Target weight

Jamcar77

Does anyone know if slimming world make your target weight be within the recommended healthy weight range for your height hence giving you a healthy bmi? Any material I have read just seems to say that you can decide your own target and does not mention that it has to mean you have a healthy bmi? Seems strange and defeats the purpose of losing weight if you are still gonna be overweight with an unhealthy bmi x

Hi! You can set your target weight to be anything at all regardless of BMI. I think it is fantastic, especially as BMI is of questionable value as a measure of health

I think if you are someone with a lot to lose then it's a brilliant idea. I have family members who have a lot to lose and the idea of having 8 stone to lose to become a healthy BMI is overwhelming for them. But by being able to say I can lose 4 and then set my target takes some of that pressure off. Then when they reach that they can re-evaluate.

It's also recognising that just losing some weight and making healthy lifestyle changes can make a massive difference to a persons health. Someone who loses 4 stone is healthier than they were when they were 4 stone heavier.

Personally I don't want to become a healthy BMI for too many reasons to go into here. It's mainly because I naturally settle at around 10st and to get below that is really hard work. Why would I want to starve myself to lose another 5lbs just to tick a box I'm not bothered by when I'm happy at 10st?!

Each to their own I guess, but I would rather pay the money and get to a weight that isn't putting my body under any pressure. Have lost 5 stone in the past on 2 occasions and felt so good and so healthy and just want to get back to that again. Don't understand why health professionals go on about healthy weights, bmi and waist measurements etc if they are of no benefit. Oh well as long as we are all happy with our own choices that's the main thing, good luck in your journeys, this time I plan to go to class forever lol xx

It's not that they are no good it's more that they are a very broad, too broad GUIDE. BMI make takes no account of muscle mass or anything else such as where the weight is carried on the body. I understand that a waist to hip ratio is a better guide because allegedly those that carry weight around their middle rather than on legs or arms are more at risk of coronary problems.

Still this isnt a weight based guide and I agree you should be able to set your target at whatever you want. We have club 10 because of the health benefits of dropping 10% of your body weight. That's set at a percentage in recognisance of the fact that everyone has different start weights and therefore a different amount to lose. 10% is a good target to start, it feels achievable. Then we reassess ;) Think I'll be reassessing for a while!!

Each to their own I guess, but I would rather pay the money and get to a weight that isn't putting my body under any pressure. Have lost 5 stone in the past on 2 occasions and felt so good and so healthy and just want to get back to that again. Don't understand why health professionals go on about healthy weights, bmi and waist measurements etc if they are of no benefit. Oh well as long as we are all happy with our own choices that's the main thing, good luck in your journeys, this time I plan to go to class forever lol xx

I can see where you're coming from, there's no point doing something half-ar8&d. But going by BMI, I could be deemed to be healthy at 9st 7 and unhealthy at 9st 8, when it doesn't matter cos I'll still be healthier at either weight than I am currently at 11st 2.5. If that makes any sense.

BMI, as with everything in life, is a guide rather than the be all and end all. You can be a healthy BMI and chug back a bottle of wine most nights, smoke 40 a day and do no exercise. I'm in a high BMI range but don't drink, never smoked and walk everyday. It's all relative.

My 'healthy range' is 8st 8 to 10st 10 which is a great broad range that should suit most. Now I would look ridiculous at the lower end but look and feel great around 10st 4 which gives me a bit of leeway. Anyway everyone good luck with your individual journeys and fingers crossed we all reach our final destinations happy and healthy xx

It just seems strange to me its like going on a holiday, but getting part of the way and thinking, of we'll not bother continuing on we'll just stay here and never reaching your final destination, never knowing what it would have been like, lol does that make sense? X

Back