The Calorie Counters chat thread

yo-yo-dieter

Silver Member
Would be interested in seeing how many of us are here!!

I'm Ann-Marie, I'm 32, and I currently hovver between 11st 10lbs and 11st 13lbs, but I'd much prefer to be closer to the 10st 7lbs mark!

My dieting career started back in November 1998 when I weighed 11st 5lbs and I've been a constant yo-yo-dieter ever since. I'm on a constant "on-a-diet-off-a-diet diet" and the only reason I didn't end up bigger than 13st 9lbs (June 2007) is because for every week I'd spend on a diet, I'd spend the next week over-eating so although the weight went on, it went on quite slowly over the years.

Over those 9 years I have tried calorie counting, slimming world and weight watchers until June 2007 when I went to Lighter Life and lost 3st in three months....however I have gone and put 19lbs back on since then, but I'm determined it wont be anymore than that!!

Things got worse back in January 2006 when I got myself a little car, so any walking I used to do was curtailed in favour of speed/convenience, and I even found myself driving to the corner shop (a 3.5 minute walk!!!).

So, I've now got a pedometer and aim to do 10,000 steps per day and I am doing pretty well at that....

Still, the weight doesn't come off, cos I don't seem quite to have got to grips with the whole "eat-less-than-you-burn-off" idea!

Hopefully if a few of us like minded people can get together on this thread, it might keep me spurred on! (Well, I haven't been snacking whilst I have been writing this!!!).....and if no one talks to me, well I shall talk to myself!!

So, if you're there, pop in and say hi!

I'll talk to you :D

I'm Maria, age 26, mum to Nathan 6 and Georgia 4.

Have been doing many diets on and off for about 3 years or so, tried CD, lost 2 stone on that, put it back on again, tried WW and SW and tbh that was ok, but i didnt really like all that points or sins.

Im doing the cal counting, as I like the fact that nothing is barred, if I want to have my lunch at macdonalds for 700 calories, than I can and just spend the other 600 calories wisely. (not that I do this frequently i hasten to add :D)

At my heaviest I weighed in at 13 10, I lost 11lbs by cutting back without a specific plan, I got married in October, and went to an all inclusive resort for the honeymoon, I enjoyed the food very much shall we say.

I have a terrible picture of me on my honeymoon that I really hate, and that spurred me onto doing something about the weight, and to be a bit more consistent with it.

I've recently passed my driving test, so am falling into the trap of driving everywhere.

Good luck with the cal counts!

I've got a Nathan too! Mine is only 5 though (as of Monday gone).

I'm doing okay today, my witching hour is between getting home from school at 3:30pm and my husband getting in at 5:30pm. I have no one to answer to then so I just snack, and snack and snack - however all I have had is one of those "pink and white" wafer biscuits (the one with the marshmallow in the middle - 50 cals - bargain!)

The most I have ever lost on my own whilst calorie counting is 13.75lbs. I seem to have a stone mark that I just cannot bypass - well, I'm determined this time!! I'm currently on 1138 basic calories (based on a moderately sedentary activity level) and for every 1050 steps that I do, I am counting it as ten minutes walking to try and increase my calorie allowance a little (by 25 calories), and I have a heart rate monitor to record the gym calories burnt.

I find it easier to up my exercise levels than I do to reduce my food consumption

Maria, Im curious. You said you didnt like WW/SW because of the Points/Syns, what makes CC so much easier for you. I like WW because as you say you can have a McDonalds for lunch if you want ;)

Im just interested as to how CC is so much easier than points/syns etc when they all involve counting and keeping track :)

Maria, Im curious. You said you didnt like WW/SW because of the Points/Syns, what makes CC so much easier for you. I like WW because as you say you can have a McDonalds for lunch if you want ;)

Im just interested as to how CC is so much easier than points/syns etc when they all involve counting and keeping track :)

Hi,

Maybe it's just the psychological aspect, I like to know the nutritional values of what's going in my body I think.

I like the calories to be that, calories, I think it's cos I know exactly where I am with the calories, just read the back and eat accordingly ;)

Ps, well done on your weightloss, you must be made up.

Hello there Sara, just seen you over on the pedometer thread!

Yesterday was a good day, managed to stay under calories for the first time in history!!

Allowance: 1100 + 291.9 exercise cals = 1391.9
Actual: 1352.5 cals.
Leftover: 39.4
Fat: 51.5g (aiming for less than 60g)

Not sure how I will go on this weekend, I am going Greyhound Racing tonight, and tomorrow we're off out with some friends (unless I can get out of it)

Fridays are my weigh in days and I am down 0.2lbs this week, which is nothing and I should call it a maintain really, but I'm sure if I hadn't have had a good diet day yesterday I might have found I'd have gained!

Maria - good point you made there about needing to know what is going into your body nutritionally wise, with WW/SW I wouldn't know how many fat grams I'd had yesterday but with WLR I know exactly...

Would be interested in seeing how many of us are here!!

I'm Ann-Marie, I'm 32, and I currently hovver between 11st 10lbs and 11st 13lbs, but I'd much prefer to be closer to the 10st 7lbs mark!

