The 100lbs weight loss journey SS

Blooming EVERYTHING seems to revolve around food, and you don't notice this until you try to stick to a diet.

We had a carnival week here recently and there were SO many events in the program that were food-based it really made me think about society's attitude towards food and overindulgence and obese people. The whole thing makes no sense. Almost all social events either focus on, or involve food, usually really unhealthy stuff (alcohol, cream teas, barbecues, hog roasts etc) and yet in the face of all this people are supposed to stay slim and get vilified and abused if the don't. It genuinely is a sociological paradox.

And just about every friend or acquaintance will habitually say: "let's go out for a slap up breakfast / lunch / a pizza / fish n chips / an Indian / a Chinese / a booze-up". I have found, all too often, that when I ask if we can do something that isn't food or alcohol based, they say they will think about it and get back to me, then they never do. I guess they went out for a Thai with someone else!

There was a huge banner up near my house lately advertising a day of festivities in the local park. The banner said there would be "Delicious food, wonderful home made cakes, indulgent cream teas, a range of drinks and entertainment". Each time I saw it, I pondered on the way the organisers decided to place the list of foodstuffs as the top priority over the entertainments. Almost like the entertainment was the least important thing, that all this "festival" was really about was indulging in unhealthy, fattening food and sugary soft drinks. And this in a society which is supposed to be worried sick about the growing problem of obesity.

Anyone else noticed this?

I completely agree with this. And everything on offer in the supermarket is unhealthy. In my local tesco the whole foods aisle is in the same aisle as the sweets and choc. Opposite eachother. There was not one offer on the whole foods section, turn around and every other choc had an offer on. It's cheaper to buy a 24 pack of crisps than a tiny pack of almonds. Really annoys me. Oh and don't even get me started on the price of fruit lol.

Total loss on cambridge - 3 stone 5lb :)

Hi Kaceyboo,
Of course you can, congrats on beginning, when is your next weigh-in? Let's all make this month count together

Hi 366to266,
I completely agree with your reasoning and I will go as far to say that firstly, your friends should more accommodating. They should know that the path you're choosing to follow ( I refuse to call it a diet anymore) is a path to getting you healthier and fitter so that you can be happy both outside and in.
As for advertisements, admittedly I've been reading a lot of conspiracy theories concerning how food is advertised to society, and how we are essentially bred to become addicted to these foods so there is more money to be made. Take for example a well known bread advert, I was watching it the other day and just realised how bread was being continuously advertised to children in a particular in the family setting and it seemed bread or the consumption of it is being equated with happy childhood memories, and there in lies why half of us ARE emotional eaters. I could rant forever but I'll spare you guys for tonight lol but can you see where I'm coming from?
It's absurd...

Hi 366to266,
I completely agree with your reasoning and I will go as far to say that firstly, your friends should more accommodating. They should know that the path you're choosing to follow ( I refuse to call it a diet anymore) is a path to getting you healthier and fitter so that you can be happy both outside and in.
As for advertisements, admittedly I've been reading a lot of conspiracy theories concerning how food is advertised to society, and how we are essentially bred to become addicted to these foods so there is more money to be made. Take for example a well known bread advert, I was watching it the other day and just realised how bread was being continuously advertised to children in a particular in the family setting and it seemed bread or the consumption of it is being equated with happy childhood memories, and there in lies why half of us ARE emotional eaters. I could rant forever but I'll spare you guys for tonight lol but can you see where I'm coming from?
It's absurd...

MissLaylay thanks for your response. I have a few points to make in reply. Yes, very close friends support our weight loss efforts, but in the wider circle of acquaintance made up mainly of people who seem to eat and drink to their heart's content and never gain weight (or, if they DO put on a few pounds over Xmas, lose it just by cutting back for a couple of weeks) morbidly obese people on strict diets are a big wet blanket on their fun. We bore them. We seem like killjoys, and maybe, also, we prick their own consciences about the junk they are putting into their own bodies. They don't want dieters around to spoil the fun, so they simply exclude them from their parties and invitations. I've seen this dozens of times.

I've been invited to speak at a three-day history conference next year and before accepting I took a look at THIS year's programme and guess what? There is a HUGE emphasis on overeating and drinking alcohol, which are being presented in the programme as the fun part of the event. The way the itinerary is laid out, the eating/drinking part of it has equal emphasis with the lectures. In fact, the time allotted to slap up hotel breakfasts, all-you-can-eat buffet lunches and banquet dinners is twice as long as that allotted to any speaker! Much is made of the fun of booze ups and pub crawls. Two banquet meals at Indian restaurants, with plenty of alcohol, comes as part of the price of the conference fee, and this of course encourages people to over-indulge and over-order (because there isn't going to be a bill afterwards; also, they have paid up front and want to get their money's worth). Two of the speakers even have the after-dinner spot, so there isn't any avoiding it if you want to hear those speakers. Reading posts on a forum online about last year's conference, the attendees make constant jolly references to the boozing and the stuffing. It almost starts to seem as though the entire conference and the speakers are just a "cover" or excuse for a blow out weekend. When inviting me and the other speakers, the organiser put great emphasis on the free food and drink to try to induce us to accept. It felt as though he believed (or has found) that the offer of a weekend of free pig-out works when attempting to get speakers to work for free. And then when speakers DO attend, the fact that the free food and drink is their ONLY payment surely encourages them to over eat and over drink?

