used the Tesco's finest balsamic, which is 1 syn per tbsp, making 2 syns for the portion, and a total of 4 syns for the batch.

Again, I know it's not a biggie, and it's an absolutely delicious sauce for low syns, but from what I can see the syns are there, so I thought I'd give it a mention. x

I'm sorry but you are wrong-all vinegars are free, balsamic would have syns in if it was a balsamic dressing-which are what you have listed in your post! Therefore the BBQ is free as it always has been :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm sorry but you are wrong-all vinegars are free, balsamic would have syns in if it was a balsamic dressing-which are what you have listed in your post! Therefore the BBQ is free as it always has been :)

Ah right perfect, that's why I appealed or corrections, I found it hard to believe that the recipe had been out for so long and no-one had noticed it so thought I'd ask - I'd just seen 'balsamic' and thought it was the right thing - I'll make sure I get the right ingredient next time - just wanted to mention just in case :)

lolacola said:
Ah right perfect, that's why I appealed or corrections, I found it hard to believe that the recipe had been out for so long and no-one had noticed it so thought I'd ask - I'd just seen 'balsamic' and thought it was the right thing - I'll make sure I get the right ingredient next time - just wanted to mention just in case :)

TiS cool :) all vinegars are free and balsamic dressing is anywhere for 1/2 to 3 syns a tbsp :) good call tho, can never be too sure :)

oh wow, I have just made this for the first time, thank you so much for this recipe, I think my chilli powder is a little on the hot side so may half the quantity of that next time but this is fab:D

I thought it tasted like mcdonalds burger sauce so I'm going to miss out the mustard powder next time! X

Yes must admit it is one of my faves. And indeed balsamic vinegar is free, as are all vinegars I think. How lovely would it taste with a rack of ribs, but I suppose they wouldnt be free, oh mouth watering just thinking about that! Yum

Seen thus recipie at the weekend and have been desperate to make it since! Just made it and it was fab! My husband even asked for seconds! Thanks to the OP X

madhousemum said:
BBQ sauce recipe

you will need
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp mild chilli powder
227ml/8fl oz passata
3 tbsp artifical sweetner
4 tbsp balsamaic vinegar
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt and freshly ground blacke pepper.

balslmic vingar and worchestershire sauce provide the basis for this great tasting bbq sauce thsat is perfect for a dip, basting a chicken thighs or vegetable kebabs before a bbq, lady who gave me this recipe said she has them on spare ribs and cooks them in the oven so she has bbq spare ribs.

spray a pan with fry light and saute the onion and chilli powder over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.

stir in the remaining ingrredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes untill thickened. check the seasoning before serving hot or cold.

syn free on both days ready in 20 minutes serves 4 and freezer friendly.

Will definitely be making this! Thank u! X

BBQ sauce recipe

you will need
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp mild chilli powder
227ml/8fl oz passata
3 tbsp artifical sweetner
4 tbsp balsamaic vinegar
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt and freshly ground blacke pepper.

balslmic vingar and worchestershire sauce provide the basis for this great tasting bbq sauce thsat is perfect for a dip, basting a chicken thighs or vegetable kebabs before a bbq, lady who gave me this recipe said she has them on spare ribs and cooks them in the oven so she has bbq spare ribs.

spray a pan with fry light and saute the onion and chilli powder over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.

stir in the remaining ingrredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes untill thickened. check the seasoning before serving hot or cold.

syn free on both days ready in 20 minutes serves 4 and freezer friendly.
This is an amazing recipie:):):)

Back