The 'I survived...' thread

Morrigan

Hi everyone :)

Today I went to a birthday party at which there was a big buffet on offer - rolls laden with mayo, tins of chocolates, cake slices, breaded chicken etc etc. I have been on my plan for some time now and yet this kind of event still fills me with dread because it is temptation beyond belief and I can so easily eat mindlessly at this sort of thing, even if I keep the amount of food down.

But... I survived!! I ate within calories, I logged everything, I ate the salad on offer and filled up on cherry tomatoes and grapes. I stuck to diet coke and even though I REALLY wanted it, I managed to make it through unscathed. I feel so pleased with myself, I am jumping around with pride on this inside but the only people who I can really explain this to is you guys! I am just so pleased that I survived, appetite satisfied without resorting to eating for the sake of it.

So this is the 'I survived!' thread. What have you survived? A BBQ? A trip to a Chinese Restaurant? The Kebab shop after a night out?

Let's share our victories here!!

Well done!

I totally know what you mean when you talk about "dreading" such events. It's so hard, especially if like us (I imagine we all have this in common or we wouldn't be here), we lack the "stop" button when it comes to tasty food! Last Wednesday I went to a BBQ and failed disastrously (although thanks to lots of cycling I was still net only JUST over 2000 cals for the day: bad for the diet, but at least not the end of the world).

I have a few temptations coming up this week:
1) Fun fair in my village Monday and Tuesday, normally always an excuse for burgers, popcorn, chips, sweets...
2) Cinema on Wednesday night, possible dinner out too
3) Going to stay with the OH's family for the weekend from Friday. They're wonderful cooks...

What a brilliant idea for a thread! I will subscribe to this thread, if you don't mind, and note down how I've done on these challenges. It'll be a real motivator!

Thank you :)

SL xx

PS: WELL DONE again, I don't think people who are normally slim can understand how hard it is!

SL xx

Yay, I'm so glad you like it. Having somewhere to note down these achievements can be really motivating!

Your temptations are all too familiar to me! Especially the one about the cinema. Everytime I go there and manage not to eat I definitely feel I have 'survived'. Last week I did not survive and caved on the nachos - but hey, one time out of 20 isn't so bad ;)

Today I survived a roast dinner at home with all sorts of delicious foods and desserts!! I filled half my plate with veg and stuck to 2 roast potatoes :)

Great idea............now all I need to do is survive something instead of giving in to temptation. :)

Well done on the roast! Those can be so difficult to resist...especially the roasties and the Yorkshires!

I survived a trip to the tea room today. I had a slice of cake (having earned it by biking 9 miles there and 7 miles back - I got lost!), but my companions bought two slices of cake each. They didn't finish and between them left a slice just lying there.

Old me would have eaten it. But I didn't! :)

How are we doing folks? Has anyone survived?

I am currently (at this moment) surviving an evening in with my best friend and my partner. We somehow ended up with 3 bottles of wine for the evening and I have so far drunk 2 and a half glasses of cava. Amazing restraint, although it has been HARD!

There is now talk of junk food and visits to town for more alcohol.

Repeat to self: *I can do this! I can do this!*

Morrigan said:
How are we doing folks? Has anyone survived?

I am currently (at this moment) surviving an evening in with my best friend and my partner. We somehow ended up with 3 bottles of wine for the evening and I have so far drunk 2 and a half glasses of cava. Amazing restraint, although it has been HARD!

There is now talk of junk food and visits to town for more alcohol.

Repeat to self: *I can do this! I can do this!*

You can do it!!! What is it they say... Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels :)

Thank you!! Skinny does feel good! I am surprised at the restraint actually, I have nursed half a glass of wine for almost 2 hours now. With the lack of calories I'm a bit of a lightweight anyway to be honest ;)

Keep it up guys, don't do what I did and sucumb to the pizza and cider!!! Now I feel s**t :)

Well I have survived feeling hungry all day but have stuck to my vlcd. I know not calorie counting but still feel like I deserve a pat on the back so sorry for hijacking your thread lol.

Last night I survived a night with my two buds. Who are supposedly also dieting but put away a bottle of White each, a large pot of hummus a bag of carrot sticks and a bag of dorito's.

Hadn't planned to be there so had eaten all my cals :( managed to stick to diet coke diet coke diet coke and just one carrot stick with a teeny dab of hummus (just to try the lemon coriander flavour lol)

Really pleased as I guesstimate they ate a good 600 cals each in hummus and dorito's lol

I will soon be the skinny one........ muahahaha!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Legomom said:
Last night I survived a night with my two buds. Who are supposedly also dieting but put away a bottle of White each, a large pot of hummus a bag of carrot sticks and a bag of dorito's.

Hadn't planned to be there so had eaten all my cals :( managed to stick to diet coke diet coke diet coke and just one carrot stick with a teeny dab of hummus (just to try the lemon coriander flavour lol)

Really pleased as I guesstimate they ate a good 600 cals each in hummus and dorito's lol

I will soon be the skinny one........ muahahaha!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well done!!!!

I survived a meal out with OH this evening. I swapped my chips for a salad and ordered small instead of large. I was absolutley stuffed afterwards and couldn't believe how healthy I had been.
Just proves to me that it can be done, I'm so happy! :)

Yay, so pleased people are using this thread!

Snakes and Ladders - well done for surviving the cinema - wish I could say the same for myself today :eek: Trips away are notoriously difficult ;)

lass321 - don't worry, you are not hijacking at all. Sticking to a VLCD is immensely difficult, well done for keeping at it! :)

Legomom - well done for surviving your evening with your friends. I find my resolve is at its weakest with my friends and if you can survive bags of doritos, you can survive anything! I couldn't believe how much my mate and my OH were consuming this weekend. I couldn't help but mentally tot up their intake - how bad is that??! Once upon a time that would have been me too - and I wonder how I got fat!

Squeezy - well done that is awesome!! When faced with lots of delicious choices it is soo hard to choose a salad but it always tastes so much nicer than you imagine :)

Yesterday I survived getting a takeaway by eating within calories and making good choices but sadly today that resolve fell by the wayside at the cinema. Ah well, at least I know what I need to work on! Onwards and upwards!

Yes, tomorrow will be an 'on task' focused saintly day, coz today sure as hell isn't!! To be honest, just surviving today without eating my body weight in Snickers bars will be a miracle! ;)

Yes, tomorrow will be an 'on task' focused saintly day, coz today sure as hell isn't!! To be honest, just surviving today without eating my body weight in Snickers bars will be a miracle! ;)

Snap, but mine is dime bars. Stupid Ikea!!!! :D

Back