The gym...

sophie2324

Hi all,
Im just looking for some advice really about exercise and SS. I have re joined the gym now and am going to be aiming for a minimum of three times a week where ill be doing an hours workout. Im a bit worried about my lack of energy and tiredness at the moment - is there any recommended amount of exercise or things not to do while on SS?

Ive been given a plan at the gym doing -
20mins on the treadmill speed walking/jogging intermittently...
10 mins on stairmaster/rower
30 mins of weights
Cool down 20 min swim

What do you think??
Ta, x

Last edited:
Try zero cardio exercise !

Basically anything that has you out of breath is a no-no while on SS.

Try zero cardio exercise !

Basically anything that has you out of breath is a no-no while on SS.

oh dear :-S thats not too godo with the plan i have....

I am on SS and I teach ceroc-jive as well as attend a seperate class for advanced members twice a week. I have been doing this for 3 years anyway.
If you are already doing exercise then it is ok to continue with it, but don't start anything new yet.

i thought it was only the first couple weeks on SS that u had to go easy?

Hi,

I do a very similar routine, but do 30 minutes treadmill, running all the way.

I have had a couple of times where I have felt a bit odd/light headed, but listen to your body and stop when you feel you need to.

I have not seen any real difference in speed of weight loss, but the inches are definitely dropping. I have done 5 weeks of this now and have lost 35lbs. My clothes are literally falling off me!

I am not qualified to give you advice, but this is what i do!!

With only 2 weeks until my holiday, I want to maximise my loss in weight/inches and feel this is the best way to do it. At no point have i felt ill or drained, in fact quite the opposite.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Neco

Well recently over the past year (not so recent really lol) i havnt had any extra exercise other than walking. I used to go to the gym twice/three times a week and really want to start up again to improve my fitness

i was always told that u should go easy for 1st week, possibly 2nd cos ur body needs to get used to SSing but after that, i dont see the harm in working out at all. u may be fine to work out from day 1 but like neco says, listen to ur body and take things at a pace u can handle.

Hi Sophie

I'd just recommend listening to your body and stopping when it feels too much.

I went to the gym the whole time when I was on SS... most of my exercise was running, as I ran pre-diet, I wanted to keep it up. I began after the first 2 weeks on SS and never had a problem.

I was able to run 3 miles with no problems followed by toning using weights.. alternatively I would do toning and then go for a half mile swim... i never did more than one lot of cardio a day though.

I have been training for a marathon whilst SS'ing and it is only the long runs that I never had enough energy for, up to 5 miles I had enough energy - although my speed would be slower than normal - I found I couldn't run distance at my normal speed when SS'ing.

So rather than plan ahead, I would turn up at the gym, do what your body feels comfortable and then try to do a little more gradually. Train at an even intensity, don't try to increase pace, but stick to a standard level.. and stop when you feel you have had enough. Be conscious of the fact that the more calories your body burns, it has to get from somewhere, so whilst the diet does burn your fat stores, it will initially turn to the protein stores as that is the most readily burnable store after carbs... since you are not eating any protein, obviously your body will turn to muscle store, so the key is to train gently and not put your body through too much

Thanks for all the advice guys you have really helped. I will take it all into account for when im at the gym. Its good to see that loads of other people manage to exercise :D x

i was always told that u should go easy for 1st week, possibly 2nd cos ur body needs to get used to SSing but after that, i dont see the harm in working out at all. u may be fine to work out from day 1 but like neco says, listen to ur body and take things at a pace u can handle.

Ditto :) I was also told first 2 weeks. But if it makes you feel a bit dodge then just take it easy x

I'm half way through week 5 and just back from first visit to the gym since sole sourcing. :D Felt fine doing an hour although had to go slower to keep heart rate in the correct range !

Just take it easy and see how you feel and you should be fine ;)

I do a half hour of cardio in the gym and sometimes swim as well...plus some toning weight training...

If I have a dose of the munchies, I will have a bar or an extra shake...

Back