The First Diary of Trudy C age 40 something!

Trudy, I'm very impressed with how you're tackling the overeating issue - I was going to say 'proud of you' but that sounds patronising. It's hard, but will prove very worthwhile in the end. Looking at your list of binge-triggers, yes they are refined carbohydrate based but they also have loads of fat, sugar/salt in them. These are flavour-enhancers, deliberately added to make foods more-ish. I think it's over-simplifying matters to simply pin the blame on white flour. You might have to go down the paleo/clean eating route if you want a hard-and-fast rule to follow. Alternatively you could just have a longer list of trigger foods, instead of trying to group them together under one umbrella. Keep up the reading Trudy and, if you can't be an angel over the next couple of days at least try not to go bananas - the only person you damage that way is you. xxx

Absolutely right Sara! Another okay day - gym done and almost ready to leave for the horse show tomorrow! Meal out tonight was not perfect but definitely could have been a lot worse! Off to bed for an early night so I don't spoil my day and cos I didn't get to bed till past midnight last night!
Food as follows:-
B - oatbran porridge
L - mince with tomato/courgette/quark/ cauliflower rice/ teaspoon parmesan
D - steak/prawn/small piece of hamburger/small piece of gammon/ salad and teaspoon of ice cream and cheesecake/ small glass of wine
Trying very very hard not to focus on the small glass of wine and the teaspoons of dessert - both were unnecessary so I am annoyed that I even had a tiny amount!!! Mind you I opted out of chips, my own dessert and the choccy at the end so thank goodness for small mercies and more positives than negatives!!!! LOL!

Wow, I think that food was very positive, impressive will power! I can't have small amounts of cake, have learnt this the hard way! Or small glasses of wine...
Just wanted to say, I used unsweetened soya milk almost all the way through my Dukan journey so it is definitely fine. I've now changed to coconut milk as paleo is legume-free but it's going to take some getting used to in my tea :(. Coconut milk smoothies are delicious though so I'm looking on the bright side! Have a good weekend Trudy, keep reading your books and keep your chin up xx

Trudy some fantastic advise from Sara xxx this is a difficult one and i totally agree with the 'clean' foods. I wonder years ago ie the war before processes foods weather oe was a problem? Or a result of our times xxx

Think that processed food is quite a culprit Siddid! Up and about today, just been to the nurse for my six monthly thyroid blood..... Helps if I remember to actually take the thyroxin though!!! DUH! Have remembered the last few days!!!
Don't think I will make the gym today unless the day speeds up soon - four days in a row will have to do and I will try and head there on Sunday too! Food for today as follows:-
B - glass grapefruit juice/ oatbran porridge
L - mince with courgette/tomato/ cauliflower rice and quark
D - italian restaurant - hoping to have prawns to start/ steak with salad and no dessert - no wine!
Up until this morning was going to share pizza and pasta and garlic bread with one of my gals but realise this would be totally stupid so I hope my resistance muscle is stronger than my eating one tonight!!!! LOL! Lady at the gym said to try drinking grapefruit juice in the morning as it curbs your appetite - willing to try it and actually like it soooooooo!!!!???? Nice and refreshing if a bit tart!!!! Guess it could be my conso fruit portion!!!!

I don't think you should beat yourself up about having a teaspoon of dessert yesterday, if anything you should be proud that you were able to have a taste of those things without it leading to more. VERY sensible to go with the prawns, steak and salad option at the restaurant tonight, you'll be amazed how easy it will be provided you get your order in early, before temptation can lead you astray. Have a good few days at the show, won't you? xx

Tried to upload this on my computer but no Internet!!!!! Back from the horse show and no binging so happy with that!!!! Great day with our horses taking champion and reserve!!!! They were such good horses today and we didn't get soaked!!!! No gym today but made it yesterday so five days in a row!!! Food for the last couple of days:-
Yesterday
B - oatbran porridge
L - mince with courgette and cauli rice/ muffins
D - avocado and prawn/ steak and roast veg
Today
B - sausage
L - sausage/burger/bacon
D - chicken and salad/ muffins
So not Dukan but v low carb and no over eating, not my choice today to have sausage etc but absolutely nothing healthy at the show, everything had bread or pastry!!!!!! Annoying.com!!! Still reading my OA literature, making alot of sense!!!!!

So not Dukan but v low carb and no over eating, not my choice today to have sausage etc but absolutely nothing healthy at the show, everything had bread or pastry!!!!!! Annoying.com!!! Still reading my OA literature, making alot of sense!!!!!