I don't know at what point I will be in my weight loss efforts when this event takes place, but I don't want to ruin my diet and get readdicted to overindulgence, or to eating for fun and entertainment. My main struggle at the moment is to convince myself to use food ONLY as fuel and not as entertainment! So I have declined to attend.

MissLaylay may I beg you please not to call your realization of what is really going on "conspiracy theory"? The problem with that terminology is that it tends to make people switch off, deride the realization and mock those who have "seen the light". What we need is for more people to start noticing what you have noticed, the bread advert (same for breakfast cereals, isn't it?) instead of sleepwalking through life, which allows these bloomin' advertising nerds to brainwash us.

Nowhere is good, plain, fresh, non-branded, non-copyrighted, healthy food advertised as fun, enjoyable, desirable or delicious. Junk is always associated with energy, fun, a great life, happy families, sexiness, liveliness, laughter, and vitality (think of Coke adverts, Ronald McDonald and Mars Bars, etc ~ "helps you work, rest and play".)

Helena

Last edited:
Hi Helen,
You're completely right, it's not conspiracy and certainly for us, it's something we should be aware of.
Most events now are completely so with food because I suspect as a nation we are completely indoctrinated and seduced by all things food orientated. I have been learning that and I now take responsibility for myself, and thank God for a weight plan like this because it is opening my eyes.

Now onto what's equally important, guys please feel free to give input but there's nothing like a weight plan like this to reveal who your "friends" are. I don't even think you have become boring, I think there are more sinister reasons. As my friend said, "people are wary of the fat friend who gets skinny". First question is why now? Secondly, some do not like the idea of competition in any capacity, some don't like change and presume that weight loss will somehow make you cocky and over confident. Some friends are also intimidated by the fact you have decided to do something huge in your life, it's about you achieving something. Some people feel by achieving that, it reminds them of their own inadequacies.
What some slim people/ those who haven't had an issue with weight fail to realise, and it's something I've grown to realise is that sometimes being overweight is the equivalent of being imprisoned or on 'tag', lol. I say that to say that my weight has been a cause of so many limitations in my life. I found there is only so much I can do/participate in/go out in/ go out with, before my weight psychologically and often physically becomes a barrier. So anytime you think of eating for entertainment, you have to think of what shackles you are taking anyway by only eating for fuel. I am learning this too. Apparent losing weight is only 15% physical and the rest is psychological.

(In other news, how's everyone doing? Everyone okay)

Hi Helen,
You're completely right, it's not conspiracy and certainly for us, it's something we should be aware of.

I stumbled across this yesterday and urge you to watch it. Ignore the title the speaker is explaining about the lack of nutrition and artificiality in today's food compared with 50 years ago, and why we gain weight. He's a lively and entertaining speaker and gives out heaps of interesting info about the quality of our foods. Everyone who eats food should watch it
[h=1]Weight Loss By Reprogramming Your Metabolism [/h]http://youtu.be/RDSPwineJk8

Helena

Hi everyone, how's everyone doing ? Wow the forums been busy over the last couple of days, it looks like you are all putting the world to rights :)

well a bit of an update, im doing ok this week, my water intake isn't quite what it should be but at least Im back on track.
I've lost track of when everyone's weigh in is now, I think I'm first as my weigh in's are a Sunday morning.

Today is the first day I really fancy a glass of wine (bad week at work), but I'm going to stick with it as I know I will regret it if I have one. My friends are complaining this week that I'm back on the shakes and don't think I will be able to stick to it as they don't agree with the diet - however these are people who have never been on a diet in their lives eating and drinking anything and everything, so I've decided to ignore them and it's made me more determined to stick to the plan, I can't wait to have lost 100lbs.

x

these are people who have never been on a diet in their lives eating and drinking anything and everything, so I've decided to ignore them and it's made me more determined to stick to the plan, I can't wait to have lost 100lbs.

x

Yes they make me so envious. My b/f is 10 stone, eats fryup breakfasts every day and guzzles wine and choccie Hobnobs to his heart's delight.

You are more than a quarter of the way there! So exciting!

Yes they make me so envious. My b/f is 10 stone, eats fryup breakfasts every day and guzzles wine and choccie Hobnobs to his heart's delight.

You are more than a quarter of the way there! So exciting!

I'm the same 366to266, I'm also finding a loosing a bit of patience with my friends on occasion when they go on about "everything in moderation" which just doesn't work for me I'm afraid. One of my friends grazes all day on crisps, choc and sweets all washed down with an energy drink before having her actual meals. (Maybe one day they will know what it's like)

I'm really happy with my progress so far, hopefully 100lb will come around quickly, I want to lose a bit more than that but 100lb is the main bulk of it.

