Taz's diary - Need to do this!

Ouch!!!! That's not good. I'd better come and look at it later but I might not be able to do anything - might be a chiro job - we'll see x

I'm thinking it might need crunching Nomad and that's for a chiro to do but I'll see if it's muscular and if so I can probably help x

I'm seeing my chiropractor this morning in the hope that she can sort my neck out. It has eased a little over the last 2 days but I still get a shot of pain if I move it too far or in the wrong direction.

Saw my surgeon yesterday for my follow up appointment. I was expecting it just to be a debrief and be sent on my way but he didn't discharge me :( he wants to see me again at the end of January when I should be fully healed and back to normal. Well..... normal for me!

Still haven't worked out if the news was good or bad, or just plain hmmm. He got the knee model out which always creeps me out a little! He showed me on the model where the tear was and said that he'd trimmed off the damaged bits. He also trimmed off and tidied up some mess in my knee cap (that could explain the excessive pain!) and he showed me what else he found. On the cartilage on the bone (not the stuff in between) there are fissures. I remember him showing me the picture of it after surgery through my druggy fog I remember seeing 3 'cracks' on the picture. He said that these could turn into tears if I'm not careful and it's an early indication of osteoarthritis
:eek: So we asked what would happen if they get worse and he said it would mean a knee replacement which he wouldn't want to be doing for at least another 10-15 years.

I guess it's now more important than ever to shift this weight for the sake of my poor knees. For all I know the same could be happening in my right knee too but I may not know that for sure until it's too late! So the least I can do is reduce the strain on them, I may not be able to do much about it before christmas but I will certainly be making a concerted effort in the new year, and that means getting a years membership to the leisure center so I can swim as much as possible and go to the gym to strengthen all the muscles I rely on to support my faulty joints. I have been told that I am not allowed to do anything high impact and there was a heart stopping moment when he found out what my job is and we thought he was going to say I'd have to give that up too! But he didn't, he pulled a face then said 'ok'. I guess strolling up and down a train is as high impact as it will get from now on :(

It's certainly a lot to take in Taz and as you say, you can help the situation too - we will make the effort together after Christmas :) and enjoy our success in the summer x

Thanks for your company over the weekend Super Sleuth and thanks to Mr Taz for all the driving x

Well the weekend was interesting! Friday night started with none of us knowing what to expect and ended up with me and Mr Taz winning the murder mystery :) it was a great night and very well done. Saturday we visited a Victorian village which had their Christmas festival on. The village was lovely but the Christmas effort was disappointing so a bit of a mixed bag really but still a good day out. Then on Sunday we started off in the hotel spa which had a pool, a jacuzzi and a steam room. A very pleasant start to the day! We then went into Birmingham and, after spending an age trying to park, visited the Christmas markets. The markets weren't as good as previous years, a lot of repetitive stalls and not as good variety as usual.

Then on the way home I started to feel a bit queasy. I thought it was just tiredness/sore neck/over exertion but after we dropped off the Stone's I started feeling very sick and within 10 minutes of being home I was very ill. This didn't stop for a few hours so Mr Taz called NHS Direct who said they had been inundated with calls of similar symptoms and it was the winter vomiting virus. It truly is a vile virus and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I had about 12 hours of almost non-stop sickness and... other yukky stuff
:sick0019:I was quite tender all day on Monday and was sick once more on Monday night and couldn't sleep well at all, everything ached! I stayed on the sofa all night then went to bed just before 5am. I slept for about an hour then when I got up I felt fine apart from a headache which I couldn't shift all day but my stomach was completely settled and I was able to eat and drink normally. Last night I slept right through which is actually the first full night sleep I have had in a long time!

*SERIOUS NOTE TO ANYONE WHO CATCHES THIS* If anyone is unlucky enough to catch this nasty virus I have one bit of advice. The obvious thing with sickness is not to eat (usually because you can't anyway!) and to sip water. I was told by the doctor to not even sip water after being sick, swilling out your mouth is fine but not to swallow. Then after an hour if you haven't been sick take a teaspoon of water every 5 minutes for half an hour. If that is successful then start to take bigger sips. If you are sick at any time during the process then go back to the start. Other friends I know who have had this say the sickness lasted 36-48 hours so I can only assume that it was this process that meant mine was so much shorter. Not sure I could have coped with another day of it!

Enough of all that yukky stuff! I started physio last night, I have exercises to do and I have to get my leg straight which is not an easy process but will be done. My neck is a lot better but still a bit sore. My chiropractor said I'd pulled something in my neck and she cracked it back into place but said it will be sore for a while. It's not troubling me too much tho.

All the Christmas shopping is pretty much done, still some wrapping to do which I will probably tackle a bit later on today. I have to make some shortbread later for one of the presents which has to be delivered tomorrow. Plenty to do today, got a nice stack of washing up, got some washing to do, shortbread to make, and I have some visitors!

Have a good day everyone, sorry for the epic tale!

So glad you're feeling so much beter - you certainly looked tons better last evening. It was a good weekend but, as you say, a mixed bag - very busy and tiring x

It was indeed. And my physio said I shouldn't be walking to excess, to the point where I get so tired that my knee doesn't want to hold. Wrists slapped!

I think you knew that really Taz but you were SO determined to enjoy the last two weekends that you pushed it. Rest up a little more now and get back to recovery x

Well she inflicted sufficient pain to make sure I rest today! She has warned me that I will need to make sure I don't have too many plans on the days after my sessions as they WILL hurt!

Physio-terrorist indeed Taz. It has to be done though and you will have to do as you are told :nono: x

Hi Taz, glad you had a good weekend. At least you made it home before you were ill! Glad it only lasted a day and you are feeling better. Have a good, restful day xx

I did have a nice restful day yesterday until a friend text to remind me that we'd agreed to pick her and her son up from town after her son's cubs christmas bowling party! So I got everything done that I needed to do (washing up, washing, made shortbread) and we went out about half 6 to meet my friend who was a little stranded in a retail park! We all know that's not a chore for us girls! So we had a mooch around the shops then picked her son up from the bowling alley then took them home via the KFC drive thru :D

Morning all! Yesterday was a busy one, went to visit my nephews which is always a nice thing to do but the youngest is a bit boisterous and he collided with my knee a few times which was a little painful but he is soooo irresistible it's hard to be sad about that! Today I am just resting and going nowhere. I could do with going to the local retail center as there are a couple of things I need to do but I think I need the rest more. I have reserved a couple of things at Argos but I think I will have to ask someone to pick them up for me!

We'll sort it somehow Taz. Hope your knee didn't suffer too much yesterday x

I ended up venturing out yesterday so today will be my rest at home day. I say rest, I do have to finish wrapping all the presents at some point today. I usually do it all in one day and have a good session with Christmas films and feeling all festive but I've had to do it in smaller sessions this year as it's not so easy. I will also have to have, what I hope will be, the final sort out under the tree. I have to put a chair next to it to sort out under there, I would usually sit on the floor and do it but I think if I get down there I may not be able to get back up again :eek:

I visited Gem yesterday and while I was there I made use of her scales and didn't like what I saw! I am way to close to my original start weight than I am comfortable with and I don't think I can attribute much of that to the swelling or the Sub I'd had for lunch! So it looks like I may be starting right from square one again in the new year :(

Back