The Dreaded Takeaway

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by acogshot, 9 June 2011 Social URL.

1. acogshot

acogshot Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Diet:
    Atkins
    So tomorrow night the guys at work are going to get a Chinese take-away, and after a quick scan I can already see that there would not be a great deal I could even consider having.

So I wonder, is it acceptable to partake in the take-away night at work or should I just take my usual Salad, eggs and a random meat? Is there anything on a Chinese menu that you guys feel is acceptable?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Neen

Neen On a mission !

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st12lb(23.43%)
    Diet:
    Gastric band/Slimming World
    I think the omlette things are OK...maybe you could persuade them to go for an indian instead..I think Chinese stuff is a minefield of sugar and carbs (sadly I love it!!)

4. acogshot

acogshot Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Diet:
    Atkins
    Omelette is my usual order, but it comes with a big bag of Chinese Chips included in the price, so I will be giving those away before the devil on my shoulder talks me into it!

Any suggestions for accompanyments? There are many veg but unfortunately most come in a sugary sauce, so perhaps Chinese Ribs?

5. Neen

Neen On a mission !

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st12lb(23.43%)
    Diet:
    Gastric band/Slimming World
    I found this after a quick google

The Safest Choices

• Clear thin soups like egg drop, which is usually thin
    • Steamed food, including whole steamed fish or steamed tofu with vegetables.
    • Meat and vegetable combinations with thin, savory sauces (a small amount of sugar may be added, perhaps a teaspoon (4 grams of carb) for the whole dish. Examples would be (in many places) chicken with mushrooms, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Szechuan prawns, and curry chicken. Again, use your eyes and taste buds to figure whether the sauce is sweet and/or thick.
    • Stir-fried dishes without sugar or starch (normally there may be a small amount, perhaps amounting to a gram or two of carb per serving)
    • Black bean sauce does not tend to be carby as some of the others (there is a very small amount of beans in the sauce)
    • Mu Shu without the wrappers
    • Walnut chicken is usually not made with starch or sugar
    • Egg Foo Yung (without gravy)
    • Mongolian Barbeque, while not Chinese, is near to it. It is a good choice, as you can choose your own meats and vegetables and prepare them to order
    Practice saying the following sentence: “Is it possible to have this dish without sugar or starch?” Many (but not all) restaurants will do this for you. An alternative is to ask for the sauce on the side.

Might be useful?

6. acogshot

acogshot Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Diet:
    Atkins
    Very helpful, cheers. Egg Foo Yung is looking like a definite possibility!

7. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    I usually have the special chop suey. :)

8. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
  9. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Dh and i regularly have roast duck and it doesn't seem to effect us at all. You cant have the pancake or sauce but duck, cucumber, spring onion and mayo is fantastic:)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.