Taz's diary - Need to do this!

​I have plenty of flexibility in my mini goals apart from the first one. I intend to enjoy every step!

​Mini goals are a great way to break it down into a more manageable and less daunting process! Go for it

In one of the best educational systems I have worked with they work with challenges and the most important part is "chunking the challenge" to make it manageable x

Exactly. When you look at the whole journey it seems like such a long way to go. When you look at smaller targets they are much easier to focus on and it's surprising how easily they go by and before you know it a whole chunk has been done!

I didn't start setting my goals til I'd lost the first bit then worked out my average reasonable loss. I base it on 2 main things: I set the dates for specific events (holidays, birthdays etc) then aim for a lb a week plus a few on top depending on the time scale. Or if there is a specific weight I want to achieve for a specific date I work it that way too. But it has to be do-able or it will have the opposite effect

1lb a week is a good goal and should be well doable. If it doesn't sound like much, think of it this way - 1lb a week is over half a stone in 8 weeks (2 months). In that time you could be trying for better results and failing because your goals aren't reachable. Still not convinced - my calculations make it over 3 stone in 6 months (even allowing for the odd sts) and that would be a result I reckon x

I normally say 2lb a week Gem but I generally set my first goal for my birthday and the second one for Christmas. I like that Taz breaks it down further, however I don't have any markers like she does so need to think about what I can use. Sorry to take over your diary Taz xx

You can still aim for 2lb a week but if your goal is set at 1lb a week your goal will be reachable - so much better if it gets blasted out of the water x

Not at all Nomad. A doable goal that is easy to exceed will give you steady progress and the occasional boost. In the past my best successes came by setting low (1lb a week) short term goals and aiming for 2lb a week. There are always weeks when you do better than others so the goals are always doable if you are honest with yourself. The weight lost is "proper weightloss" and as you aren't doing any "hard dieting" you are able to "live" at the same time - I find that prevents binging that often happens because you feel deprived. I have no desire to get into the deprivation and binge cycle that can spiral weight upwords

:hijack: Look at me giving advice - this only works of course once you are in the zone. It is always a choice you make but there is an emotional side to weightloss too in that what is going on in our lives can effect how we deal with our choices.

Taz - You are an inspiration x

I think you have a point to consider there Nomad and you may have to look to yourself a little for the answer to that one. There are 2 types of people when it comes to meeting challenges: You either look at it and say "I can do that, and if I can do better I will" Or you look at it and say "Is that all? No problem, I can take it steady now". If you are the first then low goals are great as you can smash the goals then feel great for doing so. If you are the second then maybe the goals do need to be a little higher. But yo will also need to consider your reaction if you miss a goal. If it will create a negative reaction then keep them lower. Hope that made some sense

You always have to consider the "all round" picture Taz and our reactions to different situations vary immensely from person to person. You are very wise x

I think the thing I like most about Friday's is changing the tickers ;) 2lb off this week, still 1lb more than Christmas Eve but very happy with that as I haven't had the best of weeks. 8lb and 5 weeks to go for the first mini goal of the year

Wow Taz - still doing it - Go Girl. I am going to start Friday weigh in again next week so I will join you - hopefully with a loss x

Back