Feeling STUCK...WHAT MORE CAN I DO

Hmm. Well I can tell you the sorts of snacks I eat. A 200g snackpot of pineapple with a Shape yogurt - 170 cals; 45g bag of Tesco mixed fruit and nuts - 225 cals; 2 or 3 Tesco choc chip digestives - 80 cals each; Brazil Nut and Dark Choc Eat Natural bar - 153 cals; small pack of dried apricots - 70 cals; Alpen Light bars - 70 cals; Belvita biscuits - 230 cals for 4. I'm sure some of the other Xen takers on here could suggest better things, but these are what I have the most! :) xx

Sorry to be a pain....But I'm getting really down at the mo my weight is just not moving I keep weighing myself and staying the same for 2 weeks now the scales change 1 day its a pound up the next a pound down. I'm not eating as good as I was i.e chicken/fish with veggis...Now I have had rice and bread a few times this week which could be the problem, and also a weight watchers snack or low fat bar with my hot drink, hardly any fruit, I even had a fried egg (with 1 spray of frylight) with a box of micro chips and 1 spoon of ketchup. I felt bad but I have not gone over my fat or calories(execpt for that one eve out) but know eating that type of food is not gong to help. But I feel so fed up it feels like comfort eating but still counting lol.....and I have exercised really hard this week and kept up with drinking water. I even upped my calories to see if that would help and still nothing.:( xxx

If you were not eating grain carbs/potatoes in the previous weeks and are now then you will put on a few pounds but it's your glyocen stores filling up again - rather than laying down fat. I've had a carb refeed week and fully expect to be 5lb heavier this week (but know my fat % will stay the same), despite 4 kettlebells classes, 3 swims and 2 walks. It is the nature of carb consuming or restricting, once your levels sort out then you'll start loosing again or it can happen when you up your exercise levels as your muscles retain water for repairs. I have had plateaus of a month, then I'd drop 8 or 9 lb the next month.
Stick with it. Eat as much veg as you can and fruit but be careful of grapes and bananas - you can eat a lot of calories in a punnet of grapes.

Hi hon. I'd also say stay off the scales for at least a month. If you know you're doing well with food and exercise, constant weighing is totally pointless and is just going to bring you down if they don't budge. Believe me, I know of what I speak, lol. I've gone back to monthly weighing, having fallen into the bad habit of doing it weekly or even more frequently, and am so much happier for it! There will be times when they don't move, it's the way our bodies work, and it can be so demotivating. As a woman, your body operates on a monthly cycle, so that's the best weighing interval to smooth out the fluctuations.

As to what you eat, don't stress over food types so much as calories - that's my personal advice based on what works for me. If the number of calories you're on isn't working, change it BUT not necessarily downwards; sometimes you need to increase. Did you say you'd found out what your BMR and TDEE are? :) xx

If you were not eating grain carbs/potatoes in the previous weeks and are now then you will put on a few pounds but it's your glyocen stores filling up again - rather than laying down fat. I've had a carb refeed week and fully expect to be 5lb heavier this week (but know my fat % will stay the same), despite 4 kettlebells classes, 3 swims and 2 walks. It is the nature of carb consuming or restricting, once your levels sort out then you'll start loosing again or it can happen when you up your exercise levels as your muscles retain water for repairs. I have had plateaus of a month, then I'd drop 8 or 9 lb the next month.
Stick with it. Eat as much veg as you can and fruit but be careful of grapes and bananas - you can eat a lot of calories in a punnet of grapes.

Awwwww thank you I feel a lot better, gonna stick to carbs just twice a week as I have had carbs nearly everyday this week, and hopefully should see a change. Glad you mentioned the grapes as I leave them on the table and just pick every time I go passed, I didn't realise they were no good, but knew bananas had a lot of sugar. Do you think I could get away with still having one of my weight watchers snacks a day with my hot drink....It seems to be my sanity at the moment.

Hi hon. I'd also say stay off the scales for at least a month. If you know you're doing well with food and exercise, constant weighing is totally pointless and is just going to bring you down if they don't budge. Believe me, I know of what I speak, lol. I've gone back to monthly weighing, having fallen into the bad habit of doing it weekly or even more frequently, and am so much happier for it! There will be times when they don't move, it's the way our bodies work, and it can be so demotivating. As a woman, your body operates on a monthly cycle, so that's the best weighing interval to smooth out the fluctuations.

As to what you eat, don't stress over food types so much as calories - that's my personal advice based on what works for me. If the number of calories you're on isn't working, change it BUT not necessarily downwards; sometimes you need to increase. Did you say you'd found out what your BMR and TDEE are? :) xx

I just done my BMR on mfp and it came uo with 1495 cals per day but on my when I set my goal it calculated 1200 per and an extra 300 when I exercise xxx

I really wish I could stay off the scales your soooo right I just wanna chuck them out the window lol I think I will put them in the cupboard and try and do once a week I know I wouldn't last a month lol xxx

CeeCee786 said:
I just done my BMR on mfp and it came uo with 1495 cals per day but on my when I set my goal it calculated 1200 per and an extra 300 when I exercise xxx

Don't eat below 1500 in that case (BMR). Ignore MFP, it always sets it too low! :) xx

Hey, Hon! Have a look at this thread, especially the link in the first post:

http://www.minimins.com/calorie-cou...you-set-your-recommended-amount-calories.html

It's very interesting, and I know a lot of people in the calorie counting forum have adopted the approach and had success with it. :) xx

Gonna have a read now....thanx really don't know what I'd do with out you (sounds crazy but true lol) I would have drowned my sorrows with a snickers bar thats been in my bag for the 3 weeks lol xxxxx

Awwwww thank you I feel a lot better, gonna stick to carbs just twice a week as I have had carbs nearly everyday this week, and hopefully should see a change. Glad you mentioned the grapes as I leave them on the table and just pick every time I go passed, I didn't realise they were no good, but knew bananas had a lot of sugar. Do you think I could get away with still having one of my weight watchers snacks a day with my hot drink....It seems to be my sanity at the moment.

I'd say stick with the WW bar - I have a bowl of porridge or a cracker when I really want carbs. It's about balance - my overall carbs are much lower than they used to, everyone has a "sweet spot" that works for them. Same with grapes, it's not that they are no good just moderation. Blueberries are very good, I don't eat as many as I would grapes and they are full of anti oxidants/vitamins with less sugar. You can have more carbs and still losse weight but don't hop on and off the scales every day, I now WI once every 2 weeks and don't stress if my 2nd WI is up as I gain loads if I have a night out and drink beer or it's my TOTM or I've had a couple of carb days (starting to wonder why I bother with off days - had 2 days not of excess but toast for breakfast, crackers for snacks, turkey with stuffing, swiss roll and minstrels and I can honestly say I feel like hell - so my tastes are definitely changing which I guess is good - carbs don't have the same desire factor) . Long as month on month I'm dropping or even sts and even little losses add up. Overall I've only lost 7lb since Xmas - so my losses are slowing but it does all add up - I used to panic and try and revise things on a daily basis if I wasn't loosing or go binge a bit, none of which heloed. And DON'T compare yourself to other people - this is your journey - do it right and you'll only do it once.
Some people are good at moderation - I'm not, so for me it's as much about creating new lifelong eating habits.
Don't stress it, if you want it bad enough you'll get there. x

CeeCee786 said:
Gonna have a read now....thanx really don't know what I'd do with out you (sounds crazy but true lol) I would have drowned my sorrows with a snickers bar thats been in my bag for the 3 weeks lol xxxxx

Aww, just glad if I can help. I've had a lot of advice and motivation on this site, so try to "pay it forward". :) On the calorie front, it's really just trial and error until you find what's right for you, but there is a lot of advice to not eat below your BMR. My losses are really slowing now, but 8 stone down that's to be expected. However, I've never reduced lower than 1,400 as I said, and that's on absolutely no exercise, which is why I don't advocate going too low. :) xx

Right...I have just calculated with BMR and TDEE and that comes in at 1834 which is loads I have re-set my goals on mfp (for some strange reason it had and a lower weight for me) and set my goal to loose 1lb (was 2lb) and now I have 1520 cals per day. The key thing I have come to realise today is to use those calories with the right types of foods. Will give it ago and see what happens 1lb a week is still a loss. Thank you ladies for taking the time to give me advice it has not fallen on deaf ears. xxx p.s (I still fancy that snicker bar lol)

CeeCee786 said:
Right...I have just calculated with BMR and TDEE and that comes in at 1834 which is loads I have re-set my goals on mfp (for some strange reason it had and a lower weight for me) and set my goal to loose 1lb (was 2lb) and now I have 1520 cals per day. The key thing I have come to realise today is to use those calories with the right types of foods. Will give it ago and see what happens 1lb a week is still a loss. Thank you ladies for taking the time to give me advice it has not fallen on deaf ears. xxx p.s (I still fancy that snicker bar lol)

That's sounds like a great plan. :) It really is a matter of finding what's right for you, there's no one size fits all approach. I do loads of things that fly in the face of conventinal weight loss wisdom (loads of carbs, eat late in the evening, no exercise etc.), but it's what works for me, and you just need to find your own magic formula. :) xx

Just read through this thread to get some hints and tips as I'm often feeling stuck with my weight loss. The calorie counting link looks interesting so I'm going to have a read of that next :) I'm terrible for hopping on and off the scales far too often but I think I get addicted to weighing myself! :) I know I should only do it once a fortnight or month but I can't stop myself some days

Just read through this thread to get some hints and tips as I'm often feeling stuck with my weight loss. The calorie counting link looks interesting so I'm going to have a read of that next :) I'm terrible for hopping on and off the scales far too often but I think I get addicted to weighing myself! :) I know I should only do it once a fortnight or month but I can't stop myself some days

I find eating so many calories really hard, but staying off the scales is harder lol....But I am training myself just to do it once a week and it's really emotional when the scales don't move or there in accurate by a pound (it makes all the difference lol) xxx

I find eating so many calories really hard, but staying off the scales is harder lol....But I am training myself just to do it once a week and it's really emotional when the scales don't move or there in accurate by a pound (it makes all the difference lol) xxx

yes I know exactly what you mean re the scales! even though it's stressful I can't keep away from them! I've decided to go to Weight Watchers this week. I've just gone to the Doc's to get some Orlistat for the first time in ages and they are giving me a free 12 week pass so I can give WW a go, just waiting to get the vouchers now so I can get started :)

That's sounds like a great plan. :) It really is a matter of finding what's right for you, there's no one size fits all approach. I do loads of things that fly in the face of conventinal weight loss wisdom (loads of carbs, eat late in the evening, no exercise etc.), but it's what works for me, and you just need to find your own magic formula. :) xx
I can't believe it....I upped my cals/ate more and lost 5lbs this week well in 5 days wasn't suppose to weigh myself until sunday but just couldn't wait lol...Thank you for your advice. I'm feeling soooooo motivated right now just hope the weight keeps coming off lol. xxx

yes I know exactly what you mean re the scales! even though it's stressful I can't keep away from them! I've decided to go to Weight Watchers this week. I've just gone to the Doc's to get some Orlistat for the first time in ages and they are giving me a free 12 week pass so I can give WW a go, just waiting to get the vouchers now so I can get started :)
How did you get on at weight watchers???? I did give in to the scales lol but only by one day...so that is progress lol xxx

CeeCee786 said:
I can't believe it....I upped my cals/ate more and lost 5lbs this week well in 5 days wasn't suppose to weigh myself until sunday but just couldn't wait lol...Thank you for your advice. I'm feeling soooooo motivated right now just hope the weight keeps coming off lol. xxx

Yay, that's great! It's best to mix up your calories a bit in general, raise and lower them, keep your body guessing, lol. :) xx

Back