The Beck Diet Solution Book Group

I considered JUDDD but didn't like the sounds of the losses!

I considered JUDDD but didn't like the sounds of the losses!

Only moving onto that when at goal. After S&S I know I can cope with the down days :)

I plan to calorie count indefinitely so I don't drift off and undo all the hard work but also fancy having the odd day where I don't worry about what I eat so JUDDDD seems to fit the bill for me. If it doesn't work for me in practice then I'll find a Plan C :)

Day 2;

My first diet choice is pure S&S, although a VLCD I do feel it is nutritionally fine. I also don't think of it as missing calories really as I have the calories stored as lovely adipose tissue :D
Back up diet is a low carb diet/ Original Atkins type plan.

I have read my cards today and it was helpful as it was my sons birthday. Avoided a huge birthday cake with no issue!

Day 2 for me

1) S&S to goal
2) I will either use as my back up or for when I get to goal to help me maintain either the JUDDD way or perhaps along the line of WW, I haven't really decided yet... Maybe I will see what works for me when I get there.. (Is that allowed or do I need to be definite now?)

loving some of the helpful thinking people are posting :)

Mine is S&S with slimming world as back up. I know I can lose and lose well on SW but I tend to end up falling off the wagon due to the flexibility in it. Hopefully by the time I've finished this 12 weeks (and possibly a few more) I'll be ready to try it again and would then have S&S as back up.

It's interesting to hear about what people have as their back up plans. Just out of further interest, how did people choose their back up plan? Something that's similar to S&S in terms of carbs? Experience of another diet?

Just read Day 3 about eating sitting down. That's something I usually do, I don't often eat standing up but I think that's because it's S&S so there's not a lot of eating at all! Even before I'd snack a little standing up but wouldn't ever stand and eat cereal or anything like she said. I do eat two of my 'meals' in the car though - a shake on the way to work and a bar on the way back. I usually leave the house at 6.45am and don't get back until 6-7pm so I don't really have much choice in that. I can see what she's saying though even with that. The shake in the morning is fine, I like and enjoy that but the bar on the way home does seem to disappear very quickly and I'm left wanting more sometimes. Not sure what I can really do about it, it's not a massive issue right now but it's something to keep in mind when I get to goal and start eating properly again.

I really do rush my food though, I was saying this just the other day. I'm a teacher and so though I get an hour for lunch it never is actually an hour and so I always feel in such a rush. It means that unless I'm out eating dinner somewhere I tend to rush my food out of habit. That's something that I really want to work on at the moment, just slowing down, taking my time and enjoying what I've got. Think that's probably even more important wehen you're on a diet like S&S as there's not an awful lot to enjoy!!

I've found I can eat the packs slowly but when I'm on real food I have to really think about it before I'll eat them slowly. I'm getting there slowly though on one real meal a week.

Just catching up on day 2 - my first plan of choice is S&S and I will continue to follow this til I reach 200 days (not long to go now, I'm on day 182), I expect I will have gone a little beyond my pause target by that point, and that will allow for glycogen refill weight. I will then switch to plan 2 - JUDDD with lower carbs. I've read a great deal about JUDDD and other intermittent plans, there is a lot of evidence of their success and I think it is something that can work for me. I'm staying with lower carbs as I now know the effect of carbs on my body. The couple of times I've come off plan during this time and eaten carbs I've felt terrible, so there is some level of intolerance I'm sure. I'm still not equipped to deal with the cravings I get from carbs, so I think on balance, they are probably best avoided in the main.

Day 3 - sitting down - this has had without doubt, the biggest effect on me so far. When I'm cooking I hear Dr Beck in my head all the time even before I think of sneaking a little raw veg, or tiny square of ham! I do sit down to eat, and I do eat mindfully. I put down my cutlery as I'm chewing (or the bar if I'm having one) and it really does make a difference. Slowing down your eating and giving it your full attention really brings home how much is going in, and has also taught me that my "full switch" is on a timer, rather than when I'm running out of room inside!

Day 3 SITTING TO EAT:
I need to sit to eat ALWAYS.

1. I have to make this change in order to emphasize the importance of every single calorie.

2. It should help me feel more satisfied when I do eat.

3. It will prevent me from nibbling.

4. It will make food the focus of that moment, so that I do not eat without “recording it”.

5. I will feel “visually” more satisfied.

6. It will restrict when and where I can eat – preventing “off plan” eating.

I need to eat mindfully. Use smaller plates. Make meals an event.

I remember when I was following Beck previously and I was in a supermarket in Texas - I was offered a sample of a new product to taste, I wanted to try it - but there was no where to sit!

