>>> The 2012 Six Stone Challenge Thread <<<

Is it ok to have no syns? I've been told that I should try to eat all my syns (admittedly this is by friends on the diet and not by a consultant or anything) so would I be ok not to eat any or all of my syns? Its just I'll admit I'm struggling to use them all

If I'm interpreting the plan right, the idea of syns is so we don't feel deprived or feel that anything is off limits. That way, hopefully instead of thinking that this is a 'diet' it's more of a healthy eating plan for life. Much more likely to stick to it if you don't feel like you're cheating by eating a chocolate bar or bag of chips! Have 'em, enjoy 'em but if you don't need or want them then that's ok too. :)

Hi dory,

How are you feeling today?

The plan says you should have between 5-15 syns a days..

Some people like to use a weekly countdown of 105 syns and then if they want to go over the 15 syn allowance they can.

I normally do the 15 syn a day rule but I ate too many on Wednesday so to stop me from eating too many this week I'm planning of having as many low syn days as I can. This way I still ave control of what I'm eating and don't feel like giving it up.

I was looking at the magazine though.. And in their 7 day meal plan there's not one day where the syn value is a minimum of 5.. So to answer your question.. It is ok to have 0 syn a day :) don't feel as if u need to have them if you don't need to..

Feeling a bit better today, not as stressed out about it all, although feeling a bit bloated which is kinda weird considering the amount of veg i ate yesterday! Thinking I may join SW online on monday just till i get the hang of it, see how i get on.

Regarding the syns can I sort of bank them if I know I'm going out for example? The main reason I'm asking is I'm going to my bf's friends house on Sunday (meeting a load of his friends and his brother for the first time - nervous? noooo not at all!!! :eek: ) and I know they're doing a buffet sort of deal so I'm pretty sure I'll go over 15 syns for the day that day.

Regarding the syns can I sort of bank them if I know I'm going out for example? The main reason I'm asking is I'm going to my bf's friends house on Sunday (meeting a load of his friends and his brother for the first time - nervous? noooo not at all!!! :eek: ) and I know they're doing a buffet sort of deal so I'm pretty sure I'll go over 15 syns for the day that day.

Yes, you can save your syns up if you know you have something coming up. I always try to keep them low during the week and then if something I know I've got a more for the weekend if I need them. I think my problems in the past have been where I try not to use them and then eventually have a massive binge and stop counting completely.

Might be a good idea when you go to your bf's to make something for the buffet, SW quiche maybe then at least you know you'll be able to have something free and maybe look up the syn values of some other buffet foods in advance so you can be careful with your choices. That way you stay in control and feel like you're not straying from the plan even if you have more than 15-20 syns for that day. Hope you have fun anyway (even if it is a bit nerve-racking :eek: ).

Yeah id had an idea of making some tuna pasta before I went, so that might be my saving grace lol.

Just had lunch and thought is make myself a nice fruit smoothie with some fruit I had in the freezer. I blitzed it all up and added a muller light to give it some creaminess except I didn't let the fruit defrost enough so now I have a huge bowl of sorbet! Yummmm!

dory78 said:
Feeling a bit better today, not as stressed out about it all, although feeling a bit bloated which is kinda weird considering the amount of veg i ate yesterday! Thinking I may join SW online on monday just till i get the hang of it, see how i get on.

Glad you're feeling better. It will get better with time I know it :) x

Sarah is right in regards to the syn so do as she is saying for the buffet :)

SarahCroz said:
Yes, you can save your syns up if you know you have something coming up. I always try to keep them low during the week and then if something I know I've got a more for the weekend if I need them. I think my problems in the past have been where I try not to use them and then eventually have a massive binge and stop counting completely.

Might be a good idea when you go to your bf's to make something for the buffet, SW quiche maybe then at least you know you'll be able to have something free and maybe look up the syn values of some other buffet foods in advance so you can be careful with your choices. That way you stay in control and feel like you're not straying from the plan even if you have more than 15-20 syns for that day. Hope you have fun anyway (even if it is a bit nerve-racking :eek: ).

There's lots of things u can make which are low syn for buffets like sarah says.. so search for some recipes on minimums and I'm sure you'll find something to make. You dont need to tell anyone at the buffet they are sw either.. They'll probably love them! X

dory78 said:
Yeah id had an idea of making some tuna pasta before I went, so that might be my saving grace lol.

Just had lunch and thought is make myself a nice fruit smoothie with some fruit I had in the freezer. I blitzed it all up and added a muller light to give it some creaminess except I didn't let the fruit defrost enough so now I have a huge bowl of sorbet! Yummmm!

Some people will say that you shouldn't have smoothies on sw dory just to give u a heads up.

The reason for this is because with smoothies u end up eating loads of fruit.. Which u wouldn't be able to had u eaten it whole.. So you end up eating more calories than u should have and that's what sw isn't about.

I personally think if it's every now and again it won't make a difference so I wouldn't worry dory.. I wouldn't suggest you have it every day though.

I miss orange juice a lot when in sw but a small glass is like 7 syns.. Not worth it in my opinion..

