SYNFREE PANCAKES - Did I do something wrong?

poppyowner

Silver Member
Just wondering - tried making synfree pancakes for the first time this morning and although edible they did taste very much like scrambled egg with sugar on top.
I added a splash of Vanilla essence to yolk as suggested but no quantity was given in recipe as to how much - did I put in too little?
Also I tipped the splenda into the whites then whisked - should I have whisked the whites BEFORE adding the splenda then whisked again?
FINALLY when do you stop whisking the whites - mine were white, bubbly but quite runny still - was this right or should I have whisked longer?

Any tips / suggestions to where I went wrong if infact I did would be appreciated

Thanks

Jill

I whisk the whites until stiff and peaky then add Splenda, then stir in the egg yolks (I just add a good splash of essense), I think they are supposed to look like pancakes but taste like sweet omlettes, thats what mine taste like. Had them this morning for brekkie, I love them!!

It sounds like you made yours exactly how I made mine and they really tasted too much like egg. Hopefully somebody will put us right because I would love to make them again if they are going to taste less like egg!!! :) :)

im not help either as mine were sweet eggs too! maybe its down to people hoping they will be pancakes so they taste like them lol

It sounds like you didn't whisk your egg whites for long enough if they were still runny. You need to whisk them until they are the consistency for meringues - stiff enough that you can hold the bowl upside down without them falling out.

Thing is...they are just sweet egg! LOL! Doesn't really matter for how you make them - the whisking and stuff is for the consistency. They are just thin, sweet omelettes. So if you don't like that, you won't like them. They won't ever taste like proper pancakes - if you expect that you'll be disappointed. But as with a lot of SW foods, I find, once your tastebuds adjust to how sw-tweaked foods taste, then you will enjoy them :D

OK thanks for the replies - will try whisking them for longer and adding the sugar later. I'm not saying I didn't like the taste - they were a nice change from other snacks.

jill

Back