Syn Free Gravy!!

Did this last night using 1/2 pot of knorr rich beef stock and water with 4 teaspoons of smash... fair play, it was amazing with my linda mccartney sausages and peas..
Guess I'm living on this now haha :)

My consultant has told me using instant mash as a thickener has to be classed as syns due to it not being used for its right purpose :/

How weird is that!? You would think that if you are eating the same this - no matter how you are eating it - that it would have the same number of syns, or not as the case may be. I think this gravy sounds lovely and was just thinking of trying it. I usually use an oxo cube and thicken with a little bit of cornflour but have no idea how many syns this would be either - any ideas?

I wonder if you could thicken with just normal potato?

Just had this with my roast dinner. It's amazing!! And as for the smash I'm not synning it as for the amount you use it's barely worth it!
This is definitely going to be a staple with my Sunday roast, soooo much nicer than watery bisto!

We were told to syn the smash when using it for gravy so now I just take a potato from my plate and mash it in the stock. I do Green days so don't have to count my mashed potatoes.

so if I make the smash, and make the stock up separate that's syn free, but as soon as they touch eachother I have to syn it?
God help the logic there.. so how many syns shoudl I count? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance xx

I was just about to make some Smash gravy as our consultant was singing its praises this week and telling us it was completely syn free. The conflicting advice is sometimes really confusing.

I find mashed swede helps thicken gravy and it's free :)

You can save your potato water after you drain your spuds and boil to reduce it down. It will become thick and starchy. Add (fat removed) meat juice, marmite (or stock, cube or bovril), fried onions (or boil onions in a small amount of water and then blitz and add this in), herbs and seasoning. Proper gravy and syn free. I make too much and freeze leftovers.

How do you measure this out is it 2 oxo cubes cubes 300ml water then a lump of swede?

If I am doing a casserole I cook the meat and veg as usual, Mash the swede and stir it into the gravy then leave it in the oven to finish cooking. Hope this helps :)

Back