My dieting career started back in November 1998 when I weighed 11st 5lbs and I've been a constant yo-yo-dieter ever since. I'm on a constant "on-a-diet-off-a-diet diet" and the only reason I didn't end up bigger than 13st 9lbs (June 2007) is because for every week I'd spend on a diet, I'd spend the next week over-eating so although the weight went on, it went on quite slowly over the years.

Over those 9 years I have tried calorie counting, slimming world and weight watchers until June 2007 when I went to Lighter Life and lost 3st in three months....however I have gone and put 19lbs back on since then, but I'm determined it wont be anymore than that!!

Things got worse back in January 2006 when I got myself a little car, so any walking I used to do was curtailed in favour of speed/convenience, and I even found myself driving to the corner shop (a 3.5 minute walk!!!).

So, I've now got a pedometer and aim to do 10,000 steps per day and I am doing pretty well at that....

Still, the weight doesn't come off, cos I don't seem quite to have got to grips with the whole "eat-less-than-you-burn-off" idea!

Hopefully if a few of us like minded people can get together on this thread, it might keep me spurred on! (Well, I haven't been snacking whilst I have been writing this!!!).....and if no one talks to me, well I shall talk to myself!!

So, if you're there, pop in and say hi!

Hello

My name is Michelle and I count calories. Before doing this, I tried everything but it was something about counting calories that just fits with me! I have a small treat everyday.....100 calories (and yes it's usually chocolate! lol)

I am 34 years of age and work as a relief teacher and I am currently studying post grad.

I go to the gym 6 nights a week (2 weight training and 1 cardio). I introduced wieght training into my program about 6 months age because I hit a plateau.

Anyway, that's me.

Oh.....can I ask four questions, please?

1. What piece of clothing do you really want to wear when you are at your ideal wieght?

2. Do you reward yourself (not talking food here lol) for your weight loss?

3. 'What's the worse piece of diet advice you have ever got?'

4. What one piece of advice would you give to a person who is starting to lose weight?

Thanks beautiful people:)

I'm a serial cal counter. Did it first about 30 years ago when I put on over a stone after getting married. I was what i considered then a 'massive' 11 stone! What wouldn't I give to be that weight now!

Anyway, used cal counting over the years and it works. Its sticking to it long enought that I struggle with.

I like the flexibility and normality of it.

1. What piece of clothing do you really want to wear when you are at your ideal wieght?

I would really like to wear a nice fitted 50s style black dress from topshop!

Yes, I reward myself with something related to beauty, either some new makeup or bath stuff etc, hairdressers etc.......

3. 'What's the worse piece of diet advice you have ever got?'

Not really got any advice about diets as such, was told that I came from a family of big women, and to just accept that was how I was going to be.

4. What one piece of advice would you give to a person who is starting to lose weight?

Just to never lose the idea of the end result, to try and stay strong and not to be to hard on yourself if you occasionally slip (as we all do). If you don't see the results straight away, hang on in there, as it has to come off eventually. ;)

I've been really thinking hard about this, and it's two things. The first is a pair of jeans that I can tuck into knee high boots (or Ugg boot type) and don't look like I have thunder thighs. The second is a short(ish - I am 32!!) denim skirt, with thick tights and ugg-type boots, but again I feel my legs are too fat to get away with that. Unfortunately I think I have naturally got heavy legs and even if I weighed 9st I think I'd have big legs.

Not really. I'm a very impulsive person and if I want something I have to have it there and then!

What's the worst diet advice you have been given?

I wouldn't say it was a diet advice as such, but the likes of Slimming World where they say 'you can eat whatever you want, in however much quantity'! Not good - I'm overweight because of my portion control and lack of willpower. I need a bit of discipline.

1. Write everything down. 2. Get more active. 3. Drink more water, ooops that's three pieces!

Weighed myself this afternoon, soo wish I hadn't, have put on a lb since yesterday!! How did that happen? Damn those cursed scales, I'm not going near them now till weigh day next Thursday.

Maybe its cos I had a chicken and pickle sandwich about half an hour before I weighed? Who knows.

Hope everyone is doing ok with their cals;)

So on new years day decided to join boots calorie counting, and migrated over here a week ago to make sure I actually do it

LIES! She came on minis to stalk me!

Good luck calorie counters, shall be watching you xxx

Weighed myself this afternoon, soo wish I hadn't, have put on a lb since yesterday!! How did that happen? Damn those cursed scales, I'm not going near them now till weigh day next Thursday.

Maybe its cos I had a chicken and pickle sandwich about half an hour before I weighed? Who knows.

Hope everyone is doing ok with their cals;)

You know the rules!!! You get weighed in a morning in the nuddy after a wee!! A cheese and Pickle sandwich must weight a tonne!!! Get weighed every day if you must, but remember it's only Thursday that matters. Our bodies fluctuate so much, some salty foods make your body retain water for a short time, then it wears off etc.... Once a week to get a full picture. *wags finger sternly*

Denim skirts and boots.... I want that too :( I'd like for boots to be able to fit my calves (did ballet for 10 years so their pretty bulky)

My calves measured 17.5" when I started Lighter Life. I'd never been able to buy knee high boots from the high street. I had one pair that I'd had for 3-4 years and to be honest they were quite dated but they'd cost me £120 inc delivery (Duo of Bath) and I was gonna be damned if I would chuck them out....

