Taster night ideas....

Hmmm - might have to put it on my Amazon wish list. There are times when skinny cakes just don't hit the spot.

we have one tonight i have been stuck in all day waiting for workmen to show up. i have made scan bran chocolate cake(always goes down well) and have falafels in the oven. :)

Jaylou, you know you ned to know more than just the calories in something to work out the syn value, don't you hun? I know some people reckon that it's 20 cals to a syn, but I wouldn't go basing major food choices or recipe selections on that. I'd also worry about inexperienced SWs reading your recipe/posts and taking your syns count as fact....

I have one next week too. I don't know what to take, I made the white choc and cranberry brownie from the mag as a trial as I was going to take that, but it was yuk!
I need to peruse my books for inspiration and also keep an eye on cost cos you can end up spending a fortune.....

one of the girls in my club was going to make that so oops lol, we got ours Sat morning so am going to try to make the carrot cake in the mag

I have just finished making my dish for my SW taster "party".

I have made mini kebabs. Roasted peppers and tomatoes with chicken or Quorn steak skewered on cocktail sticks!

I have even used red peppers for the chicken and green peppers for the quorn to match with green or red days! How sad am i!

Quietly quite pleased with myself now though!!

xx

thanks to a recepie I found from a post off brit mum in canada, I am taking this:

Ingredients
9 syns for entire cake
6 large eggs seperated
1/2 cup of splenda (or other sweetener)
2 oz of cocoa powder (be sure to use real cocoa powder and not drinking chocolate etc)

Method
Preheat oven to 180c or 350f, spray a oven proof cake tin with non stick spray
Whisk the egg whites to the soft peak stage and set aside.
Then place the egg yolks in another mixing bowl and whisk until they start to thicken, then add the splenda and continue to whisk, but be careful not to let the yolk mixture get too thick. Add the cocoa powder into the egg yolk mixture and if it starts to get too stiff, add a little of the egg white mixture.
Carefully fold in the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and then pour the mixture into the cake tin.
Bake the cake for approx 25 minutes until springy.
Remove it from the oven but leave it in the cake tin to cool.

plus syn free kfc, also making a normal sponge cake but with splenda and cooking in little pettie silicon moulds, just working out what the syns will be now.

I am really looking forward to this, its the first taster I have done.:D

Jaylou, you know you ned to know more than just the calories in something to work out the syn value, don't you hun? I know some people reckon that it's 20 cals to a syn, but I wouldn't go basing major food choices or recipe selections on that. I'd also worry about inexperienced SWs reading your recipe/posts and taking your syns count as fact....

I know that when baking a cake, most ingredients have a syn value so I've taken the calories and turned them into syns.
If I wanted to I could remove the egg and squash value but as it's a cake I'm leaving it in.

If I listed it all seperately it would work out quite similar I'm sure.

Well, I'm not about to argue with a target member (very well done on maintaining, too!), but for anyone not yet at target, I'd still strongly urge that people carefully weigh and syn any new recipe, especially ones that use flour or other ingredients that seem like 'empty' syns.

To double check my theory... I've just itemised the syn value of the ingredients. It comes to 60 syn. 24 cakes = 2.5 syns each (50cake cals)

:)

this is really interesting, and I thought there would be a difference if the calories came more from fat than carbs or protein or vise versa, so I went onto manual syns online and put in three different versions of 100 cals, firstly with 10g of fat (9 cals per gram of fat) and no carbs or protein...= 5 syns.. then put in 5g of carb, 5g of protein and 6g of fat (4cals per gram of carbs, 3.6cals per gram of protein) it also came as 5 syns! so then i put in 10g protein, 10g of carbs and 2g of fat... also 5 syns!

I was convinced in my head that it should be different, but it was always the same. so I have to agree with jaylou, as a rule of thumb - 50 cals is roughly 2.5 syns. if you can add it up its better to double check, but as a rule of thumb its a good figure to go by.

I am actually amazed to be honest, but there you go.

Shows how much time we all have on our hands to work out such things!!!
It's only for things without a free food allowance though. Still always best to check before we eat though :)

lol, yeah! I should get out more ;)

and yes, i did choose the 'no free food' option, it would be less with a free food in.

we had the taster this morning, it was lovely, a girl at the class made the key lime pie and it was delish!

Will defo give that a go, the KFC chicken went down well, and the brownie cake, the little cakes were nice but at 2.5 syns each they were the least popular.

also tried someones cous cous cake with apple and it was really really good, nam nam!

Back