Hi Trudy, that sounds like great choices to me. I have always thought (and remember ppl suggesting this when I first did Dukan) if you are out and you can't find anything Dukan friendly, just go for the Atkins/low carb friendly stuff. You are still making really wise choices, so feel really good about that! :)

Take care xx

Fantastic choices and a successful day all round. Your doing great Trudy, each day without a binge is another win under your belt xxx the oe and the books seam to be answering a lot of questions you have within yourself xxx Good on you lass xxx proud of you xxx have a great Sunday xxx

You are doing great Trudy - keeping the binging under control is a major achievement - well done you - it would have been so easy to say there was no dukan friendly things so I'll just eat as much as I want - but you didn't!! Good on you!! xx with me there used to be no in between- it was either diet or binge - you've found that in between which is a massive achievement - you're going the right way gal - good on you xx

Well not a great day for me but putting it into perspective and keeping positive - had a mini binge this evening - silly moment that I let get out of control BUT i stopped before the calories got out of hand so proud of that - when I added up the calories I haven't exceeded 1500 for the day so not the end of the world!!! Also made the gym today!!! Gosh I am a wally though!!! I don't expect to be perfect - accepting that is sometimes hard as my all or nothing personality wants to throw the towel in at the first sign of trouble!!!
Just started getting organised for 9 days away from home - hard to pack for that length of time but getting there!! Hate the thought of being away from the gym for so long but packing my running stuff and will at least get out on brisk walks if nothing else!!!!
Day off tomorrow - got quite a lot planned but that is good after having a couple of weeks doing nothing with my time off!!! LOL!
Food for today
B - two slices of toast
L - small amount calamari/ 3 prawns and yoghurt dip/tomatoes/ 8 Tyrells sake peanuts (threw the rest out of the window)
D - small amount mince and courgette with quark and teaspoon parmesan / tablespoon mash/ pack wotsits/ 10 mini M&S teacakes (30 cal each)
Writing it down makes me feel even sillier but also aware that for me it was no where near what I normally would have done!!!

Trudy that mini binge was a mini binge be proud you pulled it back xxx its working, its just going to take a little time xxx

I'm really enjoying reading your diary, and am so impressed (good point, Sara - "proud" can sound patronising!) with your approach. I like the way you're looking at the positives, rather than the negatives. The reverse probably makes us binge. Interesting to note "live", so to speak.
x

Well done you! If even a mini-binge doesn't take you over 1500 calories perhaps you're not eating enough, leaving yourself vulnerable? Trust me though, I do know we don't always binge because we're hungry (in fact sometimes quite the opposite!)

Is today 'Ben-Monday'? And are you going to OA tonight? You still haven't told us the names of those books... xxx

The two books I am reading Sara are Overeaters Anonymous and The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous - the first one is other OA members stories and I found them interesting and so relevant in places to me.... Have just started on the second one which explains the process of OA in more detail so will let you know how that goes - so far I know I am in the right place and hopefully on the right path to maintaining a healthy body weight for life! I know it won't be plain sailing all the way but I think I see a light in the distance!!!! LOL!
Today I got Ben to school, made the gym, headed to town to get some clothes and do some shopping, then had a wonderful massage after which I headed to a fellow OA members house for coffee and to pick her brain which was fab.... Then picked up Ben and a friend for a play date - two boys for two hours in the pool was fun!!! Then after dinner headed to OA which was good a usual and just home now....... Loads to do before we leave tomorrow but ready for it I think! Plan of action food wise for the 9 days is to avoid bread completely, sugar and white flour, not dieting from now on but will still work on the principal of low carb, allowing myself a few extras like cheese in moderation or a sauce with a steak etc...... Will keep in touch as much as I can with minimins as you guys are really a lifeline and your support is a big part of my OA journey..... Dukan gave me the tools to lose the weight and I hope OA will give me the tools and the strength to maintain it for ever, for me conso is not enough............. Being honest about that is hard but having you lot there is helping so THANKS GALS!!!!
Food for the day:-
B - two slices toast
L - prawns and calamari with yoghurt dip/ 2 muffins
D - chicken/ haloumi/ courgette/ peppers / 1 muffin
Off to bed shortly - Ben in my bed - gonna miss my little man for the next 9 days! xxxxx

Wishing you a great trip and hope you can update us as you go :)

Back