Taz's diary - Need to do this!

That's acceptable Gem, if you go from a lot to a little activity the scales aren't going to like it at all!

I know Taz and I'm totally cool with it. I do expect squatter eviction next week though, hopefully dragging some of their nasty little friends with them x

Ha ha..... kick a bit of arse - seriously though, you are looking great at the moment x

I saw the doctor at Bupa on Friday morning and he said that the Thyroxine takes a while to do it's thing at first and that my metabolism should soon get a boost so I'm hoping he is right! I really do need to pull my finger out though, last week was a bit mad and I missed swimming on Sunday (because I'd dropped a machine on my head at work and didn't feel great) then got too busy to go on Thursday as I was making cakes for a cake sale we did on Friday. I also missed Wednesday's gym session. I forget why now, I think it was just working late and running out of time. I missed yesterday's gym session but went today instead.

I've also come to realise something else. There is a new craze that a lot of my colleagues are into and which I think is completely ridiculous. It's the fasting diet, or 5:2 diet. Basically, you eat normally for 5 days and fast for 2 non consecutive days (eating no more than 500 calories on these days). I think any kind of starvation is bad and would never entertain it. However, it did get me thinking......

I have 2 rest days a week when I do no exercise. I think I need to be consciously eating less on these days and I need less fuel for these days. I'm not about to starve or even count calories but I will start to be more aware of what I am consuming on days without exercise and see if this helps give me the boost I so desperately need.

My inactive week (without any conciousness in eating) netted me a couple of squatters but the following week when I got back into it kick-started me quite nicely. Maybe the break did my metabolism some good x

I agree, the 5:2 diet is daft. Like you, on the days I don't exercise I'm trying to eat less because my body doesn't need that amount of fuel. Fingers crossed your metabolism kicks in soon x

The body needs food - that is what fuels our activities. That said, you girls are right - if you cut down when you don't need so much you don't have it hanging around waiting to be used like an over-full fuel tank. Its a balance - you cut down too much and the body says whoooh.... she's starving me - eat too much and the body has to find somewhere to store the excess, often in places they shouldn't be x

Can't disagree with that Nomad! ;) I could never do anything that drastic, I don't feel right if I don't have enough food. But as previously said, I should be eating less on the days with no activity as it has no use. So today is an inactive day and I have eaten breakfast, lunch and a couple of snacks at work. I am home now and not hungry and have no use for any more fuel so there is no need. I have made a yummy pasta with chilli and cheese sauce for lunch tomorrow so that will be nice. My next 'lazy' day isn't until next Saturday now.

You work hard Taz and need food to fuel that and if its the right fuel it should serve you well, allowing you to lose weight as well x

Still no scales movement! I have downloaded the My Fitness Pal app on my phone today. I'm not into counting calories, or anything else for that matter, but I don't have a problem with doing a diary and this works it all out for you. Just thought it would be interesting to see where I'm going wrong and why those damn scales refuse to move! I have been quite surprised today as I feel that I have eaten too much but MFP seems to think I haven't! When you log exercises it adds the calories on to your 'allowance' for that day but I'm not a fan of that at all. I don't exercise so I can eat more!

Everything you do, however small, uses calories so when you exercise you need the extra fuel - more calories. If MFP are putting the extra on it could mean the exercise you are doing uses more calories. If you are not eating enough for the exercise you do your metabolism may have slowed to compensate x

Well it turned out I did use all the calories, including the extra allowance! Today, however, I have not done any exercise and I have not used all my 'allowance'! I just seems slightly wrong to burn it off only to consume it. But yes I do agree with the more fuel thing and the MFP calorie allowance is a calculation rather than a generalisation so it is more specific to me than, say, a diet plan that allows a blanket amount for everyone then allows more for exercise. If that makes any sense?!

I hope it works well for you Tax. You certainly deserve success - you're worked for it x

I will let you know.... So far I have not gone over my 'allowance' even though I never read labels, so I must naturally make good choices :D But all will be revealed on the scales on Friday. I'm not doing anything different but logging it all does make you think a little more so it may serve to bring my brain back into line

I tried out our new Monday afternoon AquaFit class yesterday. It was really good and I can go next week too as I finish work early enough :D

Back