Syn Free Chicken Biryani

Barsi

Cooked this last night and it was fab, so I thought i'd share it ;) its a recipe that I made up after Sainsburys didn't have a Biryani Flavourfuls mix!!

This is what I used:
3 chicken breasts
2 peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 chilli
8oz basmati rice (rinsed)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 pint water
Frozen peas (didn't measure - just chucked in!!)
2 - 3 tsp cumin
1tsp medium curry powder
1tsp cinnimon
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp crushed chillies (for extra heat - optional!)
2 tsp corriander leaf

Finely chop garlic and chilli and lightly fry in a pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 mins.
Add chicken and all the spices. Fry for 7-8 mins.
Add peppers, tinned tomatoes, water and rice. Bring to the boil. Simmer for about 15 mins until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been evaporated. Add peas and cook for the last 2 mins :) xx
(I sprinkled a bit more cumin and corriander in whilst it was cooking cos it started looking a bit "red" from the tomatoes rather than like a curry!! Also, if you can get fresh corriander to sprinkle in top once its served up, it will add a bit of extra something)

I have a quorn version on the hob as we speak - let's hope the fact that I accidentally added a heaped tsp of hot chilli powder instead of curry powder won't make it in edible! I'll just need to add loads of yoghurt if it's too hot.

Awww, thanks for the lovely feedback - hope you all enjoy it as much as me and hubs did :D

I had left overs for lunch yesterday with some salad and I enjoyed it just as much!!

Sounds lush :) I think I will have to give this a go this week. Thanks for sharing xxx

mmm sounds yummy x

Hehe!!! Didn't this from a cook book - went shopping for a Schwartz Flavourfuls biryani mix, but sainsburys didn't have one, so though i'd just try and chuck something together at home. I googled biryani spices, and found that I had everything I needed and made it from that :) xx

I make a dinner a bit like this and at the end i add a bit of yoghurt, an asian girl i work withs mum does this for her lunch and it makes it a bit more comfort foody like!

Barsi
Made this for tea this evening; it was delicious. It got top marks from our household and that isn't something that happens very often!!

i have some left over so i going to try and see if it is freezeable. i hope it is.

Just made this tonight...amazing! X

Thank you for the recipe. I am going to try it tonight but I want to use up some leftover roast chicken. I think it will work (well I hope ;)).

Back