Anyway cue Lighter Life, and after 12 weeks my calves were down to 15.25" and I could finally buy Knee High Boots from high street shops. Okay, it still takes a bit of "gentle persuasion" to get them to zip up. *imagine me, legs stretched out on the sofa, tea-towel in hand, firmly grabbing the zip saying You. Will. Zip. Up. My. Sodding. Leg" but hey - i can fit into them!!!

I started using my pedometer about four weeks ago at the same time I rejoined the gym, and I'm only really using the treadmill for as long as I can, then 20 minutes on the cross trainer, and my calves have shrank another 0.5"! Down to 14.75" - they still look big and solid and muscly though, but I love walking with Big Long Strides on the treadmill, you can really feel the calf muscle stetching and lengthening, and just at a touch my thighs feel so much more toned.

Hi, I've been a calorie counter too. Well at first I just cut down, my cola was a massive saving (880 cals+ a day) Then it got to where I started counting as it got harder.
I'm now doing the Paul mcKenna cd, it's working more than it isn't.

I like NOT counting calories now, as I feel it's more natural and I'm not eating to make up a number, or going hungry because I've had all my calories for that day - but I think counting calories is the best way to lose weight, it just keeps you on track and means i never had to give up my beloved kit kats !!

1. What piece of clothing do you really want to wear when you are at your ideal weight?

Shorts, and to go out in them!

Yes. Always bought myself something when I reached a target. Clothing or make up.

What's the worst diet advice you have been given?

being told that 1200 calories wasnt enough and that I should be on enough to gain my weight again LOL

Forget about the food and calorie side first - concetrate on finding your motivation, once you get true motivation then the rest takes care of itself. If you lose your motivation then you wont lose the weight.
Take photos and keep a pair of trousers. Chuck your fat clothes out as you start going into smaller sizes. if you've got nothing bigger to wear then it's a good motivator to get back on track.
KNOW there will be many times you'll cock the diet up, but as long as you keep going you will get their in the end.
Learn about maintaining, this isnt just about losing, thats just the start of it.

Another good day yesterday! We went Greyhound Racing yesterday and it was great, but the admission charge also included a free pie & pea supper but luckily I had enough calories so that was a relief. If theres one thing I like more than food, it's free food!!!

Allowance + exercise Calories + carried forward = 1482.7
Actual = 1503.9
Over Quota: 21.2
Fat: 52.3g.

Looks like I'm not gonna get a lunch today, I have to take my youngest son to a birthday party 12-2pm, then Bradford City are at home this afternoon which starts at 3pm so we're going to watch them...also that means I wont get to the gym today either **harrumph**

my cola was a massive saving (880 cals+ a day) Then it got to where I started counting as it got harder.

I like NOT counting calories now, as I feel it's more natural and I'm not eating to make up a number, or going hungry because I've had all my calories for that day - but I think counting calories is the best way to lose weight, it just keeps you on track and means i never had to give up my beloved kit kats !!

Learn about maintaining, this isnt just about losing, thats just the start of it.

I used to drink loads of full sugar fizzy drinks too, and I'm amazed my teeth didn't rot along with the weight gain. It's lovely stuff to drink, but a big waste of calories.

I like your discipline, not counting calories, but watching what you eat, and I am just not physcially capable of doing that. I think I'll be watching what I eat forever.

That sounds good, but I cant afford to go to the gym and use one :( My dad loves cross trainers as well. I've heard of Duo :) was tempted to buy some lush purple knee high boots that they had last year! Didn't want to pay the £180 for them though

I'm very lucky as even if I didn't have my gym membership, I have a gym at work (police station) which costs £3 per month to use. It's not as good as my Council Gym (£35 per month), the cross trainer squeaks and I get electric shocks off the treadmill LOL but its good as a back up when my own gym is closed. I have to go twice a week to the Council Gym to make it worthwhile, and I'm doing that at the moment.

*drools*@ thought of purple knee-high boots!!! But recoils at them costing £180! I'm from Yorkshire where our War Cry is "HOW MUCH?"

Yay - another good day. Sneak on the scales shows I am a pound lighter since last Sunday! (11st 10.4lbs today, I need to get below 11st 8.6lbs to break my duck as this was the lowest I had been since the beginning of January. Maybe I will get there next week??? Help me stay on the straight and narrow, and make sure I report in every day, will ya?

Allowance + exercise Cals - cals brought forward = 1100 + 237 - 22 = 1315
Actual: 1401.6
Over/Under: Over by 86.6
Fat: 48.5g

My new food obsession is a healthy one (YAY!!!) carrot batons dipped in low fat Hoummous - blooming gorgeous, quick to make, healthy and takes ages to eat too! A big pot and 200g of carrots comes in at less than 400 calories, and I discovered Morrisons do small pots that come in a three pack, and they are only 170 calories per pot. I had some for my tea last night and a couple of days last week it was what I took for lunch.

Back