You also look like your doing really well, how many weeks have you been doing cd ?

i started my weight loss journey @341 with sw, but progress was too slow, so I know how daunting/hard it is keeping motivated and having the drive to stick to plan.

X

Hi Dedperatetobethin,
I was wondering how you're doing. Is weigh in day still Monday? My weigh in day is today so I'll be updating everyone in the next couple of hours. Hope you're okay. As for friends, again without sounding insulting to those who may mean well, why weren't they so concerned with your weight before? Or would they profess that it's healthier to do nothing? You keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. If it helps, stay away from the ones who may be affecting your morale.

I'm the same 366to266, One of my friends grazes all day on crisps, choc and sweets all washed down with an energy drink before having her actual meals.
You also look like your doing really well, how many weeks have you been doing cd ?
X

Hi Desperate... My six stone (I kid you not - she's VERY short!) lodger complained to me last week that her employer has just banned all eating/nibbling/sipping in the factory. From this I discovered that she eats a whole box of Maltesers and several bags of crisps between breakfast and lunch, every day, so the ban has hit her badly and she is up in arms about it. And of course I don't tell her how bloomin furious I am to hear about her being able to enjoy seemingly limitless junk without gaining an ounce. I bought her a Primark onesie for Xmas and the one that fitted was age 11-12!

I'm sorry you misunderstood but I am not on CD. I am purely an interloper on this forum who left a post about something that caught my eye. I did try CD but I came over so dizzy and weak I had to give it up. Why don't you take a look at MY current diet I am on MFP 366to266 or come to my diary thing where I post my menus daily. I have lost 4lb in the first week with no hunger and very good nutrition.

Helena

Hi all,
Hope everyone is well,
Just an update to say I've lost 4lbs this week which makes my weight 15:1lbs and overall weight loss of 26lbs since July 10th. I'm desperate to get into the 14s but I'm getting rather close. Hope everyone is okay.

Hi all,
Hope everyone is well,
Just an update to say I've lost 4lbs this week which makes my weight 15:1lbs and overall weight loss of 26lbs since July 10th. I'm desperate to get into the 14s but I'm getting rather close. Hope everyone is okay.

Well done Misslaylay, your doing fab :) only 2 more pounds and you will see the numer 14, 26lbs in only 5 weeks is amazing. You will be at your target in no time.

I'm weighing in tomorrow morning nice and early, I'm looking forward to it now I'm back on track.
I think some of my friends I will be avoiding for a little while, but others are being supportive. I'm just focusing on the bigger picture of loosing 100lbs , I think most of my friends have seen me do every diet under the sun so they would rather I just took a more normal approach but my weight doesn't bother them either way they just want me to be happy.

Fingers crossed for a good loss tomorrow x

Hi Desperate... My six stone (I kid you not - she's VERY short!) lodger complained to me last week that her employer has just banned all eating/nibbling/sipping in the factory. From this I discovered that she eats a whole box of Maltesers and several bags of crisps between breakfast and lunch, every day, so the ban has hit her badly and she is up in arms about it. And of course I don't tell her how bloomin furious I am to hear about her being able to enjoy seemingly limitless junk without gaining an ounce. I bought her a Primark onesie for Xmas and the one that fitted was age 11-12!

I'm sorry you misunderstood but I am not on CD. I am purely an interloper on this forum who left a post about something that caught my eye. I did try CD but I came over so dizzy and weak I had to give it up. Why don't you take a look at MY current diet I am on MFP 366to266 or come to my diary thing where I post my menus daily. I have lost 4lb in the first week with no hunger and very good nutrition.

Helena

Haha 366to266, I guess some people are just really lucky and can eat what they want (it must be nice)

sorry I just made the presumption that you were doing the cd, it doesn't really matter which diet path we choose as long as we are happy with what we're doing. Such low cal does make some people feel dizzy so it's not for everyone. I'm going to have a look at your diary as I really enjoy reading everyone's journeys and it helps with motivation. 4lb is a good loss in your first week especially if your not feeling any hunger.

Do you have set weigh in days or do you just take it one day at a time ?

X

Hi everyone, hope everyone is well, I've just had my weigh in and pleased to say I'm back on track.
I've managed a 5lb loss this week, which I'm happy with as last week really knocked my confidence at being able to stick to plan for 12 weeks.

Hope everyone else is doing well and sticking to plan.

Well done, that's a great loss.xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MiniMins.com mobile app

thank you minecraftmum and beckyboo87

i will be 100lbs lighter in no time :) I've normally given up by now as it's not coming off fast enough, showing the loss every week is helping me keep perspective and 32lbs in only 5 weeks is massive when I really think about it and how many times I've said "I will be good next week" and the month had disappeared without me actually doing anything.

How are you both doing ? Are you both doing cd?

X

Back