Hello everyone! Lulu - I think the importance of having a back up diet is for if you ever hit a wall where S&S isn't working for you - this is what happened to me when I fell off the wagon last time, I kept trying to restart and failing... if I'd had a back-up diet planned which I knew I could get straight on with I think I wouldn't be back here today! Those couple of weeks where you've stopped S&S and haven't decided what to do next can be lethal! So probably best to really give it a think now, even though at the moment you can't imagine having any trouble sticking with S&S. Its an interesting diet - when you're in the zone it seems like the easiest thing ever, but once you're out of it, it can seem absolutely impossible to get through that Day 1 again! Caz - I've chosen Slimming World as my ultimate back up diet for a few reasons; 1) it has a low carb plan (the original days) which I think will suit me, 2) I think when I stop having the strictness of S&S I need a class to weigh in front of every week to keep me from going nuts with the food! and 3) most importantly, I want another baby ASAP and Slimming World is the only class you can do when pregnant. So no-brainer really! Good luck for day 3 everyone!

Just read Day 3 about eating sitting down. That's something I usually do, I don't often eat standing up but I think that's because it's S&S so there's not a lot of eating at all! Even before I'd snack a little standing up but wouldn't ever stand and eat cereal or anything like she said.

I too always eat sitting down now. Have been thinking about before in my pre S&S life :) and I am the same as you in that I didn't eat cereal etc standing up. However, I could Hoover my way through a bag of crisps or the like while I was cooking something... :-(

My worst habit was probably eating cheese whilst making a sandwich or something which involved cheese.

AH day 4, I remember this day from before... it's not my easiest one. Giving myself credit and saying well done to myself aren't things that particularly come naturally to me. I don't take compliments well and I certainly don't ever really 'big myself up' so this is one that takes work for me but each day, when I post in my diary, I'm going to try and give myself credit for something.

So yesterday's credit...
- I was surrounded by amazing cakes and biscuits in the staff room at break and lunch time AND had to take my class to a chocolate cafe in the afternoon for a bit but ate nothing. I even bought two cakes to bring home for people and didn't even sniff them!
- I felt hungry last night and so I just had a very early night to avoid the temptation, I was tired too after a migraine so it was best to
- I've been reading my advantages response card when my alarm for it goes off, something I've never bothered to do before.

Looking forward to hearing about other people's little triumphs.

Morning Caz! Well done on all your achievements! This is one I'm pretty good at (lol giving myself credit for being able to give myself credit :D) especially when it comes to weight loss, I guess because it's so clear when I've achieved something (followed the rules for the day, lost a lb, etc). I'm feeling very happy today because I went out for a meal last night, had a parma ham and asparagus starter, chicken salad for main and a decaff coffee (no sugar) for dessert - and didn't even feel deprived! (Even when the fresh baked bread was put right in front of me :D). As a result, I'm a pound up, but I know that's just the weight of the food and will be off soon!

Good luck everyone for today - the diet we're choosing to do is so extreme that we all deserve huge amounts of credit for getting this far! :D

Credit was something that felt incredibly alien to start with, but every day at 12:35 when my alarm goes off I now have a little smile and mentally pat myself on the back for a job well done :) A while ago I found 7 lovely logics that have really helped me become less of a worrier and be kinder to myself, not sure I've shared them on here before so I will do so now - if they help someone else as they've helped me - brilliant!

1. Make peace with your past so it doesn't spoil your present
2. What others think of you is none of your business
3. Time heals almost anything, give the time, just some time
4. No one is the reason for your happiness except for yourself
5. Don't compare your life with others, you have no idea what their journey is about
6. Stop thinking too much, it's alright not to know all the answers
7. Smile, you don't own all the problems in the world

I like my little sayings. I have a tattoo on my back about angels (I walk amongst angels, blessed by their souls) and are having my next one about my own personal acheivement - credit that will be there forever! It'll be - just when it thought the world was over, the catapillar became a butterfly. There, hows that for credit! :)

Day Four

Give Yourself CREDIT

1. I need to give myself credit for even partial or small victories.

2. Recognize that I am trying.

3. If I do not think I am worthy of praise, then no one else will.

4. If I do not give myself Credit for what I do well, then when I do not do well there will be no “balance”.

5. I should reward myself for meeting my goals/targets.

6. You can find ways to “give yourself credit” –-- a “tip jar”, notations in your diary, ticks on the calendar, etc.

Use creative ways to acknowledge your good work, effort, etc. – DO NOT USE FOOD!

My credit each day is for sticking to the diet.

This is todays Beck tip from the facebook page, thought it quite apt to share:[h=5]Think Thin Thursday Tip: If you’re working through the Beck Diet Solution book(s), it’s CRITICALLY important to go at your own pace and take the time to master each skill before you move on to the next one. In our work with clients, we usually spend a minimum of one week on each skill, not just one day, so never be afraid to move slowly and at your own pace.
[/h]

Back