syn free rice pudding - YUM

This is a thick question, but do you boil the rice in milk or water? My granny boils hers in milk so have got myself all mixed up now!

Can't wait to try it, curled up on the sofa with a huge mug of tea

You boil it in the milk, if you are using milk. x

Last edited:
Rice Pudding!

It's soooo simple! 5 1/2 syns per portion on green or free if you use the milk as a healthy extra.

Serves 2 people

3/4 pint of semi-skimmed milk
3oz of pudding rice
2 tbsp splenda
3 drops of vanilla extract/flavouring

1. Bring the milk to the boil in a pan and then add the rice, reduce the heat to a simmer for around 20 minutes stirring often so it doesn't stick or burn, but not too much.

2. Near the end, stir it more often to break down the starch in the rice and to help it thicken. It's ready when it's nice and thick and the rice is tender.

3. Stir in the splenda and vanilla and serve! (Optional dollop of jam or honey - both 1 syn)

I made this, took me a little longer as I didn't bring the milk to the boil and over stirred at first. Just used a little water to un-thicken and by the time the rice was tender, mixed in the splenda and vanilla and was YUMMY

Splenda was the better to use as it didn't leave a nasty aftertaste.

Id love to make this but I cannot get pudding rice for love nor money around here. Is there an alternative that would work? Thanks

i just get my pudding rice in tecos.
IDShot_225x225.jpg

(Its normally in the tinned fruit and custard, meringue nest, jelly sachet isle in my tescos)
Think you could use a rissoto rice to ( arborio i think it is) just a short grain rice

Id love to make this but I cannot get pudding rice for love nor money around here. Is there an alternative that would work? Thanks

It is freely available in all the supermarkets and as said may be in the dessert aisle rather than the rice aisle but at a push any short grain rice will work eg risotto or paella rice

Now folks do you wanna make this syn free?

1 cup rice
3 cups water
Sweetner

Put into a pan and let it simmer for about 20mins until all the water is absorbed

Add sweetner to taste

To make this more like luxury, stir in fat free yogurt any flavour

This makes alot but will keep for 3 days.

However you can adjust the amount, just remember the 1 to 3 ratio

I was in our Asda yesterday looking at cake decorating things for my sons birthday cake, food colouring, icing and birthday candles etc and I saw the pudding rice there.
Hope that helps!

Mmm - I made the syn free version again today, added an activia light vanilla yoghurt and sprinkled some nutmeg on the top. It was pure loveliness !

Just wanted to say thank you *honey for a FABULOUS recipe! Kept me on the straight and narrow at the end of my first week of SW and was a delicious pud after sunday lunch. Can thoroughly recommend :)

ive seen a few recipes on here for rice pudding with muller light etc, but i made some pudding that tastes *almost* as good as the real thing!!!

boil some pudding rice until soft. Drain. mix in some vanilla essence, semi skimmed milk (HE) and as much sweetener as you wish. mix until almost boiling then crack an egg into it, stir continuously until egg is cooked, you will be able to tell from the consistancy...

DEEELISH!!! :) hope you enjoy.

Wow, just made this and it tastes amazing, really creamy....yum

Back