Tempted...need convincing :(

<3_my_cat_x

Hi all,

Sorry in advance...this is a bit of a moan. I am feeling fed up today - day 6 of SnS n I'm fed up. Knew the weekend would be tough but just feel theres no sociable aspect of this diet!! Next weekend I've got two meals/evenings out on fri and sat and i just don't know what to do. On the one hand I tell myself I should be allowed the odd treat (not go mad with eating and have a few g n ts) and on the other i feel i should try and stick to it 100% esp as it's only early in the diet for me. I feel a bit demoralised as I am sure I'm not going to see a massive drop on the scales on Monday. I used to do Closer diets and lost 3 st in 3 months - it was low gi which seemed to work as low carb is tough for me as I don't eat meat/fish and i have an underactive thyroid and low gi is good for that. So I know I'm going to think might as well just go back to that. I was even drinking occassionally on the closer diet and having meals out etc but not going mad. I go to a bootcamp 3 x a week anyway and could always up my exercise next week - i.e. go to the gym thurs/fri/sun (sat is bootcamp) or maybe I should stick to it 100% - I just feel like if I'm not losing more than I was on closer diets (i was never hungry and in reality, very happy!) with this vlcd (i am a bit miserable on it) i might as well go back to it.

anyway please help me! no idea what to do.

Sorry for near-incoherent ramble!

X

we all have those days, so moan away!

i appreciate what you said about closer diets, was there a specific reason you decided on a vlcd instead of doing the closer plan again instead?

Thanks Ruby - well I did it from Sept - Dec last year and lost 3 stone and then we went away over xmas and i sort of lost it after that. I then put 2 st back on over the following months and then this november I thought right I have to do this I am getting married in July etc and then I suddenly panicked that I had left it too late to get slim for the wedding so i looked for a quick fix and found this. I just don't know. I don'tknow why I panicked about closer diets as i was doing well on it last year. Im so stupid i shouldnt have left it so late - so cross with myself. I also do a pretty intense bootcamp 3x a week and ive read that exercise can impede weight loss on vlcds so im confused about that too and just feel a bit miserable. I don't want to eat crap all the time or drink every night - just every so often and i still want to have a life. i know its only my first week too - im so pathetic! xx

number 1) you are not pathetic!

july 2013 is still a long way away! youve still got 8 months!

maybe you should try to do a mix of the two? say so the closer diets until january, so you can see friends and enjoy the festive period in moderation.
then do a month of slim&save, another month of closer diets and see how you go alternating them?

you may find it easer to motivate yourself if you know you can eat a more varied diet after a few weeks of a VLCD. if youre aiming for 6 stone loss, you can easily manage that in 8 months :)

with the bootcamp thing, i wouldnt worry too much as long as you take note of the inches youre losing too. just toning up can make you lose a dress size without seeing very much change on the scales.

(Sorry to interrupt but what's the closer diet??)

We all have to be able to live while we are on a diet but its all about weighing up the pros and cons.

Why do you think you will not have a good weight loss this week?

You can still go out with friends and use packs through the day and have protein and veg when out for meals. Then you have to decide if you want to have a drink or if you would rather have a weight loss. No one can decide but you

This diet is not for everyone we all have days when we feel fed up with it. If you think trying closer diet will be better then maybe try that.

Whatever you decide good luck

Thanks Ruby :) great advice and really good idea about alternating months - i will probably do that. I thought maybe alternating weeks but then id be in and out of ketosis like a yoyo and prob really p*** my body off! Ok so my short term plan- go out next fri + sat, come out of ketosis, reduce calories in daytimes and allow myself to eat carbs but in moderation (and try to have wholemeal carbs if pos) and have a few drinks too. be right back on it on sunday morning and then weigh myself mon morning - maybe risky and demoralising but then at least ill know the damage for the future -i don't know anything about low carbing or ketosis, asi did low gi before so i swotted up on that!! :rolleyes: So anyway, will weigh myself monday coming, then the monday after and assess the damage, and then the monday after that too after being 100% on sns for the week after my treat weekend, and see what happens. I think I need to suss out my body, see what works for me and what doesnt and go from there. I can still lose 6 stone by july right? i just need to work out what i can and cant do!

Sorry for another ramble...houston i think we have a plan!

how are you doing anyway ruby? I see you've only started recently?? Or maybe im confused?! noticed any side effects? im pretty sure this diet is making me smell!! haha!! xxxxx

Hi Hamishsmum - thanks for your reply. yeh i know its so annoying that only i can decide! I need to hire a decider I think! I don't do decisions!!!

I see your point - protein and veg for me is difficult not using the packs as i am veggie.

I don't think ill have a good weight loss cos i weighed myself this morning and i had only lost 4 pounds and i dont see how ill lose more than that by monday :cry:

To be frank I actually lost 5 pounds in the first week of closer this time and in the second 2.75 pounds so if my losses arent more significant than that on this diet i think its fair to see how ill be a bit peeved since im being so deprived of so much this time when on closer it didnt even feel like a diet!

X

Edit to above post: ill add in 3 x gym next week too as well as bootcamp! that should help!

yeah defo do whats best for you, youve got time to experiment and see what works. even if you dont stay on plan 100%, a little flexibility will help you keep n it long term rather than give up and gain even more weight.

im doing pretty good, day 10 today :) not had too bad a time sticking with it, bad breath isnt great when im at work though! been experimenting with food and loving some of my evening meals so far! tonight is swede chips, macaroni cheese and 2 poached eggs - in the oven now, cant wait!
had a few pangs for wine or my weekend vodka and tonic, but so far ive coped well with my coke zero.

Hiya

To be honest, if you're head isn't in a vlcd involving ketosis, then perhaps it's not the plan for you at this time. Coming off and going on so you're in and out of ketosis is not going to be a great time for you - you'll be filling up your glycogen stores every time you come off, then emptying when you go on, so your weight will be going up and down and up and down and you'll not be getting much beyond the hideous phase of getting into ketosis so you can enjoy the benefits.

I too did low gi (Rosemary Conley rather than Closer) and I know it's a plan that works for me. I also lost 3 stone that way, but over time around half of that crept back on. I also know that carbs are my undoing, I am and probably always will be an entire carb monster - it's my addiction and it's what's made me the size I am, so like all addictions I've made the choice to low carb to give myself the head space to work on strategies to deal with my addiction.

Nobody else can change how your head is, it's something you need to do for yourself. You mention you know all about low giing, but not about ketosis - maybe you are the type of person that needs to know all about something to feel comfortable with it, to feel like you have some control? I'm just like that, I have to know the ins and outs of everything I'm doing to get my head to accept it, sometimes I think I must drive my friends nuts when I become and overnight expert about my latest topic, but it's just the way I am. How about you take a little time out and read up on ketosis, perhaps stick with low gi until you feel fully equipped to commit to a ketosis plan?

Whatever you decide - best of luck, I'm sure it'll be what's right for you at the time :)

Hi noodles - thanks for the reply. I've been talking to my bootcamp instructors about it as they both do low carb (theyre both (female) bodybuilders!) and they were saying I must have one day a week where I 'carb up'. This is what they do and they told me i must do it too - another woman at my bootcamp (just a normal member) does the same and the weight has dropped off. I'm not saying that this is right for everyone but i really dont think the odd treat can be a huge issue! I do a lot of exercise too. Anyway thanks and good luck to you too! x

Back