X

And if you're bloated dory then drink peppermint tea.. Will get rid of the boosting with a cup or two.. I'm drinking one a we speak :) have to have it sweet with some sweetener x

Glad you're feeling better. It will get better with time I know it :) x

Sarah is right in regards to the syn so do as she is saying for the buffet :)

There's lots of things u can make which are low syn for buffets like sarah says.. so search for some recipes on minimums and I'm sure you'll find something to make. You dont need to tell anyone at the buffet they are sw either.. They'll probably love them! X

Some people will say that you shouldn't have smoothies on sw dory just to give u a heads up.

The reason for this is because with smoothies u end up eating loads of fruit.. Which u wouldn't be able to had u eaten it whole.. So you end up eating more calories than u should have and that's what sw isn't about.

I personally think if it's every now and again it won't make a difference so I wouldn't worry dory.. I wouldn't suggest you have it every day though.

I miss orange juice a lot when in sw but a small glass is like 7 syns.. Not worth it in my opinion..

X

Ahhhh right hadn't thought about that regards to the smoothie - although tbh cos it turned into a sorbet I didn't eat a huge amount - way too cold for that! I've refrozen the rest though in a couple of small containers, maybe thats the way forward if I do it again, make a load and chuck it into small containers (think they hold 200ml?) and have it like that. Was really nice tho!

dory78 said:
Ahhhh right hadn't thought about that regards to the smoothie - although tbh cos it turned into a sorbet I didn't eat a huge amount - way too cold for that! I've refrozen the rest though in a couple of small containers, maybe thats the way forward if I do it again, make a load and chuck it into small containers (think they hold 200ml?) and have it like that. Was really nice tho!

I've never had frozen fruit.. I've heard frozen grapes and pineapple chunks are supposed to be very tasty..

Yeah batch cooking is the best thing you can do :) x

Roziee said:
Hi dory,

How are you feeling today?

The plan says you should have between 5-15 syns a days..

Some people like to use a weekly countdown of 105 syns and then if they want to go over the 15 syn allowance they can.

I normally do the 15 syn a day rule but I ate too many on Wednesday so to stop me from eating too many this week I'm planning of having as many low syn days as I can. This way I still ave control of what I'm eating and don't feel like giving it up.

I was looking at the magazine though.. And in their 7 day meal plan there's not one day where the syn value is a minimum of 5.. So to answer your question.. It is ok to have 0 syn a day :) don't feel as if u need to have them if you don't need to..

The old counting down from 105 is now frowned upon by slimming world and consultants are no longer supposed to advise that option or endorse it.

I think you should have some syns - if you have none your more likely to fall off the diet wagon and have a binge!

X x x

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins x x x

Roziee said:
I've never had frozen fruit.. I've heard frozen grapes and pineapple chunks are supposed to be very tasty..

Yeah batch cooking is the best thing you can do :) x

I love frozen fruit I couldn't live without it! Lol

I love frozen fruit I couldn't live without it! Lol

If I remember rightly frozen fruit is free but I can't remember what to do about tinned fruit. Is it free if it's in juice?

Hey slinky.. Oh is it? Ppl still do it that's why I thought it was ok.. I guess it's just to stop ppl from binge eating.. That's why I don't do it very often...

What frozen fruit do u eat?

Hi Everyone

I have been off work today and went on a bike ride with hubby! Blooming hard work - but guess it will get easier with time!

Food wise- I have stuck to plan so really pleased with myself.

Struggling with the water part of the challenge - would easily be able to drink that much wine, Baileys or Pepsi max but struggling with the water!

Cathy
X

Hi guys, it's finally the weekend!! :D

I've had loads of water today and have had apples, bananas, blueberries, peach, nectarine and carrots so SF definitely sorted! Feeling lots better and did walk to and from work, hoping to go down my allotment tomorrow morning (if it's not too cold, brrrr) so hopefully I'll get some exercise then! :)

Have a great evening everyone, xxx

Hi krafty kat theres not much difference between us at all im exactly 17 stone we can support each other if you like. :) and ofcourse you can join I did recently.

Hi Sarah, it's great to know I'm not alone!!

I started on Monday a bit half heartedly, but plan on really thinking about what I'm going to eat from Monday properly.

I bought a new coat today so I can start walking again.

Good Luck to us all xxx

Hello all

Happy weekend

Has anyone tried the new syns app on the slimming world app. I've just updated to it, you can use it to keep a track of your syns each day. I shall be using it.

BRON

had a half hearted day yesterday. For breakfast i had two wholemeal toasts with 2light laughing cow cheeses ( a + b H.E.) and then dinner went a bit mad.
had 12 midweek roasties (1n half syns for all)
gravy (god knows how many syns 3 maybe?)
lots of peas and sweetcorn.
2 minted lamb chops (no idea of syns)
a mullerlight banana and custard yogurt (Free)
a coffee (half a syn for milk)
and one mini egg knicked from my daughter.
and lots of squash

So just think i had lots of syns not enough veg and fruit xx

Back