SYN FREE BBQ SAUCE

Made this in the week it is lush, had it with chicken wrapped in parma ham poured the sauce over and topped with cheese. x

Yummy is the only word to describe this recipe! Just made hunters chicken and it was to die for... and all syn free!

I tried this the other week and it was lovely, i had it on chicken toppped with cheese and bacon (hunters chicken) it was so yummy.

I made this at the weekend just to taste it in preparation to have with a meal this week( Hunter Chicken) however I must be going wrong somewhere because surely my husband and I cant be the only ones that dont like this sauce?? We both found it terribly terribly sweet is it really 3 TABLESPOONS of Sweetner and not 3 Teaspoon? I am going to try this again once I get myself some more ingrediants, because both my hubby and I have a sweet tooth but this recipe was far to sweet for us to eat, it was more like honey with an acidic kick in the back of your throat!!!

I only use 1 tablespoon of sweetener, seems to be enough :)

Also it seems to taste nicer once it's been cooked again with the chicken.

I only use 1 tablespoon of sweetener, seems to be enough :)

Also it seems to taste nicer once it's been cooked again with the chicken.

Yes thats exactly what i was thinking of doing next time around, or maybe add it in at the end gradually and keep tasting it until i get the sweetness that we like.:)

Here is a recipe using the BBQ sauce.

Pete’s Cowboy Sausage & Beans
Hot & Spicy!

Serves 4
½ Syn per person

Ingredients

4 Sainsbury’s Low Fat Cumberland Sausages
1 Tin Baked Beans
1 Tin Cannellini Beans
1 Tin Borlotti Beans
4 Slices Smoked Bacon, (all fat removed)
1 Jar of Passata
1 Medium Onion
1 Tsp Mixed Herbs

*Home Made BBQ sauce*

Method

Cut and brown the onion in a pan sprayed in Fry Light, cook the sausage & Bacon until browned, remove the sausages and cut into 16 pieces. Cut the bacon into small pieces.

Place the onion, sausage & bacon in a deep heavy based pot, add the Passata, the drained Beans, herbs and cook for 5 mins,

Add 3 Tbsp. BBQ sauce, cook, covered with a lid, for at least 30 mins until the sauce thickens stirring to ensure that all ingredients are coated with the sauce.

Serve with Home Made chips and or Salad.

*Recipe for the BBQ sauce*

Onion peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp. mild chilli powder
227ml/8fl oz. passata
3 tbsp. artificial sweetener
4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. mustard powder

Method

Spray a pan with fry light and sauté the onion and chilli powder over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.

Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Blitz with a hand blender for a finer mix.

Attachments

• BBQ Sauce.JPG
    BBQ Sauce.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Cowboys sausage & Beans (Large).JPG
    Cowboys sausage & Beans (Large).JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 156
Perfect ;-)

I have just made this and it is absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing it. I made a double batch and reduced it down for about 25 mins to get a thicker consistency. Is it still syn free when it's been reduced down more? I am going to grate in a little horseradish when I make it again. It's growing wild in my garden and I love the taste of it. If you haven't given this recipe a go yet then do. It's delicious :)

I made this at the weekend just to taste it in preparation to have with a meal this week( Hunter Chicken) however I must be going wrong somewhere because surely my husband and I cant be the only ones that dont like this sauce?? We both found it terribly terribly sweet is it really 3 TABLESPOONS of Sweetner and not 3 Teaspoon? I am going to try this again once I get myself some more ingrediants, because both my hubby and I have a sweet tooth but this recipe was far to sweet for us to eat, it was more like honey with an acidic kick in the back of your throat!!!

I once made it without any sweetner because I forgot to put it in lol It was lovely as well

xxx

Instead of the chilli powder I use crushed chillies. I dont like cumin and thats in chilli powder so I just adapted the recipe slightly for my own personal taste. And I put loads in as I like it hot! Having it tonight for tea over chicken breast, syn free wedges, and mushrooms on a red day! Wedges are an HEB. Cant wait. Yum

I made this to go with spaghetti and meatballs and it was delicious when i tasted it while it was cooking. I left tea and went out for a few hours to return to find the whole batch had been scoffed by the fam, i made double as well!!!

You could do so many things with it as well, TY!!!

xx

I'm very excited by this - once I get paid and can afford to buy more food (not just use up what's in the cupboard) I'll definitely be trying this with a hunter's chicken!

Thanks

Had this last night. My man did chicken breasts stuffed with cheese and garlic, serve with stir fry veg and mash and I defrosted a portion of BBQ sauce to top the chicken :) nom nom nom xx

Last edited:
Gonna try this tomorrow - And serving suggestion above sounds delicious!!

Just made some of this but doubled the quantities cos my passata is 500ml. i used wholegrain mustard instead of powder because i didnt have any but wow.. it tastes amazing.. need to blitz it once it cools down then will put it over some chicken i have to cook

Haha just saw this. Must have done it on my phone. Haha. Bot made this yet. I have brought everything for it. Will male it his weekend I think x

Back