Syns confusion re tesco canned irish stew....

lurverick

Now to maintain.....
This was posted yesterday on fb and maybe here as being free.....i logged straight onto syns online thinking it would make a good standby item.checked it...it does indeed say free on ee and original.
so im about to have it for lunch and i get an urge to check my food directory as i thought it seemed strange(espec as has potato in it) and it says 10.5 on original!!!!!!!!

so which to go with?? (im not eating it now!!!).....cant ring syns online and check as phone knackered.

just thought id flag this up to people who may also have seen and bought or already use having checked syns online!!!

Last edited:
This is what I found when I searched for it

Tesco Irish Stew, canned 400g can

0 Syn on Extra Easy Original Free Green 9 Syns

What did you search for, and what did your find that gives a 10 syn value?

(not being cheeky btw just trying to establish what the confusion between values seems to come from)

i said in above post i checked my food directory!!(big printed book you can buy in class with all syn values in!!!)
thats why im confused as its written exact same way in there but gives completely different syn info to online!!!

as i also said i checked syns online and got that it was free exactly the same way as you.

thanks for posting at least i know you got the same online,lol.....dont know if theres anyone on here with syn directory and online accesss too to see what you get??

in food directory its on page 168....second from bottom on left hand side of page! 3 syns ee-10.5 syns original-3 syns green.

I'd go with the online thing as its updated more often than the book.

Sorry for the apparent cross posting its just that you said "syns online said 10.5 on original", and I was confused as to why I got something different from the syns online, thought I might have searched for the wrong thing.

I'd go with the online thing as its updated more often than the book.

Sorry for the apparent cross posting its just that you said "syns online said 10.5 on original", and I was confused as to why I got something different from the syns online, thought I might have searched for the wrong thing.

thanks! its where i changed what i was writing-edited it now!!!

ok so ive eaten it!!!
you said go with online and everyone on fb said go with online....so i did......was yummy but i sooooooo cant see how it was free with pot,peas and some pulses in,lol! will be ringing syns hotline in morning when its open!!!

Last edited:
OOhhh let us know, sounds like a great standby, that is however the reason I don't buy the directory any more, I was merrily eating Tesco tinned bubble & squeak a few years ago (lush lush lush) then they changed the recipe WITHOUT informing me (how very dare they) and I couldn't understand the weight gain, I think it changed to something like 15 syns a can (mind you the olive oil that poured out of the can should have given it away:eek:)

I eat this often and count it as 3 syn on green or ee because that's what it said in the directory AND online last year. I haven't checked it since online so I am chuffed to hear that it's now free!
I don't often take the time to re-check to see if syns have changed.
It's nice to find one that's changed in our favour.
By the way the M&S one is 2.5 syns om RED (not green) or EE, but is much more expensive.

i was on original which was why i was so concerned about the syn value and a little dis believing,lol!!
i can see how it would be free on ee but not on original.
and emma yes it was lovely....i also cooked some fine green beans and chopped them up and mixed them in.

Back