Taz's diary - Need to do this!

:talk017:
YAY
1lb Lost is
ONE LESS TO LOSE
:talk017:​

Thanks for that Gem! I know a loss is a loss and it's all good but I was hoping for more really. I put on 1.5lb in the last 2 weeks and I was hoping to lose all of that! Also I am going away for the weekend so there is very little chance of losing anything next week either!

I know a loss is a loss and it's all good but I was hoping for more really. I put on 1.5lb in the last 2 weeks and I was hoping to lose all of that!

lol you make me laugh taz. you seem a little miffed with 1lb loss, but before class you were keeping your fingers crossed for a sts!!! ...remember only strawberries dipped in chocolate for this weekend ;)

Ha ha I know I am so flakey aren't I?! I don't think I can afford strawberries :( at least I can't afford too much bad food either though! I will take loads of mugshots etc that I can make up in the room or take out with me

You could prob do with going out for a nice meal at least one night Tazzy girl x

I KNOW when I'm bad so writing it down does nothing for me. Love your list and your attitude Taz. Don't forget it might not be all bad as all the exercise may be producing more muscle and we know that weighs heavier than fat x

sorry just hav to comment on this Gem we were talkin about this in class last week as a girl had started the gym and as she'd never done exercise in her life before was annoyed she STS and as u said we told her muscle weighs more than fat only to be told off by our consultant as this is apparently a MYTH???:confused:

No it's not a myth, I always weigh more when I get back from training or from the gym as your muscles retain water (or something like that!) and after I started martial arts I gained a lb but had lost 1% body fat so I think that's fairly conclusive! When you start exercising from nothing you may notice a gain but when it becomes lifestyle you should lose more as it will keep your metabolism at a good rate

Muscle DEFINITELY weighs heavier than fat - that is why people who do massive amounts of exercise (especially body builders) cannot really go by the BMI tables we all tend to look at from time to time x

Just got back from my weekend away and I think I may have rather a large gain this week! I went with good intentions and knowing that we would be having a cooked breakfast for 2 days but we ended up meeting up with family and eating out yesterday and again today! Today was really bad though, it was carvery and we finished it off with a huge slice of sticky toffee pavlova! yummy but really not conducive to weight loss! Back on it 100% as of now though.

The really annoying thing though, is that I have to stop going to class as the nurse won't give me any more vouchers. I am going to try and see a different nurse and explain that my gain is due to illness (all documented in my notes at the very same surgery!) and not due to the fact I haven't been trying! I don't think it will get me anywhere but at least I can say I tried!

3lbs isn't bad at all & it'll be gone in no time. x

Yeah it's not as bad as I thought it would be, I just hope I can shift it before WI on Wednesday!

Well I have just been up to see the nurse at the doctors surgery and they have given me more vouchers for SW so now I have to lose loads in the next 12 weeks or I won't get any more! I'm not sure how much I have to lose to keep them happy but I will have to do my best

Muscle DEFINITELY weighs heavier than fat - that is why people who do massive amounts of exercise (especially body builders) cannot really go by the BMI tables we all tend to look at from time to time x

No, a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat...muscle is more dense than fat, so you can have more muscle (which is where the heavier myth comes from) packed into the same sized volume of fat...more muscle packed into the same sized volume of fat means of course that the same sized volume of muscle weighs more than the same sized volume of fat. But a pound is a pound is a pound, same as a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of muscle...

So if you are replacing the fat for muscle then the weight will be more! By volume, muscle IS heavier than fat so if you are building muscle and losing fat then it is plausible to put some weight on

Yep...just thought the volume clarification might be handy as it can confuse people...I always use the same example...six years ago I weighed 9 stone and fit into size 10s...last year I weighed 10 stone and fit into size 10s...and my body fat percentage has decreased by a long way.

So you can weigh heavier on the scale but have smaller measurements.

That's a great example. That's why I'm not getting totally hung up on the number on the scales but also keeping an eye on my measurements etc

That's a great example. That's why I'm not getting totally hung up on the number on the scales but also keeping an eye on my measurements etc

You're right not to...even personal trainers (the male ones especially) tell one to ignore the scales completely, because women mostly and some men tend to have hang ups about the weight issue. The scales don't differentiate between fat and fat free mass...but the way your clothes fit and the actual bodily measurements are a much better indicator of progress.

Oh and don't worry about the 3 pound gain (it'll be mostly glycogen and water I reckon) My weight can go up and down by 4 pounds in one day!

Yeah I'm sure it will soon disappear. I am back to the exercise tonight so that should get the metabolism working again!

ooh. that's it then. it's all the swimming i've been doing, not the amount of crap i've been eating :p haven't checked my body fat percentage recently actually. in fact i've avoided the scales but i doubt they are going to be as scary as i think...

no worries on the small gain taz. and aim for at least a lb a week on sw. they say you can lose 1-2lbs a week on it on average so i guess that's what the doctors will expect? go for it and knock their socks off!!

abz xx

Back