The Dreaded Takeaway

acogshot

So tomorrow night the guys at work are going to get a Chinese take-away, and after a quick scan I can already see that there would not be a great deal I could even consider having.

So I wonder, is it acceptable to partake in the take-away night at work or should I just take my usual Salad, eggs and a random meat? Is there anything on a Chinese menu that you guys feel is acceptable?

I think the omlette things are OK...maybe you could persuade them to go for an indian instead..I think Chinese stuff is a minefield of sugar and carbs (sadly I love it!!)

Omelette is my usual order, but it comes with a big bag of Chinese Chips included in the price, so I will be giving those away before the devil on my shoulder talks me into it!

Any suggestions for accompanyments? There are many veg but unfortunately most come in a sugary sauce, so perhaps Chinese Ribs?

I found this after a quick google

The Safest Choices

• Clear thin soups like egg drop, which is usually thin
  • Steamed food, including whole steamed fish or steamed tofu with vegetables.
  • Meat and vegetable combinations with thin, savory sauces (a small amount of sugar may be added, perhaps a teaspoon (4 grams of carb) for the whole dish. Examples would be (in many places) chicken with mushrooms, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Szechuan prawns, and curry chicken. Again, use your eyes and taste buds to figure whether the sauce is sweet and/or thick.
  • Stir-fried dishes without sugar or starch (normally there may be a small amount, perhaps amounting to a gram or two of carb per serving)
  • Black bean sauce does not tend to be carby as some of the others (there is a very small amount of beans in the sauce)
  • Mu Shu without the wrappers
  • Walnut chicken is usually not made with starch or sugar
  • Egg Foo Yung (without gravy)
  • Mongolian Barbeque, while not Chinese, is near to it. It is a good choice, as you can choose your own meats and vegetables and prepare them to order
Practice saying the following sentence: “Is it possible to have this dish without sugar or starch?” Many (but not all) restaurants will do this for you. An alternative is to ask for the sauce on the side.

Might be useful?

Dh and i regularly have roast duck and it doesn't seem to effect us at all. You cant have the pancake or sauce but duck, cucumber, spring onion and mayo is fantastic:)

Back