Tall ladies?! 5'8 ish?? BMI madness or delusion?!

Emma3334

Silver Member
Hello,
I don't know if im posting this in the right place or allowed to? I have a diary where I usually rant.

Im 5'8 and according to my doctor my ideal weight is between 9 stone 7!!! and 11 stone 7.

I was aiming for 12stone 7 as this is the lowest I ever remember being and I was about 17 at the time!

If I was anywhere near 9stone 7 I think Id look horrific.

Can anyone else around my height give me some advice - am I deluding myself do I need to lose more when I get to 12.7??

Well, using the BMI calculations, at 12.7 you would still be classed as overweight, unless you're very athletic and muscly- in which case BMI is not very accurate.

If you feel good at 12.7 then aim for that and stop there. It's how you feel that counts. If you wanted to aim for the best weight for you from a fit and healthy point if view, then around 11 stone would probably suit you best

I'm 5 ft 4 and 9 stone 7 - this makes me slap bang in the middle of the BMI scale. It would definitely be too thin for a person of 5 ft 8 I should think

All my friends are little and around the 5ft mark so I don't know anyone my height to discuss it with. I think id look too skinny at the middle mark of 10.7 or 11 but now im worried im being delusional!

x

I wouldn't worry too much because that in itself can be a form of self sabotage. Just concentrate on the immediate job in hand and see how you feel in yourself when you reach 12.7.

If you're happy at that weight then great!

Hiya! I'm 5'8" and my adult weight has ranged from 8.5 stone to 21.5 stone, lol. Now I know I was way, way too thin at 8.5 stone, in fact I suspect I was borderline anorexic at the time (it was over 30 years ago). I've just lost 9 stone to get down to 12.5 stone, and my ultimate aim is to get to a healthy BMI, the top of which is 11 stone 10 lbs. BUT that's purely for my own satisfaction, having come this far already, I don't actually look or feel like I really need to lose more weight. In fact people keep saying I don't need to lose any more. So my advice would be to get down to your target weight and just see how you feel. I suppose a lot depends on what size you'd like to end up at, and that very much varies depending on body shape. I'm a fairly comfortable size 16 now, which is fine by me, especially as I'm 51 and think I'll start looking older if I lose much more.

Sorry if that was a bit rambling, lol, just trying to explain my personal take on it - basically ignore BMI, it's very discredited although doctors do still rely on it, sadly. You've set your target, work towards that and take it from there. Good luck! :) xx

thanks ladies!

Tracey that's amazing!WELL DONE!!
Wow I really am so impressed. You've done fantastic to control your weight after going from being so little to being larger. Fantastic!

I just want to feel confident and happy. Id like to be a size 12 with the occasional 14 thrown in, but in general to be able to walk into a shop and pick up a 12. Not pick up an optimistic 16 and a more than likely 18! Im hovering between a 14 and 16 now so need to get back in the zone to be in that 14!

Got no kitchen for 5 weeks though so nightmare ahead

Emma3334 said:
thanks ladies!

Tracey that's amazing!WELL DONE!!
Wow I really am so impressed. You've done fantastic to control your weight after going from being so little to being larger. Fantastic!

I just want to feel confident and happy. Id like to be a size 12 with the occasional 14 thrown in, but in general to be able to walk into a shop and pick up a 12. Not pick up an optimistic 16 and a more than likely 18! Im hovering between a 14 and 16 now so need to get back in the zone to be in that 14!

Got no kitchen for 5 weeks though so nightmare ahead

Oh thank you! I appreciate that. :) I don't think I'll ever be able to get below maybe a 14, even at a weight under 12 stone - it's so dependent on body shape, isn't it? I'm a classic apple, skinny legs and no waist, lol. So trousers that fit my waist tend to be loose on the hips and thighs, sigh. :) xx

I guess im hourglass as Ive got a small waist for my frame but a big chest which makes things that don't stretch a nightmare or makes me look like I should work in a dodgy bar!
Ive got huge legs too which is unfortunate - no boots or skinny jeans are getting round my ankles or calfs!
x

Emma3334 said:
I guess im hourglass as Ive got a small waist for my frame but a big chest which makes things that don't stretch a nightmare or makes me look like I should work in a dodgy bar!
Ive got huge legs too which is unfortunate - no boots or skinny jeans are getting round my ankles or calfs!
x

Ooh, I'd love a waist! We're never satisfied with what we've got, are we?! :D x

nope!!!! x

I don't think im ever going to look slim! I thought being tall meant you were meant to be able to get away with weighing more?! Clearly not the case for me!

Hi,

I am 5ft9 and couldnt believe it when they told me I could go down to 9st8lb and still be healthy!! I would look skeletal!

I'll be more than happy at 11st and I think i will look slim there!!

Amy - I know its crazy in my opinion!
I think I will have to lower my target by quite a lot as I was just aiming for 12 and a half, as I was 17 when I last weighed that! But clearly I should be around the 11 mark also! x

I'm 5'9 and my lowest weight was 12st a size 14, judging by that I would say 11st sounds a pretty healthy weight for me ( when I will get there is a different matter ) x

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using MiniMins.com mobile app

When I got down to 13st last time I was a 12 in dresses and a 14 in trousers, so was aiming for 12.7 but thinking it will have to be a minimum of 12 :(

I think with is being taller, we should diet until we are happy with our shape. Don't aim for a clothes size or a weight!! Xx

Well I was aiming for 12.7 but now feel like Im way way off so should drop it to 11 maybe? (Ive just realised that's your target! lol)
Ive come a long way but still got so far to go and now im going to have to move my target I feel like its even further! x

Emma3334 said:
Well I was aiming for 12.7 but now feel like Im way way off so should drop it to 11 maybe? (Ive just realised that's your target! lol)
Ive come a long way but still got so far to go and now im going to have to move my target I feel like its even further! x

Just as an update to my previous posts, I'm now at 12 stone, BMI 25.5, and starting to feel I'm more or less there in terms of how I look and feel. I've set my final target at 11.5 stone, as that will make it a nice round loss of 10 stone, lol, but I think any less for me wouldn't be good. It does all depend on how skinny you want to end up - as I said before, at 51 I'm going for slim rather than thin, but it's very much a matter of personal preference as far as I can see. Stick with a weight you're happy at, regardless of what the charts say. :) xx

I am 5'8 and initially set my target at 11 stone. I've since lowered it to 10 stone 7 as this feels more comfortable for me. For my wedding I would like to get to 10 exactly, but maintain around 10 4-6 for the long term :)

Thanks ladies, I think you're right its personal and depends on your individual shape. Ill get to mini targets and reassess from there.
Thank you for all your inputs so far! x

Back