The dreaded scales

Discussion in 'Exante' started by Andrea5867, 20 May 2011 Social URL.

1. Andrea5867

Andrea5867 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9lb(15.16%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I've read loads of threads about how you shouldn't weigh yourself every day but this is something different
    I have a new hi-tech pair of digital scales that I use bought just for the job
    They are on a level solid floor and kept in the same place ...
    Now the fun bit
    This morning I thought I'd check my half-week weight (Yes, I know I shouldnt)
    My weight was 15 9.5 meaning I'd lost 2.5 lbs so far so I was thrilled
    Not being able to control my excitement I had to have another look and I was back up to 15 11
    Tried them yet again and got another different reading somewhere halfway
    Question is - what reading would you take and how can I have three so very different readings in quick sucesssion
    Scales have new batteries so its not that
    I know I have to lose weight so it doesnt really matter but I do like to keep a track on where I am against the targets I've set myself
    Any ideas or thoughts
    Thanks
    Andrea xxx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. *jenjen*

*jenjen* I will do this...

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    20st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st2lb
    Lost(%):
    3st10lb(15.48%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    You aren't weighing on a carpet are you?

4. roannegreenway

roannegreenway Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st13.5lb(34.82%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Weigh yourself once a week preferably in the morning after a pee , that way your body has emptied out excess fluid and you haven't had your morning cuppa, put scales in same place as well... Throughout the day our body loses and consumes fluid ( god we drink enough !! ) basically don't go on them everyday and most certainly not 3 times as you will get different readings....scale hopping I sometimes feel is what makes us turn to food , cos if we see a result we like we eat to congratulate and if it's bad we eat to drown our sorrows , so come on put em away !!!! Xxx

5. tealight23

tealight23 Full Member

Diet:
    Exante
    My bathroom scales do this too sometimes and I have to move them about a bit to find a patch of floor that 'works'. I'd be cheeky and just go with the lowest. Home scales are only a guide anyway, really and are unlikely to ever be 100% accurate. The ones that count are the doctors scales.

I'm not doing weekly weighs though, just aiming for goals instead so I don't get too upset/ecstatic about weekly losses, so am weighing every 2 days roughly.

6. Andrea5867

Andrea5867 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9lb(15.16%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Thanks everyone
    To answer the question the scales are on a solid floor
    With regard to weighing three times - this isn't over the day but within a couple of minutes in the morning which is why I don't understand the fluctuations in weight
    I'm not getting hung up about it - I know I can't fail if I stick to the diet x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

7. *jenjen*

*jenjen* I will do this...

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    20st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st2lb
    Lost(%):
    3st10lb(15.48%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Maybe they are faulty? Mines fluctuates due to a floorboard that's a bit wonky so I just move it until I get the same weight 3 times in a row. It's a bit of a comedy act each morning me rocking back and forward in the bathroom whilst trying to her if I can find the slightly squeaky floorboard. I've almost cracked it placing the scales on the right place away from it lol.

8. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I actually find with mine any movement alters them even leaning to look at the reading can have it change. Ive got now that my mum weighs me, once a week, I get on stand straight and look ahead and dont move :giggle: That way the figures stay the same

9. cloud*

cloud* Gold Member

lol, I have a particular tile in the bathroom that I need to use as the weight changes from tile to tile. I'd love to leave them in the same place but dd plays with them so I have to put them away. I now get on them 3 times in a row & usually find 2 measurements are the same so use that as the official one. If you can't leave them in a completely flat place then try weighing a few times in a row & take the average or most seen. Happy weighing! (Oh & I think the Beck book says daily weighing is fine if it keeps you on track. I actually find staying away from the scales can be worse for me than weighing more often. Never more than once a day though)

10. missbiker

missbiker Silver Member

Diet:
    SW
    I'm with Star and cupcake - I have a particular bathroom tile I place the scales on, I stand with my toes to a certain point on the scales, and stare ahead until the scales flash their reading - I can then step off and read the result :)

....of course I have a wee, take off all unnecessary jewellery, clothing,etc too!!! LoL

As they say "every little helps" .... oh and I only way once a week, but that doesn't necessarily mean every 7 days as it depends on my sh*t, sorry meant shift pattern! ;)

11. cloud*

cloud* Gold Member

Oh yes I weigh after a pee in the morning before any packs/water & in the nude :) Well, you'd be surprised at how much things weigh!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.