Synning Healthy Extras and Not Using All Your Syns

My C says that you can use the fruit that you have for pudding as part of your superfree, have to admit i do sometimes

I asked my old C about this and she said that as long as it's straight after and not an hor after as it's meant to be the same meal. :confused:

She actually suggested having the fruit before the main meal - that way it's doing what it's meant to and filling you up before you eat free foods.

Good luck with a new group :) I hope you get a nice consultant- mine is lovely and really helpful.

Healthy extras are what they say they are. They have been devised so that you get the amount needed per day to keep you healthy and for the plan to work. So if You don't want 250ml ss milk, you syn what milk you use. You should follow the plan properly for it to work. I think you are in the mindset of the less you eat,the more you'll lose. This isn't the case with SW ,it's been thoroughly designed the way it is to work.
The syns are there to help you stay on track,not deprive yourself of what you fancy and for your body to intake a small amount of calories. Doing without will do you no favours in the long run.

I have lost 1.5 ST in 9 weeks. Have all my hex and average of 10 syns per day. Sometimes 5 sometimes 15.
People who are used to calories counting or the likes sometimes find it hard to get their head round how much you can eat on SW. But the proof is in all the fantastic weight losses over the years. X

Sorry bunny but you're wrong, and the SW site says you're wrong too. The consultants who say you have to syn hex's if you don't use them all are working off old advice & its really bad that they tell people this.

Hi, I have never seen it on SW written that you did not have to eat the measured hex ,so if you don't eat it all it isn't a hex ,surely? And if it's not a hex it's therefor a syn? I'm not trying to argue by the way, I'm just curious to how people think the hex is there to be eaten or not. When it's not,it's there to be eaten. If I fancy one weetabix today and not two,I would know automatically to syn it at 3 syns ,as it's not a healthy extra just one?
Same with milk,cheese,bread. X

On the SW website in the FAQs it does say that you don't have to have ALL of a HEx for it to count.

Direct quote:
Q: Do I have to eat all my Healthy Extras every day?
A: It won't affect your weight loss if you don't take all your Healthy Extra choices. However, the Healthy Extra section is there to ensure a balanced diet, so from a health point of view we recommend that you enjoy all your Healthy Extras each day.

Healthy extras are what they say they are. They have been devised so that you get the amount needed per day to keep you healthy and for the plan to work. So if You don't want 250ml ss milk, you syn what milk you use.

In their FAQs SW themselves say that you do not have to use your HEs if you don't want to - they are as you say extras. So it makes no logical sense to then say you have to syn them if you do not use the full amount. They are there not to promote weight loss but to ensure you have a healthy balanced diet.

Bunnylush said:
Thanks, how very confusing. I have never heard a Con suggesting you can choose whether to eat hex or not x

Its very frustrating. Despite the site saying otherwise & my showing my c the extract she still insists on telling every newbie that if you don't use it all you have to syn it!!!

It's not so much about choosing not to eat HEx as it's about just not getting a chance to. If in the morning I choose to have fry up without using my HEx I tend to have an alpen light as half of HexB as dessert with quark and although I know I can have 2, I tend to end up having only 1 just because. This is not about restricting calories but more about maybe sometimes it's too much. And HEx are just that, extras.

Bunnylush said:
Healthy extras are what they say they are. They have been devised so that you get the amount needed per day to keep you healthy and for the plan to work. So if You don't want 250ml ss milk, you syn what milk you use. You should follow the plan properly for it to work. I think you are in the mindset of the less you eat,the more you'll lose. This isn't the case with SW ,it's been thoroughly designed the way it is to work.
The syns are there to help you stay on track,not deprive yourself of what you fancy and for your body to intake a small amount of calories. Doing without will do you no favours in the long run.

I have lost 1.5 ST in 9 weeks. Have all my hex and average of 10 syns per day. Sometimes 5 sometimes 15.
People who are used to calories counting or the likes sometimes find it hard to get their head round how much you can eat on SW. But the proof is in all the fantastic weight losses over the years. X

Sorry but I never said that I think the less you eat the more you lose. I just said i actually don't fancy having syns every day - it's comfort enough to know that I can.

I'm certainly not going to force food down that I don't want - even if I wasn't trying to lose weight.

And btw I eat a lot. Just look at my food diary. I've never been on a low calorie diet and wouldn't know how many calories are in food. I eat loads of superfree and free food and some syns - just not always 10 a day.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

kingleds said:
Sorry bunny but you're wrong, and the SW site says you're wrong too. The consultants who say you have to syn hex's if you don't use them all are working off old advice & its really bad that they tell people this.

Thanks Kingleds x Love your new picture :)

Maggie_Sak said:
It's not so much about choosing not to eat HEx as it's about just not getting a chance to. If in the morning I choose to have fry up without using my HEx I tend to have an alpen light as half of HexB as dessert with quark and although I know I can have 2, I tend to end up having only 1 just because. This is not about restricting calories but more about maybe sometimes it's too much. And HEx are just that, extras.

Yes that's it exactly. I had 1 Alpen light the other day with fruit for breakfast and then totally forgot to have the second one later. I wasn't hungry so didn't have it at all.

kingleds said:
Its very frustrating. Despite the site saying otherwise & my showing my c the extract she still insists on telling every newbie that if you don't use it all you have to syn it!!!

Yes. This is why I've started this thread as our new consultant is saying all these wrong things. We are now changing groups because if it - about 5 of us in total.

Shrimpy said:
On the SW website in the FAQs it does say that you don't have to have ALL of a HEx for it to count.

Direct quote:
A: It won't affect your weight loss if you don't take all your Healthy Extra choices. However, the Healthy Extra section is there to ensure a balanced diet, so from a health point of view we recommend that you enjoy all your Healthy Extras each day.

Thanks x That's cleared that one up nicely for me :)

Shirleen said:
I agree she's a bit confuddled!

However one thing that concerns me about people not having Syns and having half their HEA is the lack of fat in the diet, because some fat is essential for a healthy bowel, and to absorb some vitamins, which is why I tend to use at least 1 syn a day on a fat of some sort, oil for eggs, mayo, etc.

I don't eat alot of cheese and am a bit concerned that I don't use enough milk, so I can see that synning what I do have may be a way of keeping me on track more iyswim?

But the 1/3 SF over a day is far more doable than 1/3 every meal! Even in the mag it shows fish chips and peas as a meal, none of which is a SF food! If I eat fruit as part of my breakfast and a large salad as lunch then I feel I can get away with less in the evening!

I was also worried about lacking calcium in my diet because I don't like Milk sometimes I have problems working Cheese into my meals or just forget to eat it but then I realised I eat yoghurt and Cottage Cheese everyday so could that not be counted a Calcium?

Direct quote:

Thanks for posting this Shrimpy I tried to rep you but I have to spread the love!
I wouldn't syn part of hex's and do think they are a good thing to have in your diet but I didn't know the FAQ's so cheers!

JanuaryGirl said:
I was also worried about lacking calcium in my diet because I don't like Milk sometimes I have problems working Cheese into my meals or just forget to eat it but then I realised I eat yoghurt and Cottage Cheese everyday so could that not be counted a Calcium?

Yeah me too.

I love having my cereal so most days I use up both HE's first thing but in data I dont I have cottage cheese and Krisprolls or yogurt and Alpen lights so I think I'm ok :)

I keep getting that too! LOL.

Glad my googlefu is useful